The "Simple Stick" - builders thread and plans

N827TM

I just printed and flown a 3D printed Flite Test Simple Stick fuselage. The Simple Stick has the landing gear a steerable tailwheel mod STL files. The fuselage has two hatches, a Top hatch for the battery and a botom hatch to access the servos. The fuselage was intended to have the wing hot glued on. The fuselage was designed to have any 35mm diameter motor. The plane feels more solid and true with the 3Dprinted fuselage. The STL files are availble for downloading for a small price at: https://www.rc3dmarket.com/flite-test-simple-stick-fuselage

Below are some pictures.

Tom

Attachments

• Fuselage 1.jpg
    Fuselage 1.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Fuselage 3.jpg
    Fuselage 3.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Fuselage 4.jpg
    Fuselage 4.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Fuselage.jpg
    Fuselage.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9510.JPG
    IMG_9510.JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9511.JPG
    IMG_9511.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9538.JPG
    IMG_9538.JPG
    4.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9539.JPG
    IMG_9539.JPG
    4.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9567.JPG
    IMG_9567.JPG
    926.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9593.JPG
    IMG_9593.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9610.JPG
    IMG_9610.JPG
    1,008.1 KB · Views: 0
  • PHJI5747.JPG
    PHJI5747.JPG
    5.3 MB · Views: 0

TooJung2Die

Master member
Looks great. How much more do you think it weighs than a foamboard fuselage? How did you construct the tail surfaces? They look like they might be foamboard edged with balsa.

N827TM

Looks great. How much more do you think it weighs than a foamboard fuselage? How did you construct the tail surfaces? They look like they might be foamboard edged with balsa.

Thanks, There is a little more weight added with the fuselage, I did not weigh it, I am printing another fuselage and I will weight that one. The 3D printed plane lands almost as slow as the foamboad plane. The tail surfaces are capped with 1/4" balsa and covered with Doculam, same material used to laminate ID cards. I bought the from Amazon a few years ago - very cheap compared to model airplane covering. I did that to help with rigidity of hangar rash.

Tom

TooJung2Die

Master member
The tail surfaces are capped with 1/4" balsa and covered with Doculam, same material used to laminate ID cards.

I love Doculam. I bought a 24" x 500 ft roll of it years ago. Most of my balsa airplanes are covered with it. I also use it to protect and strengthen foamboard that has the paper removed.

You might get some more ideas from this thread. Doculam Covering

VTPete

Hi all- I just built a FT Simple Stick. Super easy. But, with the landing gear support block in place, I can't move my 3-cell 2200 battery back far enough to put the CG in its proper location. It's at least an inch too far forward. It balances perfectly with a 1500 battery and my packs are 100c, so I might just fly with the smaller pack. I only have access to grass, so my options are to either go big or go without landing gear. And touch and goes are fun.
I'm not a fan of adding tail weight - so what have you guys done with yours?

Arcfyre

Elite member
Hi all- I just built a FT Simple Stick. Super easy. But, with the landing gear support block in place, I can't move my 3-cell 2200 battery back far enough to put the CG in its proper location. It's at least an inch too far forward. It balances perfectly with a 1500 battery and my packs are 100c, so I might just fly with the smaller pack. I only have access to grass, so my options are to either go big or go without landing gear. And touch and goes are fun.

Honestly it'll probably be fine. Sticks love some nose weight. Try it and see how it does. You may need a little trim but otherwise I don't see you having a problem.

mayan

Legendary member
If you motor is powerful enough the extra weight on the tail won’t change much. I add a lot of it each time I want to build the FT Edge 540.

TooJung2Die

Master member
I don't like to have to add any weight to balance the airplane. I'd use the smaller battery to get the CG right. If you really want to use the bigger battery the good news is the amount of weight added to the tail is only a fraction of what is needed to move the CG towards the nose.

dap35

Elite member
I don't like adding weight, so when I rebuilt mine, I extended the front of the fuselage another 3 inches.

luvmy40

Elite member
If you built the TimSave you should have no problem using InkScape to generate the GRBL code to cut the parts.