Big FT Scout

JamesWhom

Project Air on YouTube
Small update:

I've done all but one of the control surfaces with the servos and control rods.

I haven't got any wire for the landing gear yet unfortunately, but when I do, the whole thing will be ready for flight.

After re stringing my guitar the other day, I had the idea of using some of the old strings as the wing bracing wires. :) Gonna put those on soon.

More soon!

Last edited:

JamesWhom

Project Air on YouTube
Unfortunately, owing to my return to University tomorrow, I will be unable to finish the Scout until at least Easter this year, when I return home.

A bit annoying really as I was really looking forward to flying it. But oh well. Thanks for everyones contributions so far and I will let you all know when it's done!

LooseBruce

Hi, I only fly small planes but this idea occurred to me. If it is scaled up 200% would it make sense to double the thickness of the wing. You could remove some of the paper and it would still be very rigid I would think.
LooseBruce

JamesWhom

Project Air on YouTube
Yeah, I added a dowel wing spar. It was a bit difficult due to the dihedral, but I think it will be fine. I've also ensured there are some vertical formers in the fuselage that connect with the wing surfaces at 90 degrees with as much surface as possible. I've held the fully loaded out plane by the wing tips and wobbled it a bit to see the extent of the 'wing flex' up and down, and it's minimal. It feels strong enough. :)

Cheers for the suggestions though!

In other news, I decided on a colour scheme.

1258920822_image_17.jpg

Attachments

• images.jpeg
    images.jpeg
    3.8 KB · Views: 382
Last edited:

JamesWhom

Project Air on YouTube
I got back from uni two days ago. Today I finished construction of the Big FT Scout. It is ready for action.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

I have even added guitar string bracing wires to give some sort of back up to the wings if they decide to fold.

Tell me your thoughts!

Last edited:

mesolost

Um.... Correct me if I'm wrong but can't you just take the full sized PDF down to kinkos or whatever and have them print it at 400% scale or whatever scale you desire?

Raptortech

Foam Addict
Um.... Correct me if I'm wrong but can't you just take the full sized PDF down to kinkos or whatever and have them print it at 400% scale or whatever scale you desire?

You certainly could, but then the tabbing and the A/B folds won't work well because the foamboard will still be the same thickness. Scaling up plans properly takes some time and thought.

Jan Chakk

I got back from uni two days ago. Today I finished construction of the Big FT Scout. It is ready for action.

I have even added guitar string bracing wires to give some sort of back up to the wings if they decide to fold.

Tell me your thoughts!

Hi,

Great build, would like to see the flight video when ready...

I am building a 115 % scout. would need some tips about how to build a strong landing gear. I see that you have built one, can i see some close ups of it.

JC.

JamesWhom

Project Air on YouTube
Hi,

Great build, would like to see the flight video when ready...

I am building a 115 % scout. would need some tips about how to build a strong landing gear. I see that you have built one, can i see some close ups of it.

JC.

Hi man, sorry about not replying sooner, didn't see this. I actually used plywood and BBQ sticks for mine as I didn't have any wire. I recommend just using fairly thick wire for yours though, the sort that you make your pushrods from, but maybe a bit thicker.

In other news, I haven't test flown the Big Scout yet, but I may be doing soon. I have been a bit busy with other projects.