Where there's a will, there's a way

fliers1

I like the training idea, and judging by what you have said so far, I am guessing you don't need to be a professional sponsored pilot of 20 years to get someone comfortable enough to fly a trainer plane on their own. Do you have any resources one could read, watch, or look at to be that trainer to get the experience out there?

My experience was because I was pretty much self taught, trial and error, process of elimination till I got it right. Other then getting verbal advice here on the forums and from YT there was no one there to guide my sticks for me. That's one of the reason I had to build so many planes, might have some stubbornness in there as well :p

AMA has been acutely aware of this method since 1998 and 2000 at their Grand Event. I gave a demonstration at Muncie HQ with officials watching. My point is that this method should have been out in the public and in every club, decades ago but they chose to ignore it. If it had been, you and thousands of others wouldn't have had to crash many times to finally learn. The secret to my method might be something that you can do yourself. That is to concentrate on what your thumbs are doing on the sticks. There should be no quick jerky movements. Think of how you steer a bicycle or drive a car. You barely move the handle bars or steering wheel. I have every trainer I fly trimmed out so it will fly hands-off. Also, I don't have the plane flying too fast or too slow, sort of a Goldy Locks setting...flying at just the right speed. Slightly above landing speed, maybe a little more. For those who shoot guns, you squeeze the trigger not pull it.

That's about all I could tell you in print. You could practice using a simulator and/or "dry fly" sitting in front of the tv or anywhere. Pretend that your flying and barely move the stick. BTW, using my method, my students almost never have a problem facing the plane coming towards them. No control reversal problems, even on their very first lesson. Again, if given the chance, I can prove everything I claim.

Some people think that kids aren't interested. No, it's not because of instant gratification. Everyone wants to learn ASAP. Come to think of it,
if it was the instant gratification thing, my method is tailor made for instant gratification. I've trained many kids, from 9 years to teens.
I spent 7 hours one day teaching around 100 cub scouts. I had to quit when I recognized the same kids coming for a second round. lol

I can't get an answer from AMA HQ as to why they won't send someone to me so I can train them what I call the Ragland Technique. So maybe someone should try to contact them and ask them why. They know full well that it works as well as I claim.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Ok so I am trying to figure this out. Is this thread you started, which has got my attention for sure because I am interested in where this is going, about getting others to help train new comers, or is it about the awareness that there needs to be a more open attitude towards flying RC, or is it about your Ragland technique that has a secret sauce to it that I haven't picked up on?

All my planes are trimmed to pretty much hands off, some more then others, and I can teach people anything if I know about it. I do have a couple of buddies that are showing interest in flying RC. Is it that you don't buddy box, you move the sticks with there hands on the sticks with them? Sorry if I seem confused. I have the will, I just need the way!! :LOL::ROFLMAO:

fliers1

The best that I can put is, all of the above. I used to use a buddy-box many moons ago and found that my students were banging the sticks around. So with cord attached, I reached over with my right hand and put my thumb and forefinger underneath their thumb to show them the correct way to move the stick. It was then I realized that I didn't need the cord. You transfer how you would fly the plane to your student.
It's called kinesthetic instruction. They get to feel exactly how to move the stick. Communication step by step.
This is how I've seen other instructors teach, Spektrum Dx6i Buddy-Box Training with Laura learning to fly the Gladius Plane - YouTube

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
The Ragland Student Training Technique | AMA Flight School this is how I teach. This is in the first 5 minutes of his first ever lesson. Notice how I had the next lad look at the transmitter and not the plane. I use this technique once in awhile so the student can see and feel how to move the stick at the same time. Notice how windy it is and the how the instructor has his hands in his pockets.
So I just watched the YT vid of Laura... I will say there was so many things wrong with that situation. Correct me if I am wrong, IMO it was the wrong plane, short coupled doesn't help, zero orientation possibilities for even a intermediate pilot. Plane was to fast, could have a slower airframe for sure. The instructor went straight into trying to correct her verbally instead of encouraging her. She never spoke a word, there was no feedback from the student. He was kind of insulting as well. To many other distractions as far as other people in her ear. And on the brief shot you got of her transmitter I think she was on high rates. Ok so that was what not to do. I will watch the other one after dinner and I am sure there will be a significant difference. Thanks for the link

fliers1

We have maybe 3-5 years to properly address the FAA problem. The only logical way to do so is to drastically increase our numbers by 2 or even 3 fold. I believe that can be done and to start the ball rolling, it would only take one or two people. As they say, the longest journey starts with the first step. I'm hoping the people in charge of Flitetest are paying attention to what I'm trying to accomplish. In fact, it would be quite easy to get it started. There are many other ways to help save our hobby, like being on-call 7 days a week to give anyone who can help flight experience.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
I watched the other vid of the Ragland Technique and It does seem easier and way more relaxed, actually yes the trainer had his hands in his pockets and the kid looked like he was about to fall asleep on the Tx, he was barely looking at the plane. To tell you the truth I don't even know if there was a plane up there lol. But I do get what you mean. I will use the latter system to teach a buddy and see what happens. Thanks for the convo and resources

Piotrsko

Master member
Freaking incredible, I grok how it works. Simple, elegant, succinct.

Sorry about your AMA experience, I have found they are like that. NIH.

fliers1

Yes indeed there was a plane up there. I guess I could think of it as a compliment that you thought there wasn't a plane in the air. Like I said, I have people look at the transmitter instead of the plane and just do exactly what I tell them to do. I found that their untrained eyes tell them one thing and I'm telling them something else, so it works out better if they have on choice but to follow the instructor's commands. Also, they get to see what their thumb is doing and how slow and easy they should move the stick.

This method does take practice, so don't expect to master it right away. You can practice using the cord like I did before I learned my method. Just reach over and practice this kinesthetic method. Too many times others said the tried my method once and found that the buddy-box works better. lol While flying your own plane or anyone's trainer, practice holding the transmitter over like the student is holding it. Your thumb and forefinger will be at a different angle, that might feel strange to begin with. This is why I want to personally train people how to do this so they can pass it on to others the same way, so on, and so on. Once again, it takes practice, practice and practice.

fliers1

Freaking incredible, I grok how it works. Simple, elegant, succinct.

Sorry about your AMA experience, I have found they are like that. NIH.
It's more than likely unfortunately the same in most clubs. Not blaming anyone, but it's the best that they can do. Beginners cannot complain to anyone, not even AMA. It's a voluntary system and there is very little incentive for instructors to spend much time teaching. Many instructors prematurely burnout. One should wonder why many clubs only offer instruction once a week and for only 5-10 minutes per lesson. Teaching is much too stressful for most. The subject of flight instruction is the third rail for most club members. I don't blame them as I said, teaching is extremely stressful and not at all fun, not even for me, but the way I do it I can spend hours teaching because it's what's needed most.

fliers1

I got a lot of time on my hands since I retired many moons ago. lol

Attachments

• Dying hobby Haiku.pdf
    119.8 KB · Views: 0