Yak-55 3D Dollar Tree foam board build

Musdang

Not Quite Legendary
Anyone think a f pack motor with a 2s 800 would work on this design made of papaerless dtfb?

Musdang

Not Quite Legendary
Can’t wait to see it @Incader! I’ve been meaning to build one, just haven’t got to it yet. Although, I did build this piece of junk.

E47CA023-82E9-4AF6-B726-FC85C279F8A9.jpeg
I present to you, the holy grail of crap.

logic2799

First a little back story. I thought flying a 3D airplane was way beyond my abilities. I'm a slow-fly and glider type of pilot. A couple of weeks ago one of the guys at the RC field has a EPP foamy profile 3D Extra. He's no 3D pilot either. He tells me I have to fly his new airplane. I think he's out of his mind. I'll destroy it. So I fly it anyway. :) I was amazed at how easy it was to fly. So slow and floaty. It wasn't twitchy at all. It felt slow and smooth. I was doing my short repertoire of stunts with ease. A tight loop looks like a backflip. It rolls like a drill. Flying two mistakes high is only 30 feet up. I gotta have one! :D

I searched for plans and find one of the most popular and most copied 3D out there is Leadfeather's Yak-55. Plans galore. 32" wingspan; downloaded it. For the first time ever I make templates from the plans. I know for sure I will be making more than one. The retail foamy I flew was made from 9mm EPP foam. I don't have any EPP but I have lots of Adams foam board from Dollar Tree. When you peel off the paper and glue two sheets together you have 10mm sheet foam. Close enough.

Here's the first shot at making a 3D airplane.

View attachment 144775

Two sheets of DTFB, no paper, glued together with spray adhesive.

View attachment 144722

Templates arranged on one sheet of foam. The other half of the wing goes on a second sheet.

View attachment 144723

These are all the parts cut out. I don't think I've made an airplane with this few number of pieces. If you had a big enough sheet of foam it could be even less parts by combining the horizontal parts before cutting it out.

View attachment 144724

It's late so I'll continue the build thread later. Stay tuned...
<edit> Plans and build instructions attached.
Jon
hi i realy like this but how do you print it so thares maltiple pages it shrinks down so its tiny

Flyingshark

Master member
hi i realy like this but how do you print it so thares maltiple pages it shrinks down so its tiny
I suspect what you're looking for is "poster" mode, like in Adobe Acrobat? It allows you to split up the large pages of a set of plans into smaller "tiles" to print them on many sheets of A4 or 8.5x11. FliteTest tends to make a pre-tiled version of their plans, but not everyone else does. In that case, you'd have to use poster mode to tile things yourself.

@Grifflyer has this great explanation in his plans index:
All my plans are done in full size sheets, you can still print them with a regular household printer if you use Adobe Reader. All you have to do is open up the plans in Adobe Reader and select print. After the print window opens up there should be a section in the middle of the window labeled "Page Sizing & Handling" right below that there should be options to choose between "Size" "Poster" "Multiple" and "Booklet" You are going to want to select the "Poster" option. Next, ensure your tile scale is set to 100%, your overlap is set at 0.005 in. and that you have the "Tile only large pages" option selected. You can also select "Cut marks" which will make taping the sheets of paper together easier, but it will increase your page count from 8 to 12. Lastly, go down to the bottom of the print window and click print.
Note: If you do not have the poster option on your laptop you may need to upgrade to the latest version of Adobe Reader. It may even be old enough that looking in the program options for updates does not work. You will have to go to Adobe website to get new version

TooJung2Die

Master member
I suspect what you're looking for is "poster" mode, like in Adobe Acrobat? It allows you to split up the large pages of a set of plans into smaller "tiles" to print them on many sheets of A4 or 8.5x11. FliteTest tends to make a pre-tiled version of their plans, but not everyone else does. In that case, you'd have to use poster mode to tile things yourself.

Exactly! What he said.
I suppose people have gotten so used to opening PDF files in their browser or other applications that Adobe Acrobat has been forgotten. Besides printing large images like plans in Poster you can resize the plans to make the airplane larger or smaller than the original. Simply change the print scale in Poster from 100% to whatever size you want like 75% or 150%.

cjhagemeyer

I'm building a scaled up yak 55 from those plans, im using an ft 2218 motor and 40amp esc, and 3s 2200mah. im wanting to know the weight i should try to be at for a 40in wingspan to get it to fly like a true flat foamy. this is the second one im building and the first was a little big (48.5in wingspan) and a little heavy (about 770g) and a little floppy. so im working on a second one right now, both are out of dtfb with the paper removed

TooJung2Die

Master member
im wanting to know the weight i should try to be at for a 40in wingspan to get it to fly like a true flat foamy.
A 3s 2200mAh battery is on the heavy side for this kind of airplane. I'd use a smaller, lighter battery and accept the shorter flight times for the weight saved.

cjhagemeyer

That’s also part of why this build is challenging (and fun) I’m trying to build a flat foamy out of dtfb that flies like a real one out of the electronics that I already have