Ace GLH 250 - My first balsa build!

ACE62

I am starting on the Willie Bullies Super Sport 250. Those are some beautiful kits and great designs. I do need to order some of their covering material. Generally speaking, how much or how many sheets are needed?
Thank you.

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
I am starting on the Willie Bullies Super Sport 250. Those are some beautiful kits and great designs. I do need to order some of their covering material. Generally speaking, how much or how many sheets are needed?
Thank you.
I need to use two of their covering packs for my plane, one for the fuse and one for the wing. I would think it's the same for all of his designs but I don't know what the SS 250 uses so I can't be sure. I would ask @Willy Nillies to see what he says...

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Thank you.

Welcome aboard! :D

@Grifflyer is on point - 2 packs of his covering should do any of the WN designs.

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
Well, I'm out of servos. I don't want to retire any of my other planes, so this project is going on a hiatus until I get so more servos (which should be at christmas)
On the bright side I will be starting a new project with the goal of going fast:devilish:

TooJung2Die

Master member
Love seeing a Cox glow engine running full throttle until the fuel runs out. Brought back some memories. :) Those GLH get real small real fast!

Wow, that's a heck of a nice landing strip!
I visited the Orange County Modelers Association flying field last October. My jaw dropped when I saw their field and strip. Some of those CA clubs have money to burn.

L Edge

Master member
In my boneyard, found our old GLH that we used in the late 70's to testout the TD's performance after I reseated the ball. Since we raced pylon,and the planes were all the same, it really depended on the engine and prop. Prop was a 5D-3P and so after each weekend race, every time meant taking it apart, re-seat it and then flight check. And it really would Go Like H--l. More than once, I had to dis-assemble and redo..

My son got a Christmas gift from Cox/Sanwa which included a 6 channel radio and 3 TD 049's since he was an excellant pilot who won a lot of races.

IMG_0344.JPG

Not bad for sitting around for about 40 years.
Will run it this spring.

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
Love seeing a Cox glow engine running full throttle until the fuel runs out. Brought back some memories. :) Those GLH get real small real fast!

I visited the Orange County Modelers Association flying field last October. My jaw dropped when I saw their field and strip. Some of those CA clubs have money to burn.

Full speed till fuel runs out. That could get interesting! :eek:

Turbojoe

Elite member
Full speed till fuel runs out. That could get interesting! :eek:

That's the only reason I never got into flying R/C with Cox/Testors etc 1/2A engines even though I've owned many in the past. The "throttled" versions were less than what I would call having a controlled RPM. I'll never argue with a full on 1/2A pilot though. They're pretty gung ho about these engines. I fully respect that. They're jut not for me. Heck, even though I'll never own another glow engine I actually miss the smell of glow fuel. I don't miss the cost, the mess and the clean up though. You know if there was a VERY low cost, VERY lightweight .049 sound generator I'd probably put a few in some planes just because. :)

Joe

Keno

If you have ever had a hot TD .049 in a GLH it was one of your best memory's. Chuck it into to the air and hang on. 3 mins of sheer enjoyment and knee knocken fun. You had no choice but to wait for its fuel supply to run out and keep in competition or flight. If you had it tuned right you could take it vertical and to lean out the motor and land in a proper manor, Great airplane the GLH you will love it if you can keep up with it.