32" Pietenpol Air Camper restoration

TooJung2Die

Master member
I turned some balsa wheels for the Pietenpol in the drill press. Most Piet's have either wire wheels or solid like these.

IMG_2260crop.jpg IMG_2261crop.jpg IMG_2262crop.jpg

Then glue o-rings to the wheels for tires.

IMG_2263crop.jpg

Jon

TooJung2Die

Master member
Now that the Pietenpol has had a few flights the bugs are getting worked out. I removed the added ballast, the CG was right where is was supposed to be the first time. When the propeller is pushing air over the tail very little control input is needed. When gliding it needs big throws to have good control. Big throws and a lot of expo so the sticks are soft in the center but full rudder is available when gliding is how I like it. It doesn't need any more dihedral. It banks with the rudder like it has ailerons. Last night I used the heat gun to add a bit more wash-out to the wing tips. We'll see if that helps or hurts today. It had some nice flights yesterday. It looks cool in the air with the sun shining through the covering.

slowjo

Master member
Now that the Pietenpol has had a few flights the bugs are getting worked out. I removed the added ballast, the CG was right where is was supposed to be the first time. When the propeller is pushing air over the tail very little control input is needed. When gliding it needs big throws to have good control. Big throws and a lot of expo so the sticks are soft in the center but full rudder is available when gliding is how I like it. It doesn't need any more dihedral. It banks with the rudder like it has ailerons. Last night I used the heat gun to add a bit more wash-out to the wing tips. We'll see if that helps or hurts today. It had some nice flights yesterday. It looks cool in the air with the sun shining through the covering.
great article, i would love to make an other Piet, I made the FT pietenpol with ailerons and loved it, for rims and tires I found large nylon fender washers, cut some 1/8" washer fluid hose length wise, stretched it around the washer to mark, glued together then slipped it over the washer with alittle glue

Attachments

• IMG_5589.JPG
    IMG_5589.JPG
    30.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5590.JPG
    IMG_5590.JPG
    30.1 KB · Views: 0

TooJung2Die

Master member
Those wheels look good. I've tried using tubing and foam insulation for tires. I haven't found a glue that works well for sticking the ends together so it doesn't come apart or leave an unsightly seam. What do you use?

slowjo

Master member
Those wheels look good. I've tried using tubing and foam insulation for tires. I haven't found a glue that works well for sticking the ends together so it doesn't come apart or leave an unsightly seam. What do you use?
i wipe with alcohol and use tire glue ( for rc car tires)