Yak-55 3D Dollar Tree foam board build

TooJung2Die

Master member
The winter weather hasn't allowed any outdoor flying and we haven't had an indoor flying session in over two weeks because of the holidays. With nothing to do but work on projects I added a couple of things to the OHW. It now has side force generators on the wing tips. Wish I had more time to get used to flying it without them but they're supposed to help. I may have to add CF to stiffen them. We'll see...

IMG_1699.JPG

In case you didn't notice it in the above photo it now has landing gear. I always wondered why F3P airplanes have these ridiculously small wheels so I looked it up. I didn't find very much but there is one person on RCGroups that made a few videos showing how he makes F3P landing gear. It's all about keeping the weight as light as possible. Some 3D airplanes don't use wheels at all and only have little skids to take off and land with because wheels can be heavy. If you only take off and land on shiny gym floors then that's all you really need. I made the wheels from foam, tubing and gift card. The struts are 1.5mm CF rod.

IMG_1698.JPG

The landing gear and SFG's added a whole 8 grams so the weight is now 155 grams, still under 5 1/2 ounces. That shouldn't be very noticeable.

Last edited:

TooJung2Die

Master member
hey, so whats the final specs? (ESC, Motor, Servos, and battery) im just a little confused
and what if i just did one layer of DTFB, would that work to keep the weight down?
I retired the DTFB Yak. It had a 2208 - 1400kv motor on it with a 8060 prop driven by 25A ESC. See Post #12. It was a brick as far as 3D goes but at least it could be flown when there was a breeze blowing. The "One Hit" is still flying and flies great. It's under 6 oz. without a battery and only needs a 350mAh 2s to pull vertical. It has more CF bracing on it now.
I would definitely stick to one layer DTFB from now on. I'd remove the paper from both sides and add CF stiffening as required. It won't have any crash resistance but it'll fly 3D.

Last edited:

dhanjiev_7

Wow! thank you so much, well i know what my next projects going to be :)
And what Prop/Motor/Esc/Servo combo would you reccomend for a single layer DTFB, i want to be able to fly it as a full 3D

TooJung2Die

Master member
Wow! thank you so much, well i know what my next projects going to be :)
And what Prop/Motor/Esc/Servo combo would you reccomend for a single layer DTFB, i want to be able to fly it as a full 3D
You need a high torque, low kv motor like the 24gr blue wonder, 1300kv version, with a 10A ESC. A 8043 prop should work with 2s batteries. Usually a 9gram servo is used for the ailerons and 5gram for the rudder and elevator on the Yak.

If you're really interested in the Yak you should check out Leadfeather's build thread. It's been going for 12 years and has over 12,000 posts. Everything you ever wanted to know about making a 3D Yak is in there. There are links to buy pre-cut and painted kits made from EPP foam for better crash resistance. You crash a lot learning to fly 3D.

Leadfeathers Yak-55

Last edited:

dhanjiev_7

i am so sorry to bother you again but i wanted to ask, I decided to build the Yak-55 22" version. Would the Blue Wonder be good for that or would it be too powerful?

TooJung2Die

Master member
i am so sorry to bother you again but i wanted to ask, I decided to build the Yak-55 22" version. Would the Blue Wonder be good for that or would it be too powerful?
It's probably too much motor. I never built a 22" Yak so I looked in the RCGroups thread I linked in post #47. The recommended motor from one of the 22" kit manufacturers is a "C1822 micro brushless outrunner 2100kv (14g)" with a 6030 prop on a 2s battery. That's 10g less weight than the blue wonder. If you can't find that exact motor look for something with similar specs. You'll want to use smaller servos too.

aeromojito

Nice builds here. I believe the original inspiration for the Yak-55 was the Hobby-Lobby Yak-55. They were made from 6mm depron. When the kits became unavailable, people started building their own. I used single layer DTFB and covered it in packing tape. The original kit called for a heavier motor, battery, and servos. Mine weighed around 12 ounces. With 26 ounces of thrust, it flew great on windy days. It wasn't slow but still very neutral and responsive. So don't be afraid of a little extra weight and try skinning it with tape or other covering.

Freeway

First a little back story. I thought flying a 3D airplane was way beyond my abilities. I'm a slow-fly and glider type of pilot. A couple of weeks ago one of the guys at the RC field has a EPP foamy profile 3D Extra. He's no 3D pilot either. He tells me I have to fly his new airplane. I think he's out of his mind. I'll destroy it. So I fly it anyway. :) I was amazed at how easy it was to fly. So slow and floaty. It wasn't twitchy at all. It felt slow and smooth. I was doing my short repertoire of stunts with ease. A tight loop looks like a backflip. It rolls like a drill. Flying two mistakes high is only 30 feet up. I gotta have one! :D

I searched for plans and find one of the most popular and most copied 3D out there is Leadfeather's Yak-55. Plans galore. 32" wingspan; downloaded it. For the first time ever I make templates from the plans. I know for sure I will be making more than one. The retail foamy I flew was made from 9mm EPP foam. I don't have any EPP but I have lots of Adams foam board from Dollar Tree. When you peel off the paper and glue two sheets together you have 10mm sheet foam. Close enough.

Here's the first shot at making a 3D airplane.

View attachment 144775

Two sheets of DTFB, no paper, glued together with spray adhesive.

View attachment 144722

Templates arranged on one sheet of foam. The other half of the wing goes on a second sheet.

View attachment 144723

These are all the parts cut out. I don't think I've made an airplane with this few number of pieces. If you had a big enough sheet of foam it could be even less parts by combining the horizontal parts before cutting it out.

View attachment 144724

It's late so I'll continue the build thread later. Stay tuned...
<edit> Plans and build instructions attached.
Jon
Can I get these plans tiled for standard printing paper?