Balsa Forum Fall Build Along

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
I'd still check to make sure it shipped, just to be safe! Mine is supposed to arrive tomorrow and it'll be SOOOO tempting to get it out and started right away, as it could easily be done and ready to fly by the weekend if I burned the candle a few nights.

Last edited:

ranger351

Warbird Crazy!
Sounds like most of us will be getting our packages tomorrow! Bet we'll have a lot of unboxing pics posted tomorrow! I ordered my custom Twilight Tear decal kit from Callie Graphics today for the P-51! I'm getting really excited to start! I plan on starting a build thread and beginning to paint and detail the cock pit!

Turbojoe

Elite member
Sounds like most of us will be getting our packages tomorrow! Bet we'll have a lot of unboxing pics posted tomorrow! I ordered my custom Twilight Tear decal kit from Callie Graphics today for the P-51! I'm getting really excited to start! I plan on starting a build thread and beginning to paint and detail the cock pit!

Looking forward to your build. A buddy built an MM Mustang several years back and loved everything about it. The way it built and the way it flew. I'm simply not a warbird fan and that's the ONLY reason I don't have this bird. I did just pass up a kit offered to me last week. I'm so on the fence with this one. I'll probably be kicking myself again for passing up the deal........

Joe

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
Just because I live so close and he's worried I'll stop by unannounced to pick up my toys! :)

My build-thread is started, HERE. Can't wait to kick this off!

Turbojoe

Elite member
Can't ride the motorcycle to work tomorrow. Packages coming from Mountain Models, HeadsUpRC, Tower Hobbies and the MM Lucky Ace I scored on RC Groups. We have one of those huge community mailboxes that seems like 1/4 mile from my house. Can't stuff everything in the saddlebags so I'll have to drive the car tomorrow. I love riding the bike but it's snowbird season here in Arizona and the way those morons have been trying to run me over on the bike lately I guess it'll be nice to have a day of not dodging them and just trying to get home alive. :mad:

Joe

Turbojoe

Elite member
Better to have them by you instead of here clogging the roads with accidents once winter eventually hits.

Are they that bad up there too? Not to get on anyone's bad side but when I see a license plate from Minnesota I change lanes or turn onto another street immediately. 85 year old people from Minnesota that can barely see over the steering wheel should not be allowed to drive in ANY state! They are the worst! 4 times today I had to avoid getting run over. Unfortunately that's about normal this time of year though. One day they're gonna get me. :(

Joe

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
For the most part, those who stay here in winter either can handle driving in snow or have learned to stay off the roads until roads are cleaned off. Although I hate winter, I do love driving in snow, especially during heavy snowstorms. And once the snow starts falling building season will officially be under way here in the north. :(

Turbojoe

Elite member
USPS still sux.

USPS shines again! ALL FOUR orders showed scheduled to be delivered today but only two showed here based on tracking. Got home and found my HeadsUpRC order in the mailbox and the Tower hobbies order at the front door in plain view so a porch pirate could grab it and run. :mad: The EVA wing kit and the Lucky Ace still show "in transit". It's 4:45pm my time so that means there isn't a single USPS driver on the road and won't be until morning. That's OK. I'm not waiting for life saving medication. It does irritate me that they made no attempt to hide a 48" long box from prying eyes. They stood it up by the door rather than lay it down so it would be harder to see. Luckily this is a very low crime area but people from other areas love to hit areas like mine. Especially this time of year. Looks like I'd better not order anything that won't fit in my mailbox until after the holidays. :(

Joe

jsknockoff

Mentor
My order arrived yesterday. Very strange that I never got an order confirmation or shipping notification, but it's here so I'm happy. I didn't open the bags but everything appears to be top quality. So much so, that I guess now I'll be forced to buy a mustang and a P-38.

Now all I have to do is figure out a way to post pics using my iPhone, which has been very unsuccessful so far, lol.

Turbojoe

Elite member
My order arrived yesterday. Very strange that I never got an order confirmation or shipping notification, but it's here so I'm happy. I didn't open the bags but everything appears to be top quality. So much so, that I guess now I'll be forced to buy a mustang and a P-38.

Now all I have to do is figure out a way to post pics using my iPhone, which has been very unsuccessful so far, lol.

More and more I don't get any notification from anywhere I purchase. That's why I created an account on USPS.com. Then anytime a package is shipped to my address I get e-mail and text notification (you have to configure it for this but even I figured out how to do it). The dashboard function is really pretty cool. The best thing I've seen from USPS in many years.

I got notification that both orders shipped out of Wisconsin got to the Phoenix hub at 2:08 this morning. Must have been a problem with the airplane to delay it a full day. I'll have them today though.

Joe

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor

This is part of the reason I'm hoping Brian from MM is at least checking in on this forum. It's extra "work" to be involved with the online world and his time is probably very limited, but it also leads to extra business for him which funds everything else. I have no doubt that his EVA sales spiked over the last month and as people slowly find these build threads in the future it will help generate more interest in the entire MM line which leads to additional sales.

Posting pics from the iPhone can be done, but it's a bit of a pain due to screen size, and often because the pics are too large to be accepted by the forum size limitations. I usually e-mail pics from my phone to my Hotmail account, and just before sending I get the option to re-size the pictures. Choosing "large" for the size sends them in the perfect size for the forum to accept. Once the e-mail is received with the re-sized pics I can post from either my computer or phone. There is probably a MUCH easier method that I'm over-looking, but that's what I've been doing.

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
Nine people so far! You guys started a movement. This is great!

It's a pre-cursor to a mild ground-swell. :) But 9 people on a forum built on a foundation of DTFB is a good start! I'm still holding out hope that one day the mighty Bixler would join in on a balsa build. The exposure that would generate for the balsa community would be huge. He's done enough balsa building to make short work of a kit like the EVA we're doing.

OttoPilot

Kit arrived yesterday. I have a slight concern that I might need to re-consider my choice of motor since I noticed the EVA-3d instructions call for a motor capable of 150-250 watts (compared to the 150 max listed online for the EVA). The motor I have on hand is 150 watts max on 3s...not sure if I want to run 4s...although I do have plenty of 4s 1300mAh of mini-quad batteries.

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
I'm having the same questions running through my head. The Park 450 I was planning on 3S should be enough to fly it, but the 4S option gives me an extra 50-75 watts of power. My only downside is my lack of 4S packs the right size, with only one 1000mAh and one 1300mAh. The Bipe version of the EVA has a lot of extra drag with the extra wing, so more and more I'm just leaning towards going 4S and picking up a couple extra batteries for it.

Turbojoe

Elite member
I need to pop the cowl on my bipe and see what's in there. Whatever motor is in it has been there since it was built years ago. I know it's a Scorpion. It wasn't a rocket but it did everything I asked of it. I do remember vertical wasn't as good as the sport or 3D though. I'll try to check it out when I get home. I'll weigh it too. I didn't try to save any weight during the build so I know she's a pig.

Joe