The big bang of Mustangs

Marty72

Elite member
Nice flight man, You got some stunts in right away. Definitely so much more confident as a pilot, you got some skills
Thanks, not all the skilled but far more comfortable these days. Hand launching new planes seems to be the most stressful part for me. Once the plane is up (with the space I have), I elevate immediately and sort things out. I've gotten pretty good at visually trimming planes before the maiden, hardly do any trim adjustments, just a click or two. Not like 6 months ago, where I had no idea what to expect. Sorry the video is so far away, it's just a spot in the air.

Marty72

Elite member
So I put 3 batteries through the Mustang, had near perfect conditions to fly. The balance was fine, at about 2.25 inches, just behind the ridge in the wing. The yellow and silver in the air is fantastic, much easier to see than my OD green P 40 or the Camo Spitfire. If I was really interested in visibility, I should have only yellowed the front or the rear of the plane. Anyway, the color scheme works great on a good visibility day. The invasion strips are visible but the yellow against silver really stands out in the air.

This plane is so very similar to the Spitfire in the way it flies. The differences are small (to me) and it's almost as simple as a choice to which model looks best to you. I've never flown two planes this similar. With that said, my P51 is a tad more stable and easier to fly than my Spitfire. Now, this could simply be cg placement, or the better visual ques I get from the paint scheme. Whatever the difference, it's minor. I flew the Spitfire today as well, 2 batteries. I have the same throws, same rates and expo for both planes. (as well as same C pack motor, servos and 2200 battery).

I've added the spinner to the Mustang, knowing the weight of the spinner and approx distance, it's easy to calculate the required weight in the tail to keep the balance at the same point. The new weight is 542 grams. After I made the adjustments, I verified the balance anyway. So I'm ready to go fly again when conditions allow.

I do see one down side of the P 51 body style, the ram duct at the bottom. I think that's going get really damaged belly landing.

Here's an updated picture with the spinner (next to the spit) Ok, I'm done littering this forum with my pictures.....at least for awhile.

IMG_2446.JPG

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
So I put 3 batteries through the Mustang, had near perfect conditions to fly. The balance was fine, at about 2.25 inches, just behind the ridge in the wing. The yellow and silver in the air is fantastic, much easier to see than my OD green P 40 or the Camo Spitfire. If I was really interested in visibility, I should have only yellowed the front or the rear of the plane. Anyway, the color scheme works great on a good visibility day. The invasion strips are visible but the yellow against silver really stands out in the air.

This plane is so very similar to the Spitfire in the way it flies. The differences are small (to me) and it's almost as simple as a choice to which model looks best to you. I've never flown two planes this similar. With that said, my P51 is a tad more stable and easier to fly than my Spitfire. Now, this could simply be cg placement, or the better visual ques I get from the paint scheme. Whatever the difference, it's minor. I flew the Spitfire today as well, 2 batteries. I have the same throws, same rates and expo for both planes. (as well as same C pack motor, servos and 2200 battery).

I've added the spinner to the Mustang, knowing the weight of the spinner and approx distance, it's easy to calculate the required weight in the tail to keep the balance at the same point. The new weight is 542 grams. After I made the adjustments, I verified the balance anyway. So I'm ready to go fly again when conditions allow.

I do see one down side of the P 51 body style, the ram duct at the bottom. I think that's going get really damaged belly landing.

Here's an updated picture with the spinner (next to the spit) Ok, I'm done littering this forum with my pictures.....at least for awhile.

View attachment 164795
I like seeing your litter so don't stop :D

slowjo

Master member

View attachment 164795
great looking litter, pick of the litter, I have a lot of DAD JOKES sorry

slowjo

Master member
I had Mini Mustang but it just didn’t work out like I wanted. From the start it seemed smaller than I though it should be. I had it happen once when the plans just printed smaller and it did it again. Things just didn’t line up good and I felt crap about the whole build with things that broke and got repaired during the build. I hate doing this but had to, had to let out some frustration. So I just trashed the damn thing and will have to build a new one, after all its just foam board.

View attachment 150794
looks like one of mine after a typical flite

slowjo

Master member
Ok, so I worked a bit on a molded foam canopy. Kinda worked out, but really not what I was hoping for. I’m going to trim the formers a bit and see if I can get it to look more rounded. I’m doing it with dtfb since I can run to my dollar tree and grab another sheet way more easily than buy a new pack of ftfb off the ft store. View attachment 151055
is the front of the card stock flat on the nose? I left mine rounded even tho there was no former up there

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
@Marty72 I know you changed your avatar a while ago but I want to say I really like it! The new scout 3.0 looks awesome and as always great to have Roo in the pic! :D I’m hoping to build another scout sometime in the near future. I plan on adding lights in it for night flying.