XF VIPER - Foamboard F-16 EDF

AkimboGlueGuns

Biplane Guy
Mentor
If you want to do a T-birds scheme easily Rasterize made an excellent skin for the viper. Awesome job on the pain through, it looks legit.

jperry

Hi Ben looks great very well done

I'm cutting out the parts at the moment but I can't find the spars on your v4 plans. am I being blind?

atb
Jon

Mid7night

Jetman
Mentor
Hi Ben looks great very well done

I'm cutting out the parts at the moment but I can't find the spars on your v4 plans. am I being blind?

atb
Jon

You're not blind, but they changed their look since the previous versions. They're on Sheet-4 just below the Intake Support. Evidently I failed to label them! :p

They each have a B-fold, and slot in to the same spots on the wing, and they include a central thickness to help support the wing because it's so thin.

EDIT: Kilroy beat me to it. ;)

SlingShot

Maneuvering With Purpose
After bone-heading and Murphying to death my A-4, I really owed it to Mid7night (and myself) to take another crack at wringing out one of these jets. I had thought I would build another A-4, but I am intrigued by the apparent performance boost of the F-16. Started tiling the plans for the templates :cool:

jaredstrees

This one is next on the list for my 70mm EDF, got to get the viggen to fall apart first. Great work, lots of nice looking planes!

Mid7night

Jetman
Mentor
Ok, it's rough, and there aren't really any 'instructions, but here's my first build video time-lapse. F-16 goes from pieces to flight:

Also, FYI: The version I'm building from is not the latest-latest...there are a few small differences like the wing spars and a couple of the nose-folds, but overall it should give everyone a better overview of where all the parts go.

Last edited:

Mid7night

Jetman
Mentor
Fun fact: You could fit a 90mm EDF in there as-is. ;)

You’ll need to make the nozzle bigger, but there’s room for a 90 already. :D

BS projects inc.

Elite member
Lol, Im considering making this with a 90mm edf and a 6s 4000mah battery, it would add an extra 200g to the overall weight so it would be more like a rocket than a jet

Papo_60

Very excited to build Ben’s foamboard F-16. I have built a few of the FT planes and a few more of Nerdnic’s foamboard designs. This one looks like a major step forward in complexity, namely due to no step by step assembly instructions/video. Going to test some of my intuitive assembly abilities I am afraid! lol However, at my somewhat advanced age & limited building experience I may need a little more help than others that have already tackled this project. If this is not feasible just let me know & I will not ask for so much help!!

To start I have printed out the plans, glued them to poster board and cut them out. This way It will be much easier to use the same plans to cut out a few of these planes... The second picture shows the first set of foam board cut outs. I have the front portion of the fuselage assembled/glued and will move on to the assemblies Ben shows next in his video.. Thanks for any suggestions anyone may have... More to follow. Ron

Attachments

• 498F3497-5B29-4C92-BCDE-BC7A2C86C747.jpeg
    498F3497-5B29-4C92-BCDE-BC7A2C86C747.jpeg
    896.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 058FABBC-812C-4D81-B03F-7CF22BB82E00.jpeg
    058FABBC-812C-4D81-B03F-7CF22BB82E00.jpeg
    823.4 KB · Views: 0

Mid7night

Jetman
Mentor
Awesome! Note: The wing spars in the latest plans are NOT the ones I show building in my time-lapse video above. Pay attention to the fold type listed on the plans; the wing spars should go on in one channel piece for each wing.

Do several dry-fit checks before gluing down pieces, or gluing sections together; take it slow and be patient. It IS a little more involved than most FT builds, however I am confident just about anyone can have success with it, as long as they're ok with patience. ;)

Papo_60

Awesome! Note: The wing spars in the latest plans are NOT the ones I show building in my time-lapse video above. Pay attention to the fold type listed on the plans; the wing spars should go on in one channel piece for each wing.

Do several dry-fit checks before gluing down pieces, or gluing sections together; take it slow and be patient. It IS a little more involved than most FT builds, however I am confident just about anyone can have success with it, as long as they're ok with patience. ;)

Mid7night, I do not see any wing spars in these b4 plans? Are they defined anywhere, i.e. length and taper? Thanks, Ron

Mid7night

Jetman
Mentor
Sheet 4, the two trapezoidal pieces with a note that says "B" on them. That is supposed to indicated that you B-fold the sides, and they fit into the slots marked on the wing lower surfaces.

Papo_60

Sheet 4, the two trapezoidal pieces with a note that says "B" on them. That is supposed to indicated that you B-fold the sides, and they fit into the slots marked on the wing lower surfaces.

Thank you, Thank you Mid7night. Can’t tell you how many times I have watched the flight video of this F-16. Even have connected my PC to my TV to watch it. Awesome!!! Hoping to have 2 or 3 of these built and ready to fly by the time flying season (May) comes around. One will be out of the white foam board where I will put the skin by Rasterize on it after the maiden!!

Last edited:

Papo_60

Mid7night, in your build video you put about a 15 degree (?) downward angle on both the left & right H-Tails. Did you use this same slope on the F-16 you maidened at FF?? The reason I ask is that In the photo of you holding your F-16 @ FF, it does not appear there is any downward slope on these elevons(?).. Just curious, thanks. Ron

AkimboGlueGuns

Biplane Guy
Mentor
Mid7night, in your build video you put about a 15 degree (?) downward angle on both the left & right H-Tails. Did you use this same slope on the F-16 you maidened at FF?? The reason I ask is that In the photo of you holding your F-16 @ FF, it does not appear there is any downward slope on these elevons(?).. Just curious, thanks. Ron

There is anhedral on the horizontal stabs, yes. Probably in the neighborhood of 15-20*. I don't think there's a gauge in the plans, but it's pretty easy to eyeball.

Papo_60

Looking to buy some Emax ES08MD Digital metal gear servos to use on my F-16 build. These are 13 G servos. Anyone use these and would recommend? Any other suggestions?? Thanks, Ron