XF VIPER - Foamboard F-16 EDF

zjr928

16.png

Mid7night

Jetman
Mentor
Have my maiden flight today. Flew good. Just under power. Using BDF 2207 1800kv 4052 on 6s. Whole flight was on full throttle.

Maiden flight

Landing.

That's awesome!! FYI: You might get more power by adding some aux-inlets ("cheater holes")towards the back, right in front of the BDF. When John Overstreet started testing my BDF, he had similar struggles and benefited from aux-inlets.

speedy7385

That's awesome!! FYI: You might get more power by adding some aux-inlets ("cheater holes")towards the back, right in front of the BDF. When John Overstreet started testing my BDF, he had similar struggles and benefited from aux-inlets.
Thanks for the info, definitely will try that out.

jpot1

Elite member
@Mid7night - I downloaded v8 plans and was comparing some parts to your build video back on this thread. It appears the intake former has either changed or I think some lines were not connected correctly in the new PDFs. I had built this previously so I had the older version plans shown on top and the new on the bottom. I'm thinking the top is still correct???

Thanks again for all your great work!

intake_prob.jpg

Mid7night

Jetman
Mentor
@Mid7night - I downloaded v8 plans and was comparing some parts to your build video back on this thread. It appears the intake former has either changed or I think some lines were not connected correctly in the new PDFs. I had built this previously so I had the older version plans shown on top and the new on the bottom. I'm thinking the top is still correct???

Thanks again for all your great work!

View attachment 183571

The bottom one is the correct latest piece. When you form the lower intake piece, you fold the sides around to form the mouth, instead of bringing them 'down' onto the Intake Support piece, you slide them into that slot. The nice thing about the new version is that you can do each side individually easier.

The main reason for the change is to provide more support for the battery-surface above.

Hope that makes sense!

speedy7385

The intake is not big enough for the BDF, restricted thrust output. Thanks for Ben Harber's input. Added all those vent opennings, gained extra 300g of thrust. Now auw at 1080g, thrust about 1000g. With 6s - 2x 3s li-ion in series. Added ailerons also.

Attachments

• 20201118_084143.jpg
    20201118_084143.jpg
    702.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 20201118_084129.jpg
    20201118_084129.jpg
    730.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 20201118_084216.jpg
    20201118_084216.jpg
    6.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20201117_164407.jpg
    20201117_164407.jpg
    6.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 20201117_140628.jpg
    20201117_140628.jpg
    6.1 MB · Views: 0

Mid7night

Jetman
Mentor
The intake is not big enough for the BDF, restricted thrust output. Thanks for Ben Harber's input. Added all those vent opennings, gained extra 300g of thrust. Now auw at 1080g, thrust about 1000g. With 6s - 2x 3s li-ion in series. Added ailerons also.

That looks great!!

Edgar88130

I'm new to this and my first time. How do you make the diagram bigger? Each piece to actual size. I want to print them on my printer but I don't know how to make them bigger and to the right size

nevenelestate

No Agenda FPV
I worked on F-16's in the USAF from 2002-2007, so they have a special place in my heart, and this project has been on my radar for years. Finally decided I'm going to build one! I don't want to go buy a 70mm EDF though so I am designing a BDF style duct to use. I have already made BDF style duct/mounts for my FTA-10 and it flew well, currently having FC issues but that's another thread, so this is not my first time with this style of motor setup.

I am planning to try using an 1806 2400kv motor with a trimmed down 3" prop. I haven't gotten it all sorted out just yet to test the thrust, but hoping that I can get it to work with a 4S battery setup.

Here's my first printed prototype, I've expanded the inner wall gap by the motor for more cooling and added a few other holes under the motor to get more cooling. Once I get this "perfected" I'll share the STLs on thingiverse and on here.
PXL_20210106_132610828_2.jpg

Matthew Sanders

Elite member
I worked on F-16's in the USAF from 2002-2007, so they have a special place in my heart, and this project has been on my radar for years. Finally decided I'm going to build one! I don't want to go buy a 70mm EDF though so I am designing a BDF style duct to use. I have already made BDF style duct/mounts for my FTA-10 and it flew well, currently having FC issues but that's another thread, so this is not my first time with this style of motor setup.

I am planning to try using an 1806 2400kv motor with a trimmed down 3" prop. I haven't gotten it all sorted out just yet to test the thrust, but hoping that I can get it to work with a 4S battery setup.

Here's my first printed prototype, I've expanded the inner wall gap by the motor for more cooling and added a few other holes under the motor to get more cooling. Once I get this "perfected" I'll share the STLs on thingiverse and on here.
View attachment 188144
Looks great! Can’t wait to see you fly it! I know its a little early to be asking, but do you have a paint scheme for yours in mind?