Warbird Theme

Hey all,

I know that the FT crew has mentioned a couple of times that the event will have somewhat of a warbird theme. FT is releasing 3 warbirds in the month before the event (The first being the P-51).

I want to know what warbirds we'll see at the event!

While I'm still figuring out if I can attend, I did have a couple foamboard scratch builds in mind:

1. T-6 Texan - scaling it to the P-51/Spit would make it about 40 inches I believe

north-american-at-6-texan.jpg

2. C-47 Skytrain - approximately 100"

C-47A_Skytrain.jpg

I would love to hear anyone else's creative ideas!

Jake

rcspaceflight

creator of virtual planes
Fun Fact: During the Vietnam War, the airframe of the DC-3 (also used for the C-47) was used to create the AC-47. Which is basically a DC-3 with three guns mounted out of the left side of the fuselage, controlled by the pilot. The Vietcong said it looked like a dragon, which is how it got the (American) nickname "Puff the Magic Dragon". :D

I love the DC-3/C-47/AC-47.

I wonder if any one has built a Dollar Tree foam board Texan. It seems like it would be a great first warbird.

Dreamwalker

Less than 250 Grams!
It would be great if someone could design a simple method for building "Round" engine fuselages. There're quite a few planes, besides the AT6, that I want to build.;)

For myself, I'm finishing up an 800mm P51B Mustang, based on the design by "Ultramicrobe". (A.K.A. Patrick)
I'm working on the turtle decks now and can't wait to see it finished.
If all goes well, I may get to maiden it Mothers day. :D

Tom

rcspaceflight

I looked around a little bit and the only RC DC-3s that I've seen are balsa. I think a foam board DC-3 is going to have to be my next project. I'm adding it to my list!

But I'm going to shoot for a 60" wingspan on the DC-3. It's not going to be a swappable, so it could certainly be scaled up to your 100" wingspan estimate. It looks like 6.5" to 7" props are needed to keep them scale for a 60" wingspan version. So I don't think I could really go any smaller than a 60".

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
Sticking with the warbird theme, my current list of attendees will be:
Top Flite AT-6 Texan electric conversion
CMP Piper L-4 Grasshopper (72" WS)
Combat foamy SB2C Helldiver (own design)
Park Flyer Plastics cartoon P-40 (maybe)
137% Funder and lightning: Fully built up out of DSFB. Design based on the P-38, guns of a P-47, Shark nose of a P-40, Canopy from and F4U, invasion striped of a P-51 (did I miss anyone?)
Durafly P-51 (maybe)
SE5a: currently being scratchbuilt from DSFB. If its done I will bring it instead of the P-51. The goal is to NOT bring the P-51.

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
That has been a long build. I've not done anything on it for awhile now. Its my favorite plane and I want to make sure I can build it right the first time.

RoyBro

Mentor
It would be great if someone could design a simple method for building "Round" engine fuselages. There're quite a few planes, besides the AT6, that I want to build.;)

I'm sure it can be done. The key would be to remove the paper on the inside of the DTFB and bending it over a couple of formers inside to keep the round shape. I'll bet that Ed at experimental airlines would be able to do it, no problem.

marc60

I'd like plans of the C47 skytrain.
Maybe because I live at the dropzone of operation Market garden (1944, the battle of Arnhem). My father lived in Oosterbeek during the
battle. Every year there are still para droppings at Ginkelse heide. Almost every year there's a skytrain too. I like their sound
grts Marc

rcspaceflight

I'm sure it can be done. The key would be to remove the paper on the inside of the DTFB and bending it over a couple of formers inside to keep the round shape. I'll bet that Ed at experimental airlines would be able to do it, no problem.

For a round engine pod I was thinking of trying making two or three formers and then using bamboo skewers to glue them together. Then wrap the whole thing with poster board/paper. It would be easy and reasonably round.

rcspaceflight

I'd like plans of the C47 skytrain.

I haven't worked on my design in too long. (See signature.) I should go back to it. I know enough people want to build it that I'm sure if I got the design done, I don't actually have to build and test it. Someone else would do that for me. :p