Baby Baron - Build

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
The article for the Ugly Wonder is written and submitted. Now I need to get the build instructions done for the Baby Baron and get ready to release this one too!

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
I gutted the prototype last night. R.I.P. my friend. Your sacrifice will not be forgotten.

2015-05-06 18.24.45.jpg

Last edited:

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Prepping the patient for transplant surgery...

2015-05-06 18.25.30.jpg

And the operation is a success!

2015-05-07 06.45.58.jpg

2015-05-07 06.46.28.jpg

I'm really happy with the way the mini version of the Baron turned out. The servo hole cutouts aren't perfect, but I am going to leave them as is in the plans. You will have to cut the holes to fit your exact servo, and it's pretty easy to do. I'm hoping to get the maiden flight of this one on video this weekend.

russj48

russj48
Baby Baron

New Baby Baron is ready for a test flight.
Baby Baron.jpg

E-Max 1804 5.3 prop
Turnigy 10A ESC
Turnigy 3S 460 ma lipo
Turnigy 1440A Servos
Lemon receiver
Four channel setup
175 gr all up weight ready to fly with battery.

This was a fun build! Thanks Sponz for the great plans. These were 1.1 version plans and I had to move the servos back a bit to clear the wing. Not a problem, just should have waited to cut the hole out until I saw how it went together. The balance came out fine even with the three cell lipo.

I wanted to be able to do spins and snap rolls so added rudder control.

Last edited:

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
New Baby Baron is ready for a test flight.
View attachment 46889

E-Max 1804 5.3 prop
Turnigy 10A ESC
Turnigy 3S 460 ma lipo
Turnigy 1440A Servos
Lemon receiver
Four channel setup
175 gr all up weight ready to fly with battery.

This was a fun build! Thanks Sponz for the great plans. These were 1.1 version plans and I had to move the servos back a bit to clear the wing. Not a problem, just should have waited to cut the hole out until I saw how it went together. The balance came out fine even with the three cell lipo.

I wanted to be able to do spins and snap rolls so added rudder control.

That is awesome! Did you fly it with the rudder yet? Post some video of that if you can.

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Finally had some decent weather and almost no wind! Keegan and I got to fly tonight for about 3 hours. This video is th Baby Baron v1.1 maiden flight. Only needed a little bit of trim and flew really well. I even dared to put a streamer on it for the maiden flight! She's ready for combat now.

Keegan stuffed his in hard nose first. Broken prop was the only damage. It's a pretty tough little plane.

mad_milchmann

whow looks really nice with that streamer.
I made some minor modifications to mine, since it still didn't fly well with the droptank. :( I've the suspicion that the tank produces to much drag, since the plane tends to dive down abruptly when I thottle back to much but not really sure bout that. :confused:

But didn't have time and good weather on the same day to try it out with the new mods :/

If those mods don't get it to fly nice I'll finally lengthen the fuselage... which I didn't do up until now since I didn't want to ditch the old one.

If I'm lucky the weather report is wrong again and I can try it out tomorrow. :D

russj48

russj48
Baby Baron

Finally got some flights on the Baby Baron and I must say the first flight was very exciting! Had way too much control movement and the weight was too far back. By the third flight it was flying much better. The last two flights were great.

I added rudder control to mine and have not had enough flights to fully evaluate the performance of it. So far it is not very effective. I will get some more flights on it and make adjustments to see what the effective range is.

Thanks again SPONZ for fantastic little plane.

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Finally got some flights on the Baby Baron and I must say the first flight was very exciting! Had way too much control movement and the weight was too far back. By the third flight it was flying much better. The last two flights were great.

I added rudder control to mine and have not had enough flights to fully evaluate the performance of it. So far it is not very effective. I will get some more flights on it and make adjustments to see what the effective range is.

Thanks again SPONZ for fantastic little plane.

That sounds like my first experience with it too. I was seriously considering make it a little bigger, before I decided to try reducing the throws even more and dialing up the expo.

ruud

Was flying my Baby Baron on 3S today and having a lot of fun with it. Got a little too reckless and nosed it in. Only damage appears to be a cracked firewall, the rest of the plane appears to be intact. This is one tough little plane.

Alzey

Great little plane....Hope to get my motors in tomorrow so I can fly it. I am a total noob at the RC thing (4 days of flying so far) but an experienced building. My other hobby is wood working and wood turning. Your plans were very easy to follow and the way you tab your planes together made it very intuitive (for me at least) what went where. I had watch may of the FT build videos so I was familiar with the build concepts needed for this. I had only build an Old Fogey, FT mini speedster and FT Flyer prior to tacking this. I have only successful flown the FT flyer.

Yesterday I printed the plans for the Mini Baron and the Bloody Baron. I cut and assembled both planes while watching the Indy 500 and Coke 600. Or aprox 10 hour of casual build for the non race fans.

The mini baron is waiting on the motors so I can build the power pods and fly. The Bloody Baron is going to have to wait till I get to the hobby shop and get some more 1mm music wire for the control linkages.

All in all, they were easy to build and I cant wait to fly them.

Thanks for the great plans,
Alzey

Ed B.

Dan, do have an opinion on these smaller wings, how your folded airfoil works compared to the bent flat airfoil of the Mini Scout? When my Scout's fuselage is beyond repair, I am considering changes...airfoil might be one of them. Thanks, Ed

AkimboGlueGuns

Biplane Guy
Mentor
The folded wing makes it a lot stronger. The wings have never even come close to breaking on mine. It will fly faster with the actual air foil, but it becomes incredibly strong.