2021 mini scout challenge!

mastermalpass

Elite member
That's enough cutting for today:

20210111_232507.jpg

Just gotta finish cutting and beveling holes in the wings then hollow out the inner-pieces of the exhaust stacks and it'll be time to start assembly.

Hopefully that won't be too delayed. I wanna do a review of the WLToys Cessna before I dissect it. Wind isn't forecast to drop to a flyable level for a 1S until Friday, so the Scout will be waiting until at least the weekend to get its parts, then it's a matter of waiting for a good flying day after that. I'm sure I'll get at least one before the end of the month. :)

Last edited:

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member

View attachment 188904

Just gotta finish cutting and beveling holes in the wings then hollow out the inner-pieces of the exhaust stacks and it'll be time to start assembly.

Hopefully that won't be too delayed. I wanna do a review of the WLToys Cessna before I disect it. Wind isn't forecast to drop to a flyable level for a 1S until Friday, so the Scout will be waiting until at least the weekend to get its parts, then it's a matter of waiting for a goid flying day after that. I'm sure I'll get at least one before the end of the month. :)
why did you cut holes in the wing panel... surely that would compromise your lift

Phin G

Elite member

View attachment 188904

Hopefully that won't be too delayed. I wanna do a review of the WLToys Cessna before I disect it. Wind isn't forecast to drop to a flyable level for a 1S until Friday, so the Scout will be waiting until at least the weekend to get its parts, then it's a matter of waiting for a goid flying day after that. I'm sure I'll get at least one before the end of the month. :)
I have one of those planes. Btw they are so durable i have flone them into football posts nose dives into ground and yeh.the motor will come lose after 2 hits head on and will adjust the thrust angle a bit. The wheels depending on if you get a good one or a bad one will be able to take off on tarmac but not on grass. I currently am useing the eletronics For a ground effect vehicle. The throw of the servos is small so you might want to move them in. Good luck

Edit: the plane was a f949 or have i just done a review here eh free review who cares

mastermalpass

Elite member
why did you cut holes in the wing panel... surely that would compromise your lift

They will be covered on their under-sides and I'm hoping the weird geometry on top isn't going to upset the airflow too much. If I have to use tape on both sides, it will cancel out the weight saving I made. lol

With the wings though, I'm hoping cling film can be used. The lack of an adhesive on a material that is more flimsy than tape is anyway I'm hoping will grant me a good weight save.

mastermalpass

Elite member
I have one of those planes. Btw they are so durable i have flone them into football posts nose dives into ground and yeh.the motor will come lose after 2 hits head on and will adjust the thrust angle a bit. The wheels depending on if you get a good one or a bad one will be able to take off on tarmac but not on grass. I currently am useing the eletronics For a ground effect vehicle. The throw of the servos is small so you might want to move them in. Good luck

Edit: the plane was a f949 or have i just done a review here eh free review who cares

The little Cessna is here! :D

1610449243305.png

Good news is, the control board looks to be held in place with a couple beads of hot glue, so if I set my soldering iron to a low temp, I should be able to loosen the glue and pull it out with tweezers (after unscrewing the servo arms of course - I will leave those arms in there, I have slightly longer ones that will fit these servos that I want to use):

1610449359001.png

Bad news is the motor isn't quite so easily accessible, so I will be having to do some surgery on it. But, there's lots of space inside the plane making me think it should be too hard to cut a bonnet into the plane that I can almost seamlessly tape shut.

Where's your review to, @Phin G ? If I'm gonna do my own, I figure I should share the love and give it a like. :)

Phin G

Elite member
The little Cessna is here! :D

View attachment 188964

Good news is, the control board looks to be held in place with a couple beads of hot glue, so if I set my soldering iron to a low temp, I should be able to loosen the glue and pull it out with tweezers (after unscrewing the servo arms of course - I will leave those arms in there, I have slightly longer ones that will fit these servos that I want to use):

View attachment 188965

Bad news is the motor isn't quite so easily accessible, so I will be having to do some surgery on it. But, there's lots of space inside the plane making me think it should be too hard to cut a bonnet into the plane that I can almost seamlessly tape shut.

Where's your review to, @Phin G ? If I'm gonna do my own, I figure I should share the love and give it a like. :)
Hi I haven't made a review of it yet i used the eletronics for a project wich crashed so it is in multiple pieces. I am rebuilding it as the project crasht in maiden since it was tail heavy the motor is plugged into the flight board so i just unpluged it and teared it out

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0

mastermalpass

Elite member
So... Instructions on how to change the propeller were unclear, I pulled it out with the main gear as well! I couldn't just slide it back onto the pin as the pin was free to recess back into the plane. So I've ended up cutting a bonnet anyway. Good news is it's easy to cut a seamless bonet into it and hold it closed with tape again. Now I wait until Friday to fly it. :)

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
@The Hangar , tail skid: required is no?
Getting down to the end of my build and realized I didn’t include a way to attach it, although I can get it on there if necessary.

I also realized we should do this every month or couple of months with a new plane each time, I think we would find some new cool ways to make things much lighter.
Nope, the tail skid isn’t necessary. I was actually thinking the same thing, except I was planning on starting it at the big inning of next year. Maybe we should do it twice or three times a year?

mastermalpass

Elite member
i can build at that rate but i wouldn't have enough electronics to go in them i only have the one in my half pipe delta right now.
but i accept the challenge

Considering all the planes I've seen you want to build so far, one build a month sounds like the minimum rate to keep you satisfied haha!

I suppose where electronics come up short, there is the option of Aerotowing. :p