*Unofficial* FT Simple Scout

Airkaos

I use the C pack.
What battery are you guys using with power pack C?? Thats all I had laying around, and my big 2200 batteries won’t fit.

B0C4C41E-AD3F-429F-A6B5-CC097A4BBB73.jpeg

d8veh

Elite member
I use around 1600mAh on my Scout. Just make sure it has a high enough C-rating. I always allow a 50% safety margin. You'll need around 20A, so dounled is 40A. Divide it by 1.6 gives 25, so you need one thatsat least 25C.

P-loco85

hey guys.

just finished my scout last night.

I'm trying to run

2212 1000 kv
9045 prop
2s 1500 nah
9g servos

but its completely tail heavy.
I have servos in location as directed.

is my motor not heavy enough. I stacked two batteries but still cant balance. I feel like I would need alot of extra weight...were did I go wrong?

maybe make a heavier power pod

Attachments

• 20190318_234514.jpg
    20190318_234514.jpg
    8 MB · Views: 0
  • 20190318_234529.jpg
    20190318_234529.jpg
    1,015.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 20190317_223717.jpg
    20190317_223717.jpg
    7.2 MB · Views: 0

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
hey guys.

just finished my scout last night.

I'm trying to run

2212 1000 kv
9045 prop
2s 1500 nah
9g servos

but its completely tail heavy.
I have servos in location as directed.

is my motor not heavy enough. I stacked two batteries but still cant balance. I feel like I would need alot of extra weight...were did I go wrong?

maybe make a heavier power pod

Is that the Dollar Tree foam board? It looks like the Elmer's or another type which are generally heavier and can cause problems like this.

Adding extra weight should be the last resort as it'll usually make the plane harder to fly. I'd suggest moving the servos way forward, and doing things like cutting the foam out of the bottom of the fuselage and replace it with a lighter cardstock (similar to the turtledeck) to help reduce weight in the tail.

P-loco85

now that I think about it, it was my first attempt plane and I bought the foamboard from Walmart which was Elmer's. and yes once I found Dollarama Foamboard it was probably twice the weight.

I should just try and do it again but with the lighter foamboard and use lighter gauge pushrod. it was good practise and I learnt good techniques in the process.

my other models use lighter foamboard so hopefully no issues going forward.

P-loco85

well I gave it a go and cut it some relief sections around the tail.

still tail heavy.

I'm convinced it's the foam. this fuselage is still a solid structure! not even weaker with the cutouts. this would be great if I had heavier equipment but I dont.

so I will cut it up and section the wing for profile samples.

it was fun putting her together, will be even funnier when I get to build it again with lighter foamboard.

Attachments

• 20190319_221410.jpg
    20190319_221410.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20190319_221358.jpg
    20190319_221358.jpg
    894.2 KB · Views: 0

Winglet

That Walmart Elmer's Foamboard is a killer. I have seen so many first timers build beautiful models only to have them not fly or barely fly because they are simply too heavy and usually fatally tail heavy. Yep, the Elmer's board is your problem.

checkerboardflyer

Not sure if it has a name, but the idea is to make a painting mask by using the stencil punch out parts to mask the paint. Why 2? Building 2 Simple Scouts and want to have a way to distinguish one from the other in the transmitter. More tips at: https://foamboardflyers.com/

Attachments

• 16-two-2s-laying-down-fbf.jpg
    16-two-2s-laying-down-fbf.jpg
    240.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 14-mask-fbf.jpg
    14-mask-fbf.jpg
    287.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 15-two-2s-fbf.jpg
    15-two-2s-fbf.jpg
    268.7 KB · Views: 0

Jackson T

Elite member
well I gave it a go and cut it some relief sections around the tail.

still tail heavy.

I'm convinced it's the foam. this fuselage is still a solid structure! not even weaker with the cutouts. this would be great if I had heavier equipment but I dont.

so I will cut it up and section the wing for profile samples.

it was fun putting her together, will be even funnier when I get to build it again with lighter foamboard.
How large and heavy is a sheet of Elmers?

checkerboardflyer

Things are beginning to come together on the Scouts. I am happy with the way that the tail feathers turned out. After I glue #2 together the servos will come next. The servos on #2 will be on the inside of the fuse as designed. On #1 I did not make slots for the elevator and rudder pushrods. Thought that I could weave them through the openings between the balsa sticks. Nope. So the plan is to mount the servos on the outside of the fuselage. We'll see how that goes. More tips at: https://foamboardflyers.com/

Attachments

• 23-scout-one_two-fbf.jpg
    23-scout-one_two-fbf.jpg
    266.8 KB · Views: 0