Balsa Forum Fall Build Along

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
Hey, while you're checking it out can you take a couple good detail pics of the landing gear modification you've done to strengthen it? If I remember correctly, that's the only real mod suggested for the EVA.

Turbojoe

Elite member
Hey, while you're checking it out can you take a couple good detail pics of the landing gear modification you've done to strengthen it? If I remember correctly, that's the only real mod suggested for the EVA.

Will do. I think I did a quickie job on it so it may not be pretty. Honestly can't remember. On the trike geared EVA I used a bigger piece of ply to better spread the load. I'll shoot pictures of both.

Joe

Turbojoe

Elite member
EVA gear mod.

OK I shot some pix. Told you the bipe mod was ugly! It works though and was done years ago so I should get a pass. I still prefer the larger piece of ply that I used on the trike mod EVA and the weight difference is just not worth talking about. It blends in really well with the black SolarFilm covering. No mods are needed inside as that area is strong enough. On the trike I even put the gear mount in the stock conventional position in case I ever decide to go tail dragger (not bloody likely). It's weird how the camera makes the gear looks crooked on both planes but trust me, they're straight. When I start my build I'll cover everything needed for the trike gear mod and the twin mod. I'm still trying to salvage those poorly built Sport wings I bought for the twin mod and save the new ones for spares.

I also weighed the EVA Bipe and the EVA trike. The EVA Bipe minus battery is 20.2 ounces with a Scorpion 2015-18 and an APC 9x5E prop. I was obviously high on CA fumes when I put that prop on as it should have an APC 10x5E!!! I'll rectify that and vertical will then be just fine. The EVA trike weighed in at 18.0 ounces minus battery using a Scorpion 2015-18 and an APC 10x5E prop. Performance is nothing short of spectacular and I really should only have a 2012-22 on it. As I said in an earlier post with the 2015-18 motor you MUST exercise throttle management on the down lines or aileron flutter will become an issue. I'm going to try something in my build to hopefully help stabilize the ailerons at higher than designed speeds. One thing about the EVA Sport that none of 50+ other planes in my hangar will do is fly inverted HANDS OFF! I'm talking NO elevator correction needed. No plane with a "flat bottom" wing design and that much dihedral should fly inverted so well. Brian will kill me for saying this but the flight envelope of the Sport wing is so wide I have only flown my 3D wings maybe twice. Nothing wrong with the 3D's but if you have the Sport wing you'll be VERY happy with it. Jump right to the Bipe wings when you want a change.

Looks like USPS finally figured out how to get a shipment out of Wisconsin. My MM Sport wings and my MM Lucky Ace got here today. A day late but they're here. I'm a happy camper!

I have no idea what an unmodified EVA Sport weighs and I'm curious to see how light some of you get. 16 oz AUW should be possible if you build right.

Joe

Attachments

• IMG_1821.JPG
    IMG_1821.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_1809.JPG
    IMG_1809.JPG
    639.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1816.JPG
    IMG_1816.JPG
    1,024 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1803.JPG
    IMG_1803.JPG
    893.4 KB · Views: 0

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
Brian can dedicate his next car payment to you! :)

So the "modification" to the EVA landing gear is just adding a little light plywood to the bottom to spread the load out a bit?? That's probably the simplest mod I've ever seen, but makes plenty of sense!

So with an EVA, a Lucky ACE, plus the Taylorcraft I sent you I'm guessing you'll be busy for at least 5 days. :cool:

Turbojoe

Elite member
Yeah, the area under the gear is just balsa and it'll compress and allow the gear to loosen up with use. Really, anything harder than the balsa will be a help.

While I'll be doing a full build I'll be concentrating mainly on mods. Aside from the plate under the gear the EVA needs no other mods but I really like trike gear and twins so that's the direction I'm going to take. The twin is presenting some wing wiring challenges already so I hope I can get some time this weekend to work through them. I REALLY want an EVA twin! (Evil Twin?)

I can't wait for the build to start. I never fail to learn something new. Even first time builders always seem to come up with new and better ways to do something. I'm always saying "now why didn't I think of that!" These build along threads are a great learning experience for everyone. This is going to be a ton of fun.

Joe

jsknockoff

Mentor
Nine people so far! You guys started a movement. This is great!

I'm really encouraged by the amount of people wanting to join the build. My goal at the beginning was 10 people, but I honestly never expected that we would have that many. When I started this hobby as a kid 20 years ago ARF's were looked at as kind of a pathetic way to fly, and the diehards didn't really approve. As with anything I think the instant gratification won out, and the negative attitude toward new ways of doing things drove the new flyers in a different direction. (Just look at the decline in fun fly and giant scale events!) Building an airplane from a kit and actually seeing it fly, especially if it flies well, has to be one of the most satisfying feelings. I really hope to have some exposure through this forum to balsa building and maybe some of us who have been in it for a long time can benefit from a revived market eventually, and see some new products become available in the way of kits and supplies.

