800 Series | nnSpitfire

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
Nice work! Looks to fly really good but the elevator looks to have a little too much throw. Do you guys enjoy flying it?

blutch

This depron version of the nnSpitfire is ready for its maiden flight.
After building the Flitetest FTSpitfire and FTMustang I had to build the nnSpitfire 800. I think it looks more realistic then the FT version and has more detail...
Thanks for sharing your buildplans Nic!

20180318-IMG_9103.jpg 20180318-IMG_9101.jpg

blutch

After 2 maiden(or is it remaiden?) flights with one big crash(see photo below) I finally got it in the air! CG was way too far to the tail during the first flight. I used the beta plans of his big brother for the tail, so it is tail heavier than it should be. I have to do some fine tuning to the controls but it is already flying great! It's much faster than the FT Spitfire of course so it is a bit more difficult to fly, but I will get used to the speed :cool:

IMG-20180325-WA0000.jpeg

Last edited:

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
Give it a harder toss and it will help!

Anyone else still flying their nnSpit? I got a lot of flights on mine before getting to brave and crashing it late last year. Now she’s just hanging on my wall :p

blutch

Give it a harder toss and it will help!
Yes, you are right! On the video I toss with my left hand for the first time(I am right-handed) to have more control over the rudder and elevator right from the start but that didn't work out as well as I had hoped :p More throttle did the trick with the last toss...

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
Anyone else still flying their nnSpit? I got a lot of flights on mine before getting to brave and crashing it late last year. Now she’s just hanging on my wall :p
Mine is still going strong but I haven't flown it in quite a while:(

JakeTheSloth

Nic, your plans are great and really well detailed but speedwing isn't working too well when you're just flying on FT pack setup. Stalls are pretty common when on low speed :/ I made some planes designed by you, mini P-39, 800mm MiG-3, 1m Ki-61 and 800mm Chipmunk with undercambered wings - Ki and MiG-3 were really nice to fly unless I was doing stupid stuff like hammerheads, spins or inverted 1 meter above ground :p the chipmunk was really easy to fly and it looked great (until my brother crashed it lol) I'd love to make and fly planes designed by you but with FT style wings (undercamber). I'll be really happy if you consider adding undercambered wings for your plans :) Keep up the great work !

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
Thanks for the feedback, jake :)

Is anyone else interested in an undercamber wing for my 800 Spit?

nickf

Thanks for the feedback, jake :)

Not really, thats the realm of the standard FT designs ??? !!!

! found your speed wing great, as to me it looks and flies better. I built your 1m beta spit design and really impressed by its flight characteristics: but not the way I built it. One wing has more lift than the other due to me trying to build it with stronger tips so it pulls to one side., but I'm going to build another properly - my next project.

nickf

blutch

If I want to fly slowly I take my FTMustang ot FTSpitfire. IMHO the nnSpitfire800 is great the way it is now. Very fast even with 3S (see video :cool:). Only the start is still a bit tricky ;)
I would be interested in a nnMustang800 though... :D