• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

XF VIPER - Foamboard F-16 EDF

Hi Ben looks great very well done

I'm cutting out the parts at the moment but I can't find the spars on your v4 plans. am I being blind?

atb
Jon
You're not blind, but they changed their look since the previous versions. They're on Sheet-4 just below the Intake Support. Evidently I failed to label them! :p

They each have a B-fold, and slot in to the same spots on the wing, and they include a central thickness to help support the wing because it's so thin.

EDIT: Kilroy beat me to it. ;)

SlingShot

Maneuvering With Purpose
After bone-heading and Murphying to death my A-4, I really owed it to Mid7night (and myself) to take another crack at wringing out one of these jets. I had thought I would build another A-4, but I am intrigued by the apparent performance boost of the F-16. Started tiling the plans for the templates :cool:

Ok, it's rough, and there aren't really any 'instructions, but here's my first build video time-lapse. F-16 goes from pieces to flight:

Also, FYI: The version I'm building from is not the latest-latest...there are a few small differences like the wing spars and a couple of the nose-folds, but overall it should give everyone a better overview of where all the parts go.

Last edited:
Very excited to build Ben’s foamboard F-16. I have built a few of the FT planes and a few more of Nerdnic’s foamboard designs. This one looks like a major step forward in complexity, namely due to no step by step assembly instructions/video. Going to test some of my intuitive assembly abilities I am afraid! lol However, at my somewhat advanced age & limited building experience I may need a little more help than others that have already tackled this project. If this is not feasible just let me know & I will not ask for so much help!!

To start I have printed out the plans, glued them to poster board and cut them out. This way It will be much easier to use the same plans to cut out a few of these planes... The second picture shows the first set of foam board cut outs. I have the front portion of the fuselage assembled/glued and will move on to the assemblies Ben shows next in his video.. Thanks for any suggestions anyone may have... More to follow. Ron

Attachments

Awesome! Note: The wing spars in the latest plans are NOT the ones I show building in my time-lapse video above. Pay attention to the fold type listed on the plans; the wing spars should go on in one channel piece for each wing.

Do several dry-fit checks before gluing down pieces, or gluing sections together; take it slow and be patient. It IS a little more involved than most FT builds, however I am confident just about anyone can have success with it, as long as they're ok with patience. ;)

Awesome! Note: The wing spars in the latest plans are NOT the ones I show building in my time-lapse video above. Pay attention to the fold type listed on the plans; the wing spars should go on in one channel piece for each wing.

Do several dry-fit checks before gluing down pieces, or gluing sections together; take it slow and be patient. It IS a little more involved than most FT builds, however I am confident just about anyone can have success with it, as long as they're ok with patience. ;)
Mid7night, I do not see any wing spars in these b4 plans? Are they defined anywhere, i.e. length and taper? Thanks, Ron

Sheet 4, the two trapezoidal pieces with a note that says "B" on them. That is supposed to indicated that you B-fold the sides, and they fit into the slots marked on the wing lower surfaces.

Sheet 4, the two trapezoidal pieces with a note that says "B" on them. That is supposed to indicated that you B-fold the sides, and they fit into the slots marked on the wing lower surfaces.
Thank you, Thank you Mid7night. Can’t tell you how many times I have watched the flight video of this F-16. Even have connected my PC to my TV to watch it. Awesome!!! Hoping to have 2 or 3 of these built and ready to fly by the time flying season (May) comes around. One will be out of the white foam board where I will put the skin by Rasterize on it after the maiden!!

Last edited:
Mid7night, in your build video you put about a 15 degree (?) downward angle on both the left & right H-Tails. Did you use this same slope on the F-16 you maidened at FF?? The reason I ask is that In the photo of you holding your F-16 @ FF, it does not appear there is any downward slope on these elevons(?).. Just curious, thanks. Ron

AkimboGlueGuns

Biplane Guy
Mentor
Mid7night, in your build video you put about a 15 degree (?) downward angle on both the left & right H-Tails. Did you use this same slope on the F-16 you maidened at FF?? The reason I ask is that In the photo of you holding your F-16 @ FF, it does not appear there is any downward slope on these elevons(?).. Just curious, thanks. Ron
There is anhedral on the horizontal stabs, yes. Probably in the neighborhood of 15-20*. I don't think there's a gauge in the plans, but it's pretty easy to eyeball.

Looking to buy some Emax ES08MD Digital metal gear servos to use on my F-16 build. These are 13 G servos. Anyone use these and would recommend? Any other suggestions?? Thanks, Ron