Help! Using bevel cuts rather than A or B fold?

ark

I have one of these bevel cutters and it works really well. I've never really liked A and B folds so for my next plane (a pusher Hangar Simple Stick with FPV) I thought I would just cut bevels for the square profile body and fold it up. It sure was quicker and easier to build. Has anyone else done this? Have you found it stronger or weaker? I expect it will be lighter. Here's the motor mount in case you were wondering.

IMG_3157.jpg IMG_3158.jpg IMG_3159.jpg

Last edited:

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
A pusher simple stick, I like it! I’ll be eager to see how it turns out. I don’t see any issues with the bevel method, but for people without the tool it would just be easier to make the A and B folds. I’m guessing the final product is stronger with the bevels.

Reactions: ark

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
Should work ok, but be careful doing that with some items; if you are building a fuselage which requires a power pod to slide inside, for example, you'll need to adjust the cuts to account for the different thickness from the bevel cuts, as opposed to an A-fold.

TEAJR66

Flite is good
Mentor
A and B folds made for consistency. Made things very repeatable.

It also simplifies plans. An A fold will fit in a B fold of the same dimensions. Power Pod has an A fold that fits in the B folded fuselage.

Your firewall will add a lot of strength, like sway bracing, to make the bevel folded fuse more solid.

Have fun and experiment. Try and fly. Share your results. But most of all, be safe and have fun.

Reactions: ark

Ryan O.

Out of Foam Board!
I do see one main benefit of this, less work when upscaling or downscaling plans while using the same foam thickness.

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
A and B folds made for consistency. Made things very repeatable.

It also simplifies plans. An A fold will fit in a B fold of the same dimensions. Power Pod has an A fold that fits in the B folded fuselage.

Great minds think alike; that’s where I was trying to go with fitting the power pods inside the fuselages. 😁