• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Airtronics Olympic II electric sailplane build

GliderFlyer

I just had another thought about the nose. I can continue to build the nose past the motor mount to be able to fit a smaller spinner. If I do that, then I can sand the excess mount flush with the fuselage. The question then is should I go for a smaller spinner?
This is not the spinner I intend to use, but probably something this size.
IMG_20210216_113710.jpg

GliderFlyer

Wow, I modified my alerts to exclude likes, but for some reason, I have not seen alerts for replies to this thread. I gotta fix that.:unsure:
I am choosing to build on the nose to use a smaller spinner. The prop adapter in the photo is put as far in as it can. I will sand the motor mount's circle shape down to fit the fuselage, and build across the gap with a harder wood (not balsa) because I know from experience that hard landings can dent balsa.
I don't want to do any work on the nose until I get the spinner* so I can work with it. In the mean time, I have servos and pushrods to install and a the rear fuselage needs sheeting. After that, the wings:eek:

*This might not be anytime soon because I am currently saving up all funds to purchase a new TX. I'm about 30% there so far.

The wings are next. I need to get the parts for spoiler construction though. I will be building both inboard panels at the same time, to save time and to be consistent. I dry fitted the ribs to the spars.
IMG_20210222_195534[1].jpg

From front to back: A B C
IMG_20210222_195620[1].jpg

that's A grain, B grain, C grain. I thought it would be stronger if I line it up that way, but I don't think it will make a difference if I crash it hard enough.

Bricks

The wings are next. I need to get the parts for spoiler construction though. I will be building both inboard panels at the same time, to save time and to be consistent. I dry fitted the ribs to the spars.
View attachment 193505
From front to back: A B C
View attachment 193506
but I don't think it will make a difference if I crash it hard enough.
Never does ,,,,,,,,:love: I am surprised to see grain running in different directions for ribs