Versa and Mini Versa Build

ikem

Decided to build a Versa, and I had enough foam to do a little mini versa.

Here is the hardware!

Versa
  • Turnigy SK3 1020kv
  • 8.5x5 (Blunt Nose, cut from 11x5) CF Prop
  • 2200mah 3s
  • Orange RC 8ch RX
  • Turnigy Metal gear servos
  • Elmer's Foam Board
  • Skywalker 30a ESC
  • FT Pushrods and Control Horns

AUW (estimated) 1100g

Mini Versa (16 inch)
  • Turnigy 1811 2900kv
  • 4x3 (Blunt Nose, cut from 5x3) Prop
  • Zippy Compact 350mah 2s
  • Orange RC 6ch RX (stipping the plastic case)
  • Turnigy Micro servos
  • Elmer's Foam Board
  • Turnigy Plush 6a ESC
  • FT Pushrods and Control Horns

AUW (estimated) 130g

I have the crafts built, and some things installed, but I have a lot ordered and just waiting on things.

I will post pictures later.

ikem

ok, got everything in the micro versa. everything works, but CG is still way off... i even added a good weight to the tip... so i just keep adding until it is correct?

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Pretty much.

Only other alternitives is to either cut lightening holes in the back and cover with tape, or crate a nose pod to move the weight farther forward.

If you started over, you could try building one with the inside paper stripped, but that's not going to happen with elmers . . . and no Idea how much that would help overall.

ikem

Pretty much.

Only other alternitives is to either cut lightening holes in the back and cover with tape, or crate a nose pod to move the weight farther forward.

If you started over, you could try building one with the inside paper stripped, but that's not going to happen with elmers . . . and no Idea how much that would help overall.

Ill figure something out... Looks awesome as is and it flew, but not well...

ikem

well after failing alot... i am giving up on the mini versa. good waste of money... tried getting everything right, but all it does it flip. It glides ok, but i cannot get anything stable.. doesnt even work in tractor config.

ikem

so the wind finally died down and i maiden-ed the versa. After getting a good launch, I got a little flight out of it... but i had full up, no aileron control and 100% throttle. It was at high alpha and finally stalled out 50 ft down the field.

Is this both tail heavy and under powered? or do i just need more speed on this heavy versa?

quorneng

Master member
Perhaps the answer is lies in the fact that is a heavy versa.
The power required to fly is directly proportional to its weight. :)