AP Rascal Racer (700 mm | 27.56 in)

AircPirateNinsei

airc-pirates.com
Assembly complete, all ready for a maiden when both weather and family schedule let me get back out to the field again!

The first #77 that i see - thank you! Awesome work! :cool:

Did the build go smooth for you or have you any amendments?

I hope the thrust angle fits to your choice of motor! The thrust angle in the build plan is for the 1950kv Funfighter Replacement Motor.

I am looking forward to your maiden flight!

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
No issues with the build other than my own inattention - I installed two of the hooks backwards once but no other mistakes. :)

planebreaker2000

I got some more building done this weekend.

rascal 1.jpg rascal 2.jpg rascal 3.jpg

I did build the plan as per your plans, and I really like it, but I did not install the electronics at least not yet. I did use the measurements from your plane and adapted them to a former and stringer type fuse and a nerdnic type speedwing and tail feathers. I still need to finish some details like painting the cowl to match and install the canopy and put the red on the rudder. Maybe this week sometime. I hope you don't mind my tinkering with your plans.

Last edited:

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
I think you need at least 1400mm (55.12 in) wingspan for a power 10 motor, because it´s a heavy motor (122 g | 4.3 oz). And this motor has only 1100KV with large 10x5 to 12x6 electric props.

I think the larger version should have 1.000 mm (39.37 in) wingspan. The NTM Prop Drive 28-36 2200KV / 696W with 87g (3.07 oz) should have the perfect weight and power.

What do you think?

You could definitely run a 120g motor on a smaller plane. I use the 120g NTM 1800kv 3536 on 30" planes without issue. The wing loading isn't that of a floaty trainer but we are talking about racers here, right? :)

planebreaker2000

I agree Nic. This one is 44" WS with a power 10 and with a 3cell 2800Mah battery it is still only 30 ounces. I am not yet ready for the maiden flight, but hopefully this week.

AircPirateNinsei

airc-pirates.com
No issues with the build other than my own inattention - I installed two of the hooks backwards once but no other mistakes. :)

Thanks for the note! I will point out in the plan. :D
Here are some pics:

AP_RASCAL_Hooks_01.JPG

AP_RASCAL_Hooks_02.JPG

I got some more building done this weekend.

View attachment 70375

I did build the plan as per your plans, and I really like it, but I did not install the electronics at least not yet. I did use the measurements from your plane and adapted them to a former and stringer type fuse and a nerdnic type speedwing and tail feathers. I still need to finish some details like painting the cowl to match and install the canopy and put the red on the rudder. Maybe this week sometime. I hope you don't mind my tinkering with your plans.

What a beautiful plane! :cool:
Nerdnics speed wing is definitely a higher level and a must have for advanced builders! I don't mind your tinkering with my plans - i like new creations! ;)

You could definitely run a 120g motor on a smaller plane. I use the 120g NTM 1800kv 3536 on 30" planes without issue. The wing loading isn't that of a floaty trainer but we are talking about racers here, right? :)

Yes, i agree with you! I know your thread: 115MPH 800mm FT Spitfire :D

If the CG is alright a 120g motor is no problem. My answer was for the standard places of the electronic parts for a scaled up version of the 700. Now i see that there is enough space in the fuselage of the 1000 for a heavier motor. I dont like additional weight and i always try to reach the perfect CG with the search for the perfect places of the electronic parts to counter the weight of the motor. Particularly the position of the tail servos is important here!

... This one is 44" WS with a power 10 and with a 3cell 2800Mah battery it is still only 30 ounces. I am not yet ready for the maiden flight, but hopefully this week.

I agree with Nic - you should try 4s! :cool:

Last edited:

planebreaker2000

Ninsei,

Thanks for the compliment. I have the tail feather servos all the way at the rear to compensate for the weight of the motor, and with everything ready for flight the battery sits Half over the wing and half in front towards the motor. I did not have to add any dead weight. I used adomone cg calculator and it reads cg at 2.46 from the leading edge. We will see how it goes if/when the wind ever dies down while I am at home and can fly.

AircPirateNinsei

airc-pirates.com

The most Downloads (almost 50% of all sticker sheet downloads) has the sticker sheet with the #14 in black-red color.
So I created and added a new #86 in red-black color with gray canopy!

719x719_AP_RR_86.JPG

DOWNLOADS

Now you have the choice between the black-red #14 or the red-black #86! :D

I also updated the other sticker sheets, because i forgot the two small chequer pattern, that are placed on the bottomside of the wing, left and right of the fuselage.

Have fun!

AircPirateNinsei

airc-pirates.com
Thank you for more than 1.000 downloads! :)
160621_downloads.png

"rocky boy" shared pics of his #77 - thanks again!
I would like to see pics of the other Rascals too (#14, #28, #36, #42, #57, #63, #77, #86).

Please share pictures and videos of your Rascals!

Last edited: