ACE Guppy Scratch Build

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Is that one of those micro 1811 motors, actually smaller than a 1806 motor? Like this? (1806 on the left, 1811 right)
View attachment 166789
Do you remember where you got it? I really like this motor but can't for the life of me remember where it came from.

Yeah, the one on the right is what I've got on there. I think it might be taking the measurement from a different point than the rest of the industry....

TooJung2Die

Master member
I just checked my spare motor inventory and it turns out I have another one. Duh. I thought I was getting a bigger motor when I ordered one the first time. No complaints though ... it's a nice very quiet motor for light park fliers. In comparison it looks even smaller than the 1306/3100kv motors you get from Willy Nillies. It shows you can't rely on the motor manufacturers to all stick to one standard. I've never understood the "Park" motor number sizes and what they stood for.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
I finally got her out to the field for some test flights, with mixed results. I had to pull every bit of the extra weight I put into the nose out to get to a decent hand glide into the weeds. Then with a powered hand toss she still went into an immediate right roll and nose dive. So I added some spacers under the leading edge to increase the angle of attack and motor angle, and tried again. Slightly better - she did have some sustained flight but the sharp right roll took her down within 20 feet, and no amount of left rudder or elevator would keep her up.

So she's back to the workshop for some alterations. First, the dihedral. Since I was reusing a wing from a previous project, the dihedral is only half what the plans called for. Time to fix that - should help address the sharp right roll. And increase the motor thrust angle a good bit - stop the nose dive pressure under power, and a little extra on the angle of attack too since that seemed to help. Yes, it's changing more than one variable at a time, but hey - what's the worst that could happen? :p

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Good ideas guys - since the wing changes would be more intensive surgery than these suggestions, I'll be changing approach :)

Thanks!

BeausDad

Very nice build, I like your magnetic holders too. I just bought a set of plans on Ebay. Wondering if you have the instructions for this build? Or did you find some online? I have been searching to download but nothing I have found yet. Thanks for a very nice post!

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Very nice build, I like your magnetic holders too. I just bought a set of plans on Ebay. Wondering if you have the instructions for this build? Or did you find some online? I have been searching to download but nothing I have found yet. Thanks for a very nice post!

I didn't go looking for any instructions beyond the bit printed on the plans - it wasn't too crazy, and if you need any help feel free to ask!