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
I'm pretty impressed with 9 as well, and also that we could get so many people to agree on (mostly) one plane from (mostly) one kit manufacturer. :) Getting a good base of balsa builders up and running will make future build-alongs or even contests much easier and I could see this being a regular event.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
While I'll be doing a full build I'll be concentrating mainly on mods. Aside from the plate under the gear the EVA needs no other mods but I really like trike gear and twins so that's the direction I'm going to take.

I definitely want to follow you down the path on these two mods - I don't have a trike gear plane and I'm sick of our rough landing field causing noseovers on takeoff and taxi :)

TexMechsRobot

Posted a thousand or more times
I'm pretty impressed with 9 as well, and also that we could get so many people to agree on (mostly) one plane from (mostly) one kit manufacturer. :) Getting a good base of balsa builders up and running will make future build-alongs or even contests much easier and I could see this being a regular event.

Hey I agreed with the kit, I had just already purchased my Fall/Winter build project and couldn't afford both! :p

EDIT: This post may have sounded like I took your comment personally and got offended. Quite the opposite. Read my post in a way that doesn't assume I took offense :)

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
Hey I agreed with the kit, I had just already purchased my Fall/Winter build project and couldn't afford both! :p

EDIT: This post may have sounded like I took your comment personally and got offended. Quite the opposite. Read my post in a way that doesn't assume I took offense :)

No worries, I took it in the spirit it was meant. Having some other kits being made will always help with the overall goal of getting balsa some exposure. ;)

gregp

Make it 10

So i ordered a Sport EVA kit today. Also added yellow and black rolls (will it be a good color scheme - i'm terrible with colors).

Looking forward for my first balsa build.

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
So i ordered a Sport EVA kit today. Also added yellow and black rolls (will it be a good color scheme - i'm terrible with colors).

Sorry, we're not adding more builders to the list anymore.

Just kidding, welcome to the fun! :D You should be able to get some pretty good designs with yellow & black.

jsknockoff

Mentor

Welcome aboard, the color scheme will look great. I almost always use contrasting colors on sport planes.

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
TurboJoe, I've got you listed as doing an EVA 3D "modified" build, but do you want to do something for your ACE as part of the build-along as well? If so, I'll list you twice like I did for TexMechsRobot and his two EBM builds.

TexasWade

Hey there! I've built a few balsa planes before so I'm not really a newbie, but I'm interested in building along too. I would be interested in doing a Mustang with retracts, and it would be my first retract plane ever so there would be some new ground for me there. Also I'm not too savvy on the E-power stuff so I'm hoping for some input on motor choices. The MM website recommends a couple different geared setups, but I already have a motor/esc/lipo combo from a previous DTFB plane that is no longer with us.

Would my 3S/1400mAh lipo, 12A esc and this motor ---> FC 28-12 Brushless Outrunner 1534kv be suitable for the MM Mustang? Also I have some 1/2A mechanical retracts that I bought a while back which I think will work great, but I'd like to get servo recommendations for those.

If I can get all the details of the build nailed down, I'll place my order and you guys can count me in =)

Last edited:

Turbojoe

Elite member
TurboJoe, I've got you listed as doing an EVA 3D "modified" build, but do you want to do something for your ACE as part of the build-along as well? If so, I'll list you twice like I did for TexMechsRobot and his two EBM builds.

Lets change it to EVA Sport "modified". No way the 3D wings will work for twin. The sport is going to be hard enough. The Lucky Ace will be a later project so just the EVA for now. I'm trying to find something hopefully school related local that I can donate some planes to to make room for new ones. It's so hard to find something trustworthy though.

Looks like the build list is growing faster. Welcome to the new guys joining up!

Joe

Turbojoe

Elite member

I like yellow/black. My yellow/black EVA trike is in post #9. I was calling it the Bumble BeEVA. :D

Joe

earthsciteach

TexasWade - That motor with an APC 7x6 prop will pull the MM Mustang around decently, but you will need a 20 amp esc for that combo. That motor will draw about 16 amps (175 W) with that prop at full throttle. You could drop down to an APC 7x4 (155 W), but it will still draw 14 amps.

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
Hopefully we can say "welcome aboard"! I'd like to see you do the retract mod to the Mustang, I was looking at that kit this morning and thinking about doing it myself one of these days.

Last edited: