I think I'm ready to glue the motor mount on. The additional fiberglass layer went on fine. You can't really tell in the photo, but the balloon left some ridges on the inside. The motor still has enough clearance though.
Here goes. This was the best way I could think of to clamp the firewall
Hopefully the rubberbands won't stick too much. I used epoxy because I wanted time to work and gap-filling abilities. I glued it with the motor in so that it would be aligned and I know that there will be room for the wires.
Here are some pictures of the results. The mount went over the bottom by about 1.5mm. Should I sand it out and lose the circle shape, or glue some wood to the bottom and sand that to make the fuse circular?
I just had another thought about the nose. I can continue to build the nose past the motor mount to be able to fit a smaller spinner. If I do that, then I can sand the excess mount flush with the fuselage. The question then is should I go for a smaller spinner?
This is not the spinner I intend to use, but probably something this size.
Wow, I modified my alerts to exclude likes, but for some reason, I have not seen alerts for replies to this thread. I gotta fix that.
I am choosing to build on the nose to use a smaller spinner. The prop adapter in the photo is put as far in as it can. I will sand the motor mount's circle shape down to fit the fuselage, and build across the gap with a harder wood (not balsa) because I know from experience that hard landings can dent balsa.
I don't want to do any work on the nose until I get the spinner* so I can work with it. In the mean time, I have servos and pushrods to install and a the rear fuselage needs sheeting. After that, the wings
*This might not be anytime soon because I am currently saving up all funds to purchase a new TX. I'm about 30% there so far.
The wings are next. I need to get the parts for spoiler construction though. I will be building both inboard panels at the same time, to save time and to be consistent. I dry fitted the ribs to the spars.
From front to back: A B C
that's A grain, B grain, C grain. I thought it would be stronger if I line it up that way, but I don't think it will make a difference if I crash it hard enough.
The wings are next. I need to get the parts for spoiler construction though. I will be building both inboard panels at the same time, to save time and to be consistent. I dry fitted the ribs to the spars. View attachment 193505
From front to back: A B C View attachment 193506
but I don't think it will make a difference if I crash it hard enough.