XF VIPER - Foamboard F-16 EDF

cjspecial

Calling it a day on building... I'm not a big fan of tape for securing hatches, so I used popsicle sticks instead....

Attachments

• IMG_20180729_165017012.jpg
    IMG_20180729_165017012.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20180729_164952682.jpg
    IMG_20180729_164952682.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20180729_164946987.jpg
    IMG_20180729_164946987.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 0

Mid7night

Jetman
Mentor
That's a neat idea CJ ... but you may find that popsicle stick keeper could interfere with the battery placement. I was thinking of doing something similar, but putting the latch almost flush at the back of the canopy,

I'm also not convinced I like the way I have the canopy-plate (hatch) separate from that part of the forward/upper fuselage. It makes forming that part of the body a bit more difficult, and cutting the hatch out afterwards makes for SUCH a better closer and fit. Gonna have to think on that one some more.

Meanwhile, I didn't get to posting pics last night; sorry. I'll do my best to get those up today for you all.

P.S. @cjspecial: It's looking awesome!!

cjspecial

That's a neat idea CJ ... but you may find that popsicle stick keeper could interfere with the battery placement. I was thinking of doing something similar, but putting the latch almost flush at the back of the canopy,

I'm also not convinced I like the way I have the canopy-plate (hatch) separate from that part of the forward/upper fuselage. It makes forming that part of the body a bit more difficult, and cutting the hatch out afterwards makes for SUCH a better closer and fit. Gonna have to think on that one some more.

Meanwhile, I didn't get to posting pics last night; sorry. I'll do my best to get those up today for you all.

P.S. @cjspecial: It's looking awesome!!

@Mid7night No worries on posting the pics, life happens and this is a hobby, not a job, LOL. I agree on the popsicle stick possibly causing battery placement issues too, but I figured I would experiment anyway. I ended up cutting out a larger opening for the canopy access because I have big hands and I hope it makes accessing the components a bit easier without sacrificing strength. I'm planning on building a second or possibly a third one once I dial in the build process and component layout etc. I don't mind building multiple planes... I think I enjoy the building almost more than the flying! And thank you for the compliment! It's definitely been the most challenging build with DTFB yet for me and I'm enjoying the new skills that it's teaching, and it's my first EDF.

Mid7night

Jetman
Mentor
Here are my build pics in progress so far. I'll add build comments as I can go back and edit, but for now you at least get the pictures for reference.

One improvement I want to add are better fuselage-alignment features for the body pieces. It's difficult to keep everything straight with just your eye to go on.

Horizontal tail, elevator and rear strakes:
Double-bevel the leading edge of the horizontal, fold over flat. Single bevel the elevator hinge.
Glue strake-doubler on the bottom (not pictured yet). Crease/bend horizontal tail down relative to strake (not yet pictured)
IMG_7644.JPG
Nose:
IMG_7680.JPG IMG_7683.JPG IMG_7684.JPG
Center/Lower fuselage and intake:
IMG_7645.JPG IMG_7646.JPG IMG_7647.JPG IMG_7648.JPG IMG_7649.JPG IMG_7650.JPG IMG_7651.JPG
Upper/Aft fuselage and EDF mount:
IMG_7658.JPG IMG_7652.JPG IMG_7654.JPG IMG_7657.JPG IMG_7659.JPG IMG_7655.JPG IMG_7660.JPG IMG_7662.JPG IMG_7661.JPG IMG_7663.JPG
Lower/Aft fuselage and tail cones:
IMG_7664.JPG IMG_7666.JPG IMG_7667.JPG IMG_7668.JPG IMG_7669.JPG IMG_7671.JPG IMG_7672.JPG
Wing:
The bamboo skewers are optional - I added them simply because it's a rather thin wing, and I tend to pull hard on the airplane.
ALSO: I show the wings folding over separately, then joining. It is better (if you have the space) to join the wing halves at the lower surface first, gluing down any spars and stiffeners, THEN fold them over.
IMG_7675.JPG IMG_7676.JPG IMG_7677.JPG IMG_7706.JPG IMG_7708.JPG
ALSO NOTE: In the wing-folding pictures, you will see that I removed some paper, this is NOT NECESSARY. Your wing will be stronger (and not much heavier) if you LEAVE the paper and do a fold-over wing like normal. I just like the way the wing surface is a bit smoother when you remove some of the paper.
If you removed the paper as shown, DO NOT score the wing-folds in the upper surface. Still do the leading-edge double bevel, but don't do the score-cuts over the wing spars. The wing will curl over just fine.

Upper/Forward fuselage and nose assembly:
IMG_7678.JPG IMG_7685.JPG IMG_7686.JPG IMG_7687.JPG IMG_7693.JPG IMG_7691.JPG IMG_7688.JPG IMG_7694.JPG IMG_7695.JPG
Inlet diverter and forward fuselage assembly:
IMG_7696.JPG IMG_7697.JPG IMG_7699.JPG IMG_7701.JPG IMG_7698.JPG IMG_7700.JPG IMG_7689.JPG IMG_7690.JPG
Fuselage join:
IMG_7702.JPG IMG_7703.JPG IMG_7704.JPG
ESC placement:
IMG_7709.JPG
Upper fuselage cover:
IMG_7710.JPG IMG_7711.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_7665.JPG
    IMG_7665.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7679.JPG
    IMG_7679.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:

cjspecial

@Mid7night Thank you for posting the pics! Those pics make all the difference and everyone should be able to have a successful build following them. I now see quite a few areas that I made mistakes on and will definitely be building a second one!

