Balsa Forum Fall Build Along

OttoPilot

Woohoo! Received notification that my EVA-3d shipped today.

7 days from back-order to shipment is rather impressive.

Time to order servos, covering, and a receiver!

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
My notice just came through as well, shipping via USPS. With most shipping companies that would easily have it to me tomorrow, but knowing the USPS it'll be Wednesday or Thursday to get it the 115 miles from MM to me. :( Hopefully I'm wrong!

Boldo

Shipping confirmation and motor question again.

Also got shipping confirmation! Excited!
Back to the motor question:

Should i go with a Turnigy Park450-890, Park450-1200, or one of the Park 480's? :confused:

OttoPilot

Looking at the specs either 450 will probably work. The 480 looks a little beefy...you could probably make it work but you might accidentally fly your wings off with the extra power.

Looks like the 1200kv park 450 provides a little more power than the 890kv, but I personally like a lower Kv motor swinging a bigger prop.

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
If you're flying off grass, the bigger prop may be a problem unless you hand-launch. Both my ACE and Switchback are quick & easy to hand-launch, and as long as I bleed off enough speed when the wheels hit the grass I'm fine there as well.

Turbojoe

Elite member
Got notification an hour or so ago that my Sport wing kit had shipped. Love it! In my order comments I added the link here and invited Brian to stop in and say hi. He sent me a note that I read this morning saying he was going to try if he can get a chance. He's still really busy with school.

As far as the 480 motor in the EVA goes I have an E-Flight Park 480-1020 in one of my Tyro 150's and a Scorpion 3008-28 with an APC 11x5.5E prop in the other and they will pull that big bird vertical! WAY overkill for the EVA and far too much weight in the nose. I doubt you could balance the plane. Like stuffing a big block in a Chevette. :D

Joe

Turbojoe

Elite member
Cool! Just got USPS notification that my HeadsUpRC order just shipped too. I've been buying so much stuff lately that I forgot what I ordered from them this time. :confused: Last week it was servos. I guess the next package will be a surprise. he he. It sucks getting old..........

Do any of you get e-mails from Tower? I got one a few days back for $10.00 off a $20.00 order. Can't pass that up so I ordered $50.00 worth of stuff yesterday and got free shipping for $40.00. Works for me!

Joe

Last edited:

ranger351

Warbird Crazy!
Sounds like MM has be busy shipping kits! Got my tracking number from MM this morning also! So excited to get building!

Got notification an hour or so ago that my Sport wing kit had shipped. Love it! In my order comments I added the link here and invited Brian to stop in and say hi. He sent me a note that I read this morning saying he was going to try if he can get a chance. He's still really busy with school.

As far as the 480 motor in the EVA goes I have an E-Flight Park 480-1020 in one of my Tyro 150's and a Scorpion 3008-28 with an APC 11x5.5E prop in the other and they will pull that big bird vertical! WAY overkill for the EVA and far too much weight in the nose. I doubt you could balance the plane. Like stuffing a big block in a Chevette. :D

Joe

A big block in a chevette sounds like a good idea to me!

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
I saw one about 15 years ago. Thought it was the dumbest thing I'd ever seen. I wanted one SOOOOO bad though. :D

Joe

I was always interested in putting a 350 V8 into a Pontiac Fiero. There was at least one kit on the market years ago to make it work, and the power to weight ratio had to be insane. At 6'3", I actually fit better in the Fiero than any other car I've owned. That mid-engine layout gave me a lot of leg room.

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
So turning the thread back to the main focus of the build-along, is there anybody still lurking or on the fence about trying this? There is still time to join in on the fun, and you could always start late if needed. There's nothing in the rule book about having to join by a certain date, but we will officially start the build-along on Dec 1.

jsknockoff

Mentor
I hope to get some word on my order soon my card was processed last Sunday but I haven't gotten any sort of confirmation on the order. Tried calling today but got no answer.

ranger351

Warbird Crazy!
I was wondering if my order went thru also! I called and got an old answering machine message. Then I sent a emailed and quickly got a response telling me it would be shipped Saturday! Sounds like Brian still might be having trouble with his shoulder. When did you place the order jsknockoff? I placed my order on the 7th and got confirmation this morning.

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
I'd send him an e-mail and ask for an update. I did manage to get him on the phone once, but found e-mail was just easier. Just a guess, but his education is probably taking up much of his time these days based on the course list he posted for Mechanical Engineering. With a 3.9 GPA in the required classes I'm pretty amazed.

Either way, poke him with the e-mail stick to be sure it's on the way.

ranger351

Warbird Crazy!
Question for you guys that have built with balsa and have used different coverings! I want to cover my P-51 with silver but i have read that the silver solite is very transparent! I want my model to be opaque. Any suggestion on a different covering that wouldn't add a lot of weight? I plan to use a Himax Gear drive with a 2025-4200 brushless motor. Specs. say 175 watt motor capable of pulling up to 30oz. I would like to add a steerable tail wheel and flaps if possible! Does this sound crazy?

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
I have used silver SoLite as well as other SoLite colors, plus many other brands. The silver SoLite isn't as transparent as the lighter SoLite colors (yellow & white, which I've used), but you'll still see a little bit of structure through it. I've got one glider that uses silver SoLite for the fuselage, so I'll try and take a picture that shows what it would look like.

From memory, I think it would work pretty well for what you want and would certainly be light enough to not crush any structure. I guess the bottom line for me is if MM recommends the lighter covering I'd go that route with SoLite or a similar covering.

jsknockoff

Mentor
I was wondering if my order went thru also! I called and got an old answering machine message. Then I sent a emailed and quickly got a response telling me it would be shipped Saturday! Sounds like Brian still might be having trouble with his shoulder. When did you place the order jsknockoff? I placed my order on the 7th and got confirmation this morning.

Ordered mine on the 6th, all the products were showing in stock status. Not a big deal just would've been nice to receive a confirmation that my order had been received.

Turbojoe

Elite member
I think Brian is just running a little behind right now due to school. I ordered my wing kit on the 7th and it shipped yesterday. I wasn't worried. He always comes through. Tracking shows mine to be here tomorrow.

Joe

jsknockoff

Mentor
I'm not worried about receiving my order, several of you guys have given good reviews of this guy. However, I did find it a little odd to have my credit card charged for the order without receiving a confirmation email that the order was processed. In any case, I'm looking forward to getting this thing and taking a look at it.