800 Series | nnSpitfire

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
As you seem to have some level of expertise I would recommend that you climb to 3 mistakes high and practice the stalls to see which wing drops and how sharp the stall really is.

A few points to consider at stall!

If slightly tail heavy the stall will be sudden and violent, if too tail heavy recovery might be difficult!

If nose heavy then the plane may not drop a wing sharply but rather slowly want to drop its nose or just sink faster!

A poorly setup differential can exacerbate tip stall because of asymmetrical drag on the wings caused by the ailerons when trying to keep the wings level, the resultant slight yaw component might cause one wing to slow unexpectedly and suddenly drop violently.

If you are really worried about the landing speed and possible damage because of the environment you could consider the fitting of flaps.

Have fun!

FTbob

Alot of nice planes in this thread!

Just finished rebuilding mine after a big crash! Awesome plane, one of the best and easiest flying planes i have flown!

I'm running a turnigy 2200kv with a 6x4 apc on 3s2200mah with 50A ESC. (Esc might be oversized but i had it laying around).
2zeavfa.jpg

Thank you Nerdnic for this amazing plane!

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
Hi,

Can you recommend a motor/prop for a 3s@2000mah that gives a good speed/thrust balance?

I was also wondering how 'bad' the tip stall tendency is, does it suddenly drop a wing or is it quite predictable? I fly in a very weedy disused patch of land so there is no smooth landing. If I come in too quick (to avoid a stall) the bigger weeds and cause some damage so I tend to fly as slow just above the stall level. I have reasonable intermediate skills (in my opinion!!!).

Thanks
nick

Hi there! A good setup with a really powerful thrust feeling would be about a 200w motor with a 9x6 prop. If you need specific motor suggestions let me know!

The tip stalls aren't awful but it is a Spitfire. Most warbirds aren't super floaty and require you to keep your speed up a little. I think you'll be okay if you're an intermediate.

nickf

Hi,

I have scaled up the 800 plans to produce a 1M wingspan (i.e printed then out @125%). Now that they are in front of me I realise that things like the servo cut outs and foam cuts that are aimed at being an exact fit for the foam board will not be 1.25 times bigger! :confused:

Aside from these, is there any reason why the other scaling should not be accurate, such as the more critical wing shoulder curve that is marked out in the fuz sides?

Just a double check before I commit knife to board!!

Thanks

nick

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
Hi,

I have scaled up the 800 plans to produce a 1M wingspan (i.e printed then out @125%). Now that they are in front of me I realise that things like the servo cut outs and foam cuts that are aimed at being an exact fit for the foam board will not be 1.25 times bigger! :confused:

Aside from these, is there any reason why the other scaling should not be accurate, such as the more critical wing shoulder curve that is marked out in the fuz sides?

Just a double check before I commit knife to board!!

Thanks

nick

Hey nick,

I have 1000mm plans on my site in the beta section. It's been built a few times and should work great for you.

http://www.nerdnic.com/beta.html

Get the plans for the nnSpitfire, it's 1000mm. Keep me posted!

nickf

Thanks nerdnic!

I'm just having a quick look through the plans and have some (probably dumb! questions) :

1) The long spar in the middle of the fuz pdf, This must be for the wings, but the Lwing pdf has a dihedral spar that is not tapered, so they cant be used together. If you use the fuz foam board spar you end up eith a nicely tapered wing. If you use the spar from the LWing there would be no taper. I must be misunderstanding something?

2) The fin and tail plane wing have a double thickness, so the green lines represent a symmetrical bevelling of both surfaces?

3) The tail plane wing has (fuz diagram) has a slot cut out, I guess this is for strengthening with a balsa spar/bbq spar?

4) I'd like alittle speed but not ballistic, combined with a reasonable flight time from a 3s 2.2aH battery. Do you have motor/prop setup that would give that?

It will be a slow build as I dont get much time but I will post pics and feedback!

Thanks for your help nick.

nick

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
Thanks nerdnic!

I'm just having a quick look through the plans and have some (probably dumb! questions) :

1) The long spar in the middle of the fuz pdf, This must be for the wings, but the Lwing pdf has a dihedral spar that is not tapered, so they cant be used together. If you use the fuz foam board spar you end up eith a nicely tapered wing. If you use the spar from the LWing there would be no taper. I must be misunderstanding something?

2) The fin and tail plane wing have a double thickness, so the green lines represent a symmetrical bevelling of both surfaces?

3) The tail plane wing has (fuz diagram) has a slot cut out, I guess this is for strengthening with a balsa spar/bbq spar?

4) I'd like alittle speed but not ballistic, combined with a reasonable flight time from a 3s 2.2aH battery. Do you have motor/prop setup that would give that?

It will be a slow build as I dont get much time but I will post pics and feedback!

Thanks for your help nick.

nick

No dumb questions here :)

1. You'll use both spars. The long foam spar is for shape and the V spar is actually made of wood. Check my nnChipmunk build video to see how the spar installs.

2. Correct. Check out my nnP-39 build video to see how the tail pieces work.

3. Yes.

4. The advanced electronics listed on my site would work great. You'll get great thrust and sporty feeling but it will slow down and still give you long flight times at under half throttle.

Links are here: http://www.nerdnic.com/electronics.html

ADVANCED (50mph)
MOTOR - NTM 35-36 1400kv
PROP - 9x6 APC
ESC - 60a Dynam
BATTERY - 2200mah 40c 3S
SERVOS - 9g

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
okay so you said before that I would go around 75+ mph with a 4s 50c rs2205 and a dal cyclone 5x4.5, but how fast with a apc 4.75x5.5 prop with the same motor and battery, or will this be over propping my motor do to the extra pitch or possibly under propping it due to its small size?

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
okay so you said before that I would go around 75+ mph with a 4s 50c rs2205 and a dal cyclone 5x4.5, but how fast with a apc 4.75x5.5 prop with the same motor and battery, or will this be over propping my motor do to the extra pitch or possibly under propping it due to its small size?

I've never tried this small of a prop on this size plane. I would think you'd have thrust issues that would result in poor flight.

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
Alot of nice planes in this thread!

Just finished rebuilding mine after a big crash! Awesome plane, one of the best and easiest flying planes i have flown!

I'm running a turnigy 2200kv with a 6x4 apc on 3s2200mah with 50A ESC. (Esc might be oversized but i had it laying around).
2zeavfa.jpg

Thank you Nerdnic for this amazing plane!

Nice build! Looks great in yellow.

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
That will look awesome! Can't wait to see it. I haven't been able to fly much here in Tx, it's been so hot even early morning/evening. I'm really looking forward to the end of summer so I can get some more stick time on my Spit.