*Unofficial* FT Dart

Piva

Hey guys, I love this little design but I thought the engine pods were kind of an eye sore, so I modeled up some of my own to 3d print. They'll probably have to be made out of a higher temp material than PLA. This first set I made is PETG.

I wrapped the pod up over the top of the wing for some added durability. I could also easily change the thrust line of the engines, but I don't know what the optimal position would be, so they're in the same location as the stock pods.

Let me know what you think!

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2867311

IMG_2510.JPG IMG_2511.JPG IMG_2514.JPG IMG_2513.JPG

Piva

Man I like the look of those .Wish I had a 3d printer to print them on .

I'd be happy to print you out a set! If you don't mind throwing me a couple bucks for shipping, that'd be great!

PM me your address. I'd be happy to print some out for anyone that doesn't have access to a 3D printer!

Finally got my dart finished!!!!! 1105 6000kv HGLRC Flame motors with 2.5 inch props, 9gram servos, and a 550 3s battery balances perfect! Using some old 30amp mini quad escs and a matek vtx/pdb so I can easily add FPV after the maiden :)
Dart.jpg

Last edited:

Enos Shenk

This thing flies pretty great. I'm a wing fan, and I had been trying to make my own mini-Kraken type previously. I didn't bother with the plywood motor nacelle bracket things, just cut some firewalls and glued/taped them right onto the foamboard nacelles. It holds up great, but I imagine the wood adds a lot of durability.

The reflex was a bit off on mine, the first launch it pitched up sharply, but it's got power to spare so it didn't stall out. I landed and adjusted, and it flew great on the second toss.

It's got the power to climb straight up, or even take off straight up. I propped it up on the wingtips and a screwdriver stabbed in the ground, and bam she launched straight up. Definately suggest a good high-visibility paint job on this design, the small size and speed will get far enough away to make orientation a trick. I don't think I even took it over 3/4 throttle on the first couple flights, it's lightning quick. But it also doesn't fly twitchy at all, nice and smooth.

Be careful of wind though. A constant breeze is no problem, but gusts will give you trouble. A few good gusts had me scrambling to recover, and one good blow when I was at low altitude sent it tumbling. Even hitting hard, the only damage was one of the motor nacelles coming loose. A bit of glue and it was good as new.

French

Construire Voler S'écraser Répéter
Ok guys, I decided to build a dart with some left over micro quad parts. I'm planning on using a spare CL Racing F4S flight controller (built in PDB), but it appears iNav doesn't have a target for the board. Has anyone successfully setup a wing/servos in betaflight?

Additionally, how long should my motor and esc wires be ideally? I'd like to lengthen them before the dart arrives in the mail, if possible.

Parts
Lizard95 1104 6000kv motors (3S)
2540 props
Emax 30A bullet escs
CL Racing F4S flight controller (OSD, current sensor, 2A 5V regulator)
R-XSR receiver
5g servos

I was going to install male servo connectors onto the motor 3&4 outputs.

Last edited:

Piva

IMG_2656.jpg

So I maidened my Dart and had a pretty good head on impact. Nothing major broken and was able to get it trimmed out and finish off the battery.

By the time I had it trimmed out though, pretty much all of the reflex had been taken out and it seemed to wobble left and right on the z axis and was a bit twitchy with the elevator. I had differential thrust turned on but expo'd almost completely out so I know I wasn't inadvertently bumping the stick. I did make a bevel cut on the underside of the elevons. Could that have given it relflex without having the elevons physically raised up a few degrees?

My question is, what does a wing with the CG too far forward feel like? I've got the battery pushed as far forward as possible and I'm thinking maybe it's too far forward?

Morgan

View attachment 106852

So I maidened my Dart and had a pretty good head on impact. Nothing major broken and was able to get it trimmed out and finish off the battery.

By the time I had it trimmed out though, pretty much all of the reflex had been taken out and it seemed to wobble left and right on the z axis and was a bit twitchy with the elevator. I had differential thrust turned on but expo'd almost completely out so I know I wasn't inadvertently bumping the stick. I did make a bevel cut on the underside of the elevons. Could that have given it relflex without having the elevons physically raised up a few degrees?

My question is, what does a wing with the CG too far forward feel like? I've got the battery pushed as far forward as possible and I'm thinking maybe it's too far forward?
are those 3 or 4 in props?

foamtest

Toothpick glider kid
I wonder if you could mount the motors on the elevons to give it extreme authority on all axis's... could be a fun project.

Morgan

I wonder if you could mount the motors on the elevons to give it extreme authority on all axis's... could be a fun project.
Wow that could get rather crazy very fast! Add differential thrust to that and it could get really insane !

foamtest

Toothpick glider kid
I might have to make a versa wing and try this with some miniquad motors... too many ideas and too little time.

TheJuan

Well I tried to madin my dart, I calibrated the ESCs and all it wants to do is pull right. Even at half throttle I get more Thrust out of the left engine then I do on the right engine any ideas?