C-47 from 13th Squadron

CrshNBrn

Elite member
The B1 and B2 formers help make up the nose cose, which slides off the front battery tray. "Not glue" means to the tray. Hopefully you can make out what I mean from the pictures.

Attachments

• 20201214_111807.jpg
    20201214_111807.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 20201214_111819.jpg
    20201214_111819.jpg
    642.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 20201214_111847.jpg
    20201214_111847.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0

CrshNBrn

Elite member
As for the gear, I recessed my wheels quite a bit to make mine more of a bellylander. The wheels rotate around some thick wire embedded into the wing, which is covered up by the foam wheel wells. If you want a wheels down look, you probably should go with some thicker piano wire.

Attachments

• 20201214_113334.jpg
    20201214_113334.jpg
    268.7 KB · Views: 0

CrshNBrn

Elite member
You might be able to fit a set of retracts in the wing. The spar is pretty thick above the wheel wells, but installation would be beyond my expertise.

CrshNBrn

Elite member
I did. Fortunately my work printer (shhhh!) can handle the larger sheets. You should still be good, though. What if you used the all-in-one plan and adjusted your printer to tile it? Adobe Acrobat will tile and put cut marks on oversized files to make them fit on regular sized paper using the Poster feature, found under the Print Tab See my screenshot. Be sure the size is set to 100% before you print. That should work.

Battery800

Elite member
I did. Fortunately my work printer (shhhh!) can handle the larger sheets. You should still be good, though. What if you used the all-in-one plan and adjusted your printer to tile it? Adobe Acrobat will tile and put cut marks on oversized files to make them fit on regular sized paper using the Poster feature, found under the Print Tab See my screenshot. Be sure the size is set to 100% before you print. That should work.
Time to use the office printer!

CrshNBrn

Elite member
I think it makes it easier to use the bigger sheets when you're cutting foam. Best of luck to you with your build!

This one is actually my second plane- I crashed the first D-Day Doll hard a couple weeks ago and immediately had to build a new one. I recycled all the electronics, so was only out the cost of the foamboard and decals. Unfortunately, I haven't quite figured out how to hand launch either the C-47 or the Mosquito smoothly yet- there is still a lot of violent acrobatics in the first 2 seconds that sometimes results in some unwanted ground contact. Maybe a build issue, incorrect CG, too much throttle, or throwing too hard? Who knows? It's going to take a little more sleuthing.

Anyway, I've added a couple mods to the New & Improved D-Day Doll, adding balsa reinforcement on the inside of the front fuselage skin (to support "the grip spot"), gluing a small dowel to round out the leading edge of the wing in between the engine cowlings (smoothed with lightweight spackling covered in servo tape), and a magnet on the nose section (don't think it will need it, though). I haven't had a chance to fly/crash New & Improved yet, so I can't speak to her handling characteristics from the weight gain.

The next task is to try and rig up some parachute drop system. That would be sweet.

Attachments

• 20201212_072322.jpg
    20201212_072322.jpg
    424.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 20201212_072330.jpg
    20201212_072330.jpg
    361.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 20201214_211818.jpg
    20201214_211818.jpg
    797.2 KB · Views: 0

CrshNBrn

Elite member
So the paper size I printed on was 11 X 17, and those were still tiled. The full size plan would undoubtedly be much larger.

CrshNBrn

Elite member
A smaller 850 3S. Its smaller for this plane, but all I've got. HOWEVER, D-Day Doll's maiden flight yesterday did not go well. She immediately rolled over on her back and did a fairly impressive loop 10 feet off the ground, and popped the wing off. Surprisingly, she only required a few hot glue stiches and looks just fine. I got lucky.

On every other plane I have, hand launching is a routine procedure after once or twice, but not with this bird. With the differential thrust, you'd think she would just leap out of your hand, but on both of the C-47's I've built now, its white knuckle every time. I haven't figured out the right combination of balance, throttle, throw, angle, etc. yet. Maybe the CG is out of whack. Who knows? But once she's up in the air, she's good. She just cruises around like the real version and is awesome to look at. Just a little scared now of that hand launch.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
A smaller 850 3S. Its smaller for this plane, but all I've got. HOWEVER, D-Day Doll's maiden flight yesterday did not go well. She immediately rolled over on her back and did a fairly impressive loop 10 feet off the ground, and popped the wing off. Surprisingly, she only required a few hot glue stiches and looks just fine. I got lucky.

On every other plane I have, hand launching is a routine procedure after once or twice, but not with this bird. With the differential thrust, you'd think she would just leap out of your hand, but on both of the C-47's I've built now, its white knuckle every time. I haven't figured out the right combination of balance, throttle, throw, angle, etc. yet. Maybe the CG is out of whack. Who knows? But once she's up in the air, she's good. She just cruises around like the real version and is awesome to look at. Just a little scared now of that hand launch.
The 850 seems like it would be a pretty good size to me. Unfortunately my 1000mah 3s died recently so I’ll be stuck with a 1500 2s.