2021 mini scout challenge!

Ketchup

4s mini mustang
Airframe complete minus exhaust stacks, weighs in at one ounce on the dot (28 grams). Exhaust stacks are ready for application.
View attachment 189190
However, I am not happy with how the tail came out. As you can see it’s a little of due to the fuselage being built crooked, but oh well.
View attachment 189191
Dang dude! That thing is light! What do you think the weight will be once you add electronics though?

Paracodespoder

Elite member
Servos+receiver is 15 grams
Battery is 45 grams
If I can get it to fly well on my 1106 ( probably won’t fly great, underpowered), then that is 24 grams
F-pack (2205+25 amp esc) is 61 grams.
I really hope that the 1106 has enough oomph, although I tried it once before with the same plane but heavier and it almost worked on 3s. all up weight with 1106 will theoretically be a little over 112 grams (right at 4 ounces)
F-pack at 149 grams (5.3 ounces)
So pretty heavy.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
While we're debating on who can build the most planes, I don't think they should count unless you actually finish them! If I could count every plane I half built, (or keep telling myself I'll finish EVENTUALLY) then I'd have built nearly 30 planes in 2020!

That being said, although I haven't even started I keep thinking about this challenge.. enough that I picked up a toy helicopter at the store the other day to cannibalize the motor and gearbox it uses to use in a mini scout. I also got some real thin slats of balsa.

I have 2 conclusions. I will either build an incredibly light scout that works better than expected...
OR more likely something that looks like a scout, but the second it leaves my hand to maiden it, turns into a small pile of firewood and kapton film.

In the spirit of trying to make it as light as possible I think I'm going with 2 channel. rudder/throttle. got to give it more throttle to achieve lift. Arguably it's still a functional scout, and still flies that way no? Or would you argue it needs to be 3 channel to be a true mini-scout.
2ch is fine!

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Servos+receiver is 15 grams
Battery is 45 grams
If I can get it to fly well on my 1106 ( probably won’t fly great, underpowered), then that is 24 grams
F-pack (2205+25 amp esc) is 61 grams.
I really hope that the 1106 has enough oomph, although I tried it once before with the same plane but heavier and it almost worked on 3s. all up weight with 1106 will theoretically be a little over 112 grams (right at 4 ounces)
F-pack at 149 grams (5.3 ounces)
So pretty heavy.
112g AUW isn't bad at all!

Stress Test

I think I have 2 5 gram servos left over from another Scout build and I just ordered the motor and esc from FT.

motor.png

Motor is 11 grams, not sure about the esc.

I pulled the patterns out and I think I will start in the morning. I have a 4 day weekend because of schedule changes. I was going to work outside, but is going to snow, so that's a good excuse to start this build! :D

I'm stuck with a Spektrum AR410 as i can't afford a lighter rx right now.

I have scale and I'll weight my current Scout, then I want to cut that weight by 33%. I have some ideas to achieve that. The smaller motor will help.

I doubt I will be the lightest, but I'ma gonna have fun! :D

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
I think I have 2 5 gram servos left over from another Scout build and I just ordered the motor and esc from FT.

View attachment 189217

Motor is 11 grams, not sure about the esc.

I pulled the patterns out and I think I will start in the morning. I have a 4 day weekend because of schedule changes. I was going to work outside, but is going to snow, so that's a good excuse to start this build! :D

I'm stuck with a Spektrum AR410 as i can't afford a lighter rx right now.

I have scale and I'll weight my current Scout, then I want to cut that weight by 33%. I have some ideas to achieve that. The smaller motor will help.

I doubt I will be the lightest, but I'ma gonna have fun! :D
Awesome! Taking the outer plastic cover on the AR410 makes them super light.

Stress Test

4 channel is going to be heavier but I respect his decision to go for it.

I wont be the lightest but I'll see how I stack up with my design. I had thought about a lighter build anyway to try flying lower and slower.

If we all built these identical it would be so boring!

Stress Test

I pulled my "pattern envelope" out and I have part of a Scout drawn / traced / started, Christmas Part 2!

20210115_052913.jpg

So to decide where I'm going, I weighed my current Scout.

Specs:
W/O Battery, made with hot glue and packing tape, sporting a FT 2205 2300kv motor and an AR410 rx, no paint --149g

20210115_052726.jpg

20210115_052742.jpg

Its not too badly wrinkled from landing. It is missing the engine cylinders and exhaust pipes which I will put on my build.

And I did have 2 unused FT 5 gram servos, these were backups for the other Scout, but to misquote some movie

"The first rule of Flite Tests Challenge builds, is why have one when you can have two for not twice the price..." :D

The original quote was about government spending "2 for twice the price", I digress.

20210115_054846.jpg

So I am aiming for 100g or less with a smaller motor.

T-minus 15 days...