*Unofficial* FT Simple Stick

Gilwo

SPONZ. I don't want to bug you on this because you have done me such a great service with the plans for the Simple Stick. I think I already wrote you about this over the weekend but doggone if I can find the email I sent. So this may be redundant or it may be the first you've read me writing it.

I bought two kits for the Simple Stick, built one, one for spare parts. A good friend's Timber sliced my Stick in half. Your plans show the fuselage to be A fold but my second kit and the YouTube video by Josh Bixler says that the Fuselage is a B fold. Looking at the parts, I don't think I see any way for one to actually build it with A fold but I have certainly been wrong in the past. Maybe this time as well.

AIRFORGE

Make It Fly!
SPONZ. I don't want to bug you on this because you have done me such a great service with the plans for the Simple Stick. I think I already wrote you about this over the weekend but doggone if I can find the email I sent. So this may be redundant or it may be the first you've read me writing it.

I bought two kits for the Simple Stick, built one, one for spare parts. A good friend's Timber sliced my Stick in half. Your plans show the fuselage to be A fold but my second kit and the YouTube video by Josh Bixler says that the Fuselage is a B fold. Looking at the parts, I don't think I see any way for one to actually build it with A fold but I have certainly been wrong in the past. Maybe this time as well.
I'm looking at the plans, which have the fuse marked as an A-fold, and it appears you are correct, and it should be marked as a B-fold. An A-fold will not work on the fuse, as designed.

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor

You are 100% correct! I made a mistake and put the A-Fold symbol on there. The kits have it properly labeled/etched as a B-Fold. I will get the plans updated and sent in to correct my mistake. Thanks @Gilwo for pointing that out.

chris398mx

Master member
Shouldn't the area marked with an arrow also be hatched? I thought I saw josh pull the foam off of this part as well and fold over the paper around the dowel. Not trying to nit pick, just want to help others who are trying to build this awesome plane.
1625803017056.png

Here is one more. I think the area marked below should not be hatched. I removed the foam from this area, but I think it stays and gets bevel cuts to make a hinge for the hatch. He shows this at about 46:30 of the build video.
1625803170249.png

Last edited:

Gilwo

Shouldn't the area marked with an arrow also be hatched? I thought I saw josh pull the foam off of this part as well and fold over the paper around the dowel. Not trying to nit pick, just want to help others who are trying to build this awesome plane.
View attachment 203103

Here is one more. I think the area marked below should not be hatched. I removed the foam from this area, but I think it stays and gets bevel cuts to make a hinge for the hatch. He shows this at about 46:30 of the build video.
View attachment 203104
I totally agree with chris398mx. Josh describes the process in the video. I'm not clever enough to use my own words to describe this but Josh makes it clear in the video. I think I would just print "watch this in the build a Simple Stick video" in this area.

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
View attachment 203103

View attachment 203104
Excellent finds. I'll be sending updated plans to FT this afternoon with all the corrections. Thanks for finding and reporting them back to me.

Javiester

Elite member
SP0NZ thank you very much for this classic
It would also be appreciated to mark the CG in the plans
Thank you

M

MCNC

Thanks much. For those of us who printed the tiled plans already, can you tell us which tiles were modified? Or do the plans already indicate that somehow?

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Thanks much. For those of us who printed the tiled plans already, can you tell us which tiles were modified? Or do the plans already indicate that somehow?
Nothing on the plans. But I can get that info and post it here.

CappyAmeric

Elite member
could this work on a 2200 3s, that is the only decent bat that I have, and I want to build it at FF
For sure with with a C motor, I always use 2200 or more 3s.

That said, I just upgraded my Red Bull Stick (Simple Stick, in RB livery) to a FlexInnovations' Potenza 10 1400KV - it is the most over-powered flying machine in my hanger. Very fun, very fast, and because you only use that power for a fraction of the time (most of the time at 25% throttle), I still get 7 minutes out of a 2200 3s.

https://www.flexinnovations.com/product/potenza-10-1400kv-motor-3s/

FlyerInStyle

Elite member

That said, I just upgraded my Red Bull Stick (Simple Stick, in RB livery) to a FlexInnovations' Potenza 10 1400KV - it is the most over-powered flying machine in my hanger. Very fun, very fast, and because you only use that power for a fraction of the time (most of the time at 25% throttle), I still get 7 minutes out of a 2200 3s.

now that I think about maybe a legacy might be better as a trainer.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor

That motor is just insanely powerful. When I upgraded the motor in my mamba I put the 1400kv into my eflite leader and it’s a perfect fit!

CappyAmeric

Elite member
That motor is just insanely powerful. When I upgraded the motor in my mamba I put the 1400kv into my eflite leader and it’s a perfect fit!
LOL. I upgraded my QQ Extra 300 for 4s, which gave me the 1440kv to put in my Simply Stick. The first test flight, I ripped the wings off going so fast. I beefed up the wing attachment points and now it is a real rocketship.

Gilwo

Sponz will probably reply that the changed tiles are A2 (Fuselage), A12 (CG Right Wing), A13 (Hatch double bevel), A18 (CG Left Wing). But he may well have changed something else he spotted on his own independent of what several of us have pointed out to him. Boy, talk about responsive. He's terrific!

AIRFORGE

Make It Fly!
Sponz will probably reply that the changed tiles are A2 (Fuselage), A12 (CG Right Wing), A13 (Hatch double bevel), A18 (CG Left Wing). But he may well have changed something else he spotted on his own independent of what several of us have pointed out to him. Boy, talk about responsive. He's terrific!
A2, 5, 6, 12, 13, 17.

Last edited: