A ZMR250 build thread. Like a blackout but on a budget.

SnowRocker88

Amateur pilot and builder
There's a plug on the back for power, ground, and video, and a separate plug for the OSD controls. You can change your settings, then disconnect the OSD controls. I don't know about the ZMR specifically, but it seems like most mounting plates accommodate this size.

Very cool! Thanks CodeMonkey!!

SnowRocker88

On the 600 TVL Sony Super from SC2000, what is the input voltage range? I didn't see that in the "details" or "specifications" tabs...

SnowRocker88

Just a note, I may have fried my receiver. :( I flew it last night and put it into the grass up-side-down. And the grass was a little wet. Hit it with a blow-dryer and tested and it ran fine last night but went to fly at lunch today and didn't get any response. I'll try to bind it again tonight and see if that does anything but if not I'll be ordering another receiver.

Either way, I'll be taking some steps towards waterproofing my electronics.

jipp

bummer, yeah sounds like some of the water proof spray may come in handy. that is about the only thing i do not have to worry about in the desert. heat will be my problem. 115F summers are the norm.

chris.

ExperimentalRC

A nearly same thing happened to me today. I was flying through the woods when a power line came out of nowhere...

Landed in about 3 feet of snow. immediately unplugged the battery, took it home, hair dried it, and one of the ESCs doesn't work. The worst part about it is that the crash erased all of the content off my mobius. The mobius still works, but I had some really nice video flying through the woods.

Snarls

Gravity Tester
Mentor
I think it's that plastic you find as covers on school notebooks. I think anything that is wind resistant and light weight could work.

SnowRocker88

Okay, new question...anyone know why an esc would keep restarting/rebooting in flight? I've had it happen a few times after crashing but it has caused 2 crashes now from a decent altitude. Seems to happen when I yaw aggressively or cut throttle too much.

On a related note, I've blown through 6 props in a matter of 10min or so. One crash killed 4 (left the motors spinning as my initial reaction was to try and recover) and 2nd crash killed 2.

UPDATE 9/28/15: Problem was the 4-in-1 ESC I was using (Favourite Quattro). It, for some reason, kept wanting to restart. Changed to a Q Brain after the Favourite burned up and all the restarting problems went away!

Last edited:

SnowRocker88

Okay, could it be that I don't have heat-shrink or electrical tape on my bullet connectors for my ESC? My only theories are that or it doesn't actually have BlHeli on it/them and something is going on with the firmware. Which is more likely?

First step on my own will be to apply heat-shrink to the ESC/Motor bullet connectors. I know the suggestion is to solider them but the lengths are almost perfect and I'd prefer to not have to subject any wires to my horrible soldering skills.

ExperimentalRC

Make sure the solder connections to the PDB are solid, and go over each one again. What ESCs are you using? You could be pulling too much current through them and they will shut down due to heat.

SnowRocker88

Make sure the solder connections to the PDB are solid, and go over each one again. What ESCs are you using? You could be pulling too much current through them and they will shut down due to heat.

Favorite Quatttro. No PDB, just a single power connection to the battery. Felt for heat and there was none...

They shouldn't get warm anyways. Just running 6x3's with 12amp esc's on a 3S with 2200kv motors.

Last edited:

SonicRC

Anybody consider something like the QAV250 Aero Guard to protect internal electronics from wet grass/rain? Looks simple enough to DIY.

Use the vinyl material you find at auto stores or some vinyl contact paper from the $ store.
Made one up for my BlackOut easy using leftover carbon vinyl I had from another project. IMG_1034_preview_featured.JPG