Mid7night

Jetman
Mentor
Is there a reason you fold the wings before you connect them?

LOL .... NOPE! In fact, I'm quite embarrassed to admit that I didn't think of it myself. AND it would be easier to put in a spar member that spans the wing centerline by joining the wing halves BEFORE folding them over.

Truthfully, I think I've gotten into the habit of folding over the wings separately, THEN joining, simply because my build space is so limited. It's easier to manage half a wing and fold it over, than the whole wing.

@Mid7night Thank you for posting the pics! Those pics make all the difference and everyone should be able to have a successful build following them. I now see quite a few areas that I made mistakes on and will definitely be building a second one!

You're welcome, and thank you for the compliment! Please take note of MY OWN mistake on the wing-build-process: Join the wing halves BEFORE folding them over! :p

cjspecial

I must have been really tired when I was building last night. I completely missed the fact that I installed the rear section of the fuselage upside down! LOL Being that I made a few mistakes, with my new found knowledge I'm going to build another one 😁.

Attachments

• IMG_20180730_155701714.jpg
    IMG_20180730_155701714.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20180730_155650258.jpg
    IMG_20180730_155650258.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 0

Mid7night

Jetman
Mentor
Viper complete! Here are the rest of my build pics.

Horizontal tails and elevator (elevons).
The tails should have 10-15° of ANHEDRAL (angled down) relative to the side strakes and wing. Currently there isn't an angle-gauge, sorry, still need to add some little things. ;)
Servos are glued on under the side strakes with short pushrods straight to the elevon surfaces.
The control surfaces are meant to be programmed as elevons, since there are no separate ailerons.
IMG_7712.JPG IMG_7714.JPG IMG_7713.JPG IMG_7715.JPG IMG_7721.JPG IMG_7722.JPG

Control surface throws should be +/-20° to start, and I like at least 40% expo. You can push the throws up to as high as 30° or even 40° depending on how responsive you want the bird to be, and how confident you are on the sticks. :D
When balanced near the aft-CG mark, and flown with more aggressive throws, it will happily pull full-throttle Cobra maneuvers without breaking a sweat (or a wing).

Sorry, I forgot to take pics of the vertical tail and tail-base going together. The tail base glues on and wraps around the vertical tail, with a double-bevel in its leading edge.

Pics of the servo wires coming over the wing to the nose, the upper fuselage cover, vertical tail and ventral fins:
IMG_7723.JPG IMG_7726.JPG IMG_7727.JPG IMG_7728.JPG IMG_7725.JPG

You'll want to feed the servo extension wires through the forward horizontal mount hole, connect the servo, and mount the horizontal tails making sure the side strakes are level and parallel to the ground.
After mounting the horizontals you can glue down the wing. It should slide all the way forward in the saddle, and the trailing edge should sit down flush with the bottom of the side strake.

Lastly glue on the ventral fins, and the vertical.

Done!
IMG_7733.JPG IMG_7732.JPG IMG_7731.JPG

Chuppster

ALSO: I show the wings folding over separately, then joining. It is better (if you have the space) to join the wing halves at the lower surface first, gluing down any spars and stiffeners, THEN fold them over.

On the photo with the two wing halves and triangle, is the triangle part of the wings? Or are they just like your A-4?

Mid7night

Jetman
Mentor
On the photo with the two wing halves and triangle, is the triangle part of the wings? Or are they just like your A-4?

The triangle piece, while not part of the plans, IS a piece I inserted as a joiner-helper, mostly to keep the skin between the spars from sagging when pressed on.

ALSO NOTE: In the wing-folding pictures, you will see that I removed some paper, this is NOT NECESSARY. Your wing will be stronger (and not much heavier) if you LEAVE the paper and do a fold-over wing like normal. I just like the way the wing surface is a bit smoother when you remove some of the paper.

If you removed the paper as shown, DO NOT score the wing-folds in the upper surface. Still do the leading-edge double bevel, but don't do the score-cuts over the wing spars. The wing will curl over just fine.

cjspecial

@Mid7night I'm having a bit of a challenge on the placement of the forms. Specifically the under canopy form. Should I make two forms and place one towards the nose and the other towards the rear portion?

Mid7night

Jetman
Mentor
The one with a flat top should be used to form the shape of the front of the “Under Canopy” piece. The one with a peaked-top should be used to form the shape of the back of the Nose Piece.

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
thanks for posting the pics of the build. with all i have had going on, it's hard to remember all details. this is still on the short list but the Red Bull Challenge has been killin' me. a whole new respect for you guys and the effort and time it take to produce a model. the amount of info i have learned over the last 2 months has been unspeakable.

laters,

me :cool:

william steendam

any idea how well this would fly if I reduced the plans to % 71 and put a 50 mm 12 blade edf on her ? its what I have lying round at the moment, also would this affect cg ? cheers