Baby Baron - Build

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Dan, do have an opinion on these smaller wings, how your folded airfoil works compared to the bent flat airfoil of the Mini Scout? When my Scout's fuselage is beyond repair, I am considering changes...airfoil might be one of them. Thanks, Ed

I built a FT Mini Scout (SBK) for indoor flying during the winter months. The under-cambered (folded airfoil) wing creates more drag, but does generate a little more lift. The Scout can slow down pretty well. I think the Baby Baron slows down pretty well too, and it is a much smaller plane than the Scout. I thought about putting an airfoil wing on the scout and adding ailerons as well. Just haven't tried it yet. If you do it, make sure you let us know how it turns out.

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Huge Update to first post. Adding the detailed build instructions. Please post any questions, comments or corrections. Thanks.

mad_milchmann

nice build instrucrions.
Maybe you could add some Informations about covering it in Tape. I forgot to leave the connection area between wing and fuse free of tape on my bloody baron and I had to reglue it after every day of flying, as the glue always comes loose. should be less of a Problem since the babay baron is more lightweight but nonetheless could cause issues.

Capt_Kitt

Thank you for the outstanding build instructions! I have a question, think there are any options for wheels? I'm getting tired of breaking props when I land, tall grass isn't an option as I live in Arizona.
-John

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Thank you for the outstanding build instructions! I have a question, think there are any options for wheels? I'm getting tired of breaking props when I land, tall grass isn't an option as I live in Arizona.
-John

I think you could easily modify some FT Mighty Mini Scout type gear to work with this. Not sure what that's going to do for the flight characteristics, but it should work. Let us know if you try it.

And, welcome to the Flite Test forums!

Last edited:

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
nice build instrucrions.
Maybe you could add some Informations about covering it in Tape. I forgot to leave the connection area between wing and fuse free of tape on my bloody baron and I had to reglue it after every day of flying, as the glue always comes loose. should be less of a Problem since the babay baron is more lightweight but nonetheless could cause issues.

Good Point! I made that mistake with one of my first taped planes last year too. I plan do write an article on finishing your plane with colored tape and printed paper graphics in the near future. I will be sure to point that out in the article. Thanks for the feedback.

I put landing gear on the Baby Baron fuselage. These double-walled fuselages are very sturdy so I used the BBQ skewer and rubber band type gear from the swappable series. Mods include a credit card backplate( fits the fuse curve well ) with reliefs for rubber bands though if you treat the edges of the fuselage with hot glue they are really grip tight. Also used a shorter down-leg on the wire( 2.75" with 2" wheels ). I put the pivot point in front of COG and been really liking zip ties as tail skids( cool idea from the Forums ). Hope this is helpful. image.jpg

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
I put landing gear on the Baby Baron fuselage. These double-walled fuselages are very sturdy so I used the BBQ skewer and rubber band type gear from the swappable series. Mods include a credit card backplate( fits the fuse curve well ) with reliefs for rubber bands though if you treat the edges of the fuselage with hot glue they are really grip tight. Also used a shorter down-leg on the wire( 2.75" with 2" wheels ). I put the pivot point in front of COG and been really liking zip ties as tail skids( cool idea from the Forums ). Hope this is helpful. View attachment 47752

Is that a Mini Nutball with my fuselage? :D

It totally is. I definitely saved my Baby Baron plans and the fuselage seems perfect for lots of mini-mods so it really made this an easy mod to do. To me the nutball at 75% fit best with your standard BB fuse. But I didn't really want a standard nutball so mine has a kf step, more wing/less wing tip, less dihedral, no rudder and delta style elevons. Seriously though the tabs were key to easily adapting this fuselage to different setups. Also seeing video of how well the Baby Baron flies gave me a lot of confidence.

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
It totally is. I definitely saved my Baby Baron plans and the fuselage seems perfect for lots of mini-mods so it really made this an easy mod to do. To me the nutball at 75% fit best with your standard BB fuse. But I didn't really want a standard nutball so mine has a kf step, more wing/less wing tip, less dihedral, no rudder and delta style elevons. Seriously though the tabs were key to easily adapting this fuselage to different setups. Also seeing video of how well the Baby Baron flies gave me a lot of confidence.

That's AWESOME! Hope to see some more pics or a video of it.

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
has anyone tried this plane with a rudder. And i just finished building mine:p it looks cool. What thrust angle should my motor be at?

Sorry, forgot to answer your other question. Did you use the pod I put in the plans? If so, the right thrust angle is already on it. The down trust you will get from the C-fold in the nose of the fuselage. Make sure the front of the pod is contacting the C-Fold and the rear of the pod is contacting the upper plate of the fuselage and that will set the proper thrust line.

Post up some pics of your build! ;)

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
great have you used it with your rudder

Not sure what you mean? :confused:

I fly the Bloody Baron with rudder all the time, it really makes the bigger plane come alive. I think it will be pretty ineffective on the Baby Baron. I'm waiting for someone in the community to report back on it. I have no plans to build a Baby Baron with a rudder in the near future. Way to many other projects in the works right now. ;)

russj48

russj48
Mini Scout with Ailerons

SPONZ,

Here is a snap of my Mini Scout with ailerons. I got the urge to do it one day and just made the score cuts about 3/4 inch wide. Used Turnagy 1440A servos and laid them flat on the wing just behind the crease. Axial rolls are possible now.

If I were to build another Mini Scout, I would try putting the servos inside. These little servos from HK work well and they are a great size for these minis.

IMAG1325.jpg

IMAG1550.jpg

Last edited:

russj48

russj48
Baby Baron Rudder

After a few more flights I have concluded these control movements are a good place to start with the Baby Baron:

Aileron- 5mm up and down
Elevator- 5mm up and down
Rudder- 10mm left and right

The rudder has some effect at 10mm but I have adjusted it up to 20mm for the next flights.

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
After a few more flights I have concluded these control movements are a good place to start with the Baby Baron:

Aileron- 5mm up and down
Elevator- 5mm up and down
Rudder- 10mm left and right

The rudder has some effect at 10mm but I have adjusted it up to 20mm for the next flights.

Great feedback. Thanks for sharing it.

mad_milchmann

I fly the Bloody Baron with rudder all the time, it really makes the bigger plane come alive. I think it will be pretty ineffective on the Baby Baron. I'm waiting for someone in the community to report back on it. I have no plans to build a Baby Baron with a rudder in the near future. Way to many other projects in the works right now.
ah, whatever, since I rebuild my baby barons fuselage anyway (due to the CoG issues I had) I can as well include rudder control. :cool:

Should I increase the size of the control surface? if so by how much? any ideas?
or should I just try it out the way it is and hope for the best? :confused:

I'll report back as soon as it's done and I've tried it out, but it might take some time, as I'm quite busy with lots of other stuff right now. :eek: