*Unofficial* FT Simple Stick

craigleach

I read a FB post that Flite Test is going back to the brown foam. I was not willing to purchase the Simple Stick in the white foam due to a bad experience with two other kits in white foam. So, i was hoping to purchase a Simple Stick in brown foam but now the store says “discontinued online”.

AIRFORGE

Make It Fly!
I read a FB post that Flite Test is going back to the brown foam. I was not willing to purchase the Simple Stick in the white foam due to a bad experience with two other kits in white foam. So, i was hoping to purchase a Simple Stick in brown foam but now the store says “discontinued online”.

Posted by J Bixler on Fb:

When COVID hit, the quality and consistency of the maker foam changed from the original approved and tested foam that had both awesome water resistance and adhesion. We isolated all the bad foam that we could the moment we found the issues. Later discovered both the coaters and the mill changed the recipe without communicating due to labor and material shortages. We made things right with anyone who let us know and moved to whole line back to Flitetest foam to prevent any additional quality issues. Talk about heartbreaking.

2020 had a lot of challenges and this one was one of the biggest for us. The brown Flitetest quality is still rocking it with Both water resistance and adhesion. And I’m going to even think of introducing an alternative until we’re 110% confident something like this will never happen again.

I truly appreciate everyone’s support and patience. We always want to make sure that everything we put out is the best I can be and if we need to make anything right with anybody, please let us know and we will do so immediately.

You guys deserve the best and we want to give it every time!

Josh B

https://m.facebook.com/groups/FlitetestFans/permalink/2877990075752854/

Last edited:

Mr.Grinch

@Addicted thanks for bringing that over for the rest of us to see. I try to avoid mainstream social media, so news like this I likely would never have seen. This forum is the only way I say current with anything regarding FT. I’m glad there was at least some communication going on, but i do wish they would still keep a presence here, even if it were just a copy and paste from wherever else they are posting.

1958 MGA

Posted by J Bixler on Fb:

When COVID hit, the quality and consistency of the maker foam changed from the original approved and tested foam that had both awesome water resistance and adhesion. We isolated all the bad foam that we could the moment we found the issues. Later discovered both the coaters and the mill changed the recipe without communicating due to labor and material shortages. We made things right with anyone who let us know and moved to whole line back to Flitetest foam to prevent any additional quality issues. Talk about heartbreaking.

2020 had a lot of challenges and this one was one of the biggest for us. The brown Flitetest quality is still rocking it with Both water resistance and adhesion. And I’m going to even think of introducing an alternative until we’re 110% confident something like this will never happen again.

I truly appreciate everyone’s support and patience. We always want to make sure that everything we put out is the best I can be and if we need to make anything right with anybody, please let us know and we will do so immediately.

You guys deserve the best and we want to give it every time!

Josh B

Still wondering when the plans will be available for the FT Simple Stick, Foam board issues aside those of us that scratch build are anxiously awaiting the plans most of us have already built the unofficial Simple Stick while we have been waiting. I would like to build the FT version and put it on floats. Hope to see the plans soon!!

GrizWiz

Elite member
Still wondering when the plans will be available for the FT Simple Stick, Foam board issues aside those of us that scratch build are anxiously awaiting the plans most of us have already built the unofficial Simple Stick while we have been waiting. I would like to build the FT version and put it on floats. Hope to see the plans soon!!
They may not be releasing them but we are not sure... Since FT said they are not releasing plans for the new mini ms series too!

1958 MGA

I hope they change their minds on releasing more plans. The free plans and great designs is why I got back into this hobby.
I also wish that they would revisit the Fokker DR1 and the Spad to build a user friendly sized one of at least 36" wingspan. The Mini DR1 fly's fine but I prefer something a bit bigger.

craigleach

For those of waiting for the free plans, have a look at JB Simple Stik. This is almost identical to the FT Simple Stick and the plans are available on this forum.

1958 MGA

Well I just printed the plans for this JB Simple Stick, I guess I will try to build it this weekend. I like the Idea of the Symmetrical wing and that it will take the FT floats. I might build some Ski's for it as well.

DavidM

For those of waiting for the free plans, have a look at JB Simple Stik. This is almost identical to the FT Simple Stick and the plans are available on this forum.
I just finished my second JB SS. Good design. I found by adding 4 additional score lines to the wing helped to get a better symmetrical shape.
16119540861002052023807557995224.jpg
20210127_015145.jpg

DavidM

Just put the basics together on the weekend. Need to install the electronics and ready for maiden soon.
Any idea of where the CG is on this one? View attachment 191099
Measure the underside of the wing. Leading edge to trailing edge. Divide the measurement by 3 and again by 4.
I choose between those 2 numbers for a starting point for the CG.

1958 MGA

Thanks, I was going to start at 1/3 back from the leading edge. These foamy's are very forgiving, but I do like to have a starting point.