C-47 from 13th Squadron

Battery800

Elite member
Here is the picture, you can see that the 21 inches lines up with everything but there is a gap. Should I tape it together with the gap?
D375F98A-34D9-45D5-AF6B-88067ED46587.jpeg

Last edited:

CrshNBrn

Elite member
Sorry for the slow reply- if you look on the far left side of your plan you'll see the 21" marking in blue font. I used a long ruler to move the ends of the line on the two papers to exactly 21"- the two sheets will be slightly separated before you tape them. If you do that, your wing should come out sized correctly.

danskis

Master member
@Battery800 ....I built the f6f. I first tried printing the11x17 plans but I ended up with lines not meeting on some of the parts. In the end I had the full size plans printed at the copy shop....no problems after that of course.

CrshNBrn

Elite member
I put together a little montage of some of my early flights with the C-47. Check out what happened at :25...a combination of my hand getting caught in my coat on launching (rather than the controller) and needing a little trim adjust on the differential thrust. It bashed in the nose pretty well but still flew afterwards. After a new nose and some tinkering with the "rudder" settings, D-Day Doll takes to the air much better.

CrshNBrn

Elite member
I tore the wing off yesterday in a nasty landing. Wah-wahhh... She had a nasty low speed stall habit of suddenly dropping that left wing hard and always liked to be landed fairly hot. I neglected to do that yesterday and she cartwheeled into the field from 6 feet up. I'll rebuild the wing and maybe the whole thing (this would make #3), because it is SUCH A FANTASTIC LOOKING PLANE.

However, I'd try and reduce tail weight as much as possible so as to avoid having to add extra dead weight in the nose. Also, those little drone propellers look cool and scale, but I don't think they are good for much at lower throttle. Finally, and most importantly, I'll try not to keep making the same pilot error over and over on landing. I'm sure lots of C-47s were lost in landing accidents, over the years, right?

Attachments

• 20210306_062322.jpg
    20210306_062322.jpg
    317.9 KB · Views: 0

usaserres

Hi Guys,

I'm actually building the C-47 right now. It is, as said earlier in this thread, a bit touch and go to figure out where everything goes. Got a bit of a problem when I glued the wing prior to adding the engine supports and mounts. I wish 13th Squadron would be a bit more generous in their build photos. Especially for the wheels and front of the plane. Anyways, I think I figured out mostly everything. I am actually adding electric retracts. I'll post pictures when I get there but here is where I am.

Attachments

• tempImageHwGeXp.png
    tempImageHwGeXp.png
    12.2 MB · Views: 0
  • tempImagebHxxpu.png
    tempImagebHxxpu.png
    13.9 MB · Views: 0
  • tempImageHL7kN1.png
    tempImageHL7kN1.png
    13.4 MB · Views: 0

Niez13

Elite member
Hi Guys,

I'm actually building the C-47 right now. It is, as said earlier in this thread, a bit touch and go to figure out where everything goes. Got a bit of a problem when I glued the wing prior to adding the engine supports and mounts. I wish 13th Squadron would be a bit more generous in their build photos. Especially for the wheels and front of the plane. Anyways, I think I figured out mostly everything. I am actually adding electric retracts. I'll post pictures when I get there but here is where I am.
Sorry for the low amount of build photos. The problem with photos is usually the way I'll build a plane the first time isn't the way I intend for the builder to build it. For example, I usually glue formers to the fuselage, then find the shape of the molded piece and wrap it around. However the way you'd build it would require you to glue the formers to the molded piece first, then slide it on the fuselage pieces. It all depends on the design. I've tried to design the newest models to not account for that but that's why build photos either have a lot, or a little. However, I will be more than happy to give you direct advice or answer questions about the C-47. :)

usaserres

I’ve advanced quite a lot yesterday. Only have the cowl and the fuselage cover to add. The wingspan is 1440mm. I’ve added the landing gear yesterday. Used the ones of the Hobbyking Lancaster that I had laying around. Fits and looks great. Can’t wait to finish it now. I’ll have to push the elevator and rudder servos back a bit because I can’t find long enough push rods. I prefer a rudder (old school). As for the battery, I’m even thinking 4S 2200mm.

Attachments

• 240C47BC-A302-470E-A9E0-4FEFDF54FBFA.jpeg
    240C47BC-A302-470E-A9E0-4FEFDF54FBFA.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 3D99DDA7-6E9D-4F9B-9E2B-F64D6163ADD0.jpeg
    3D99DDA7-6E9D-4F9B-9E2B-F64D6163ADD0.jpeg
  • 4B763F4B-5C86-4261-A817-9B3F64672E7C.jpeg
    4B763F4B-5C86-4261-A817-9B3F64672E7C.jpeg
  • 3058DBFC-90DB-4ADE-AA8F-D499FC23031D.jpeg
    3058DBFC-90DB-4ADE-AA8F-D499FC23031D.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 18F463FD-F47D-4991-9C76-DE792BD10AF4.jpeg
    18F463FD-F47D-4991-9C76-DE792BD10AF4.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 0D4F11D1-C1D8-42B5-A055-F5BFE4783B97.jpeg
    0D4F11D1-C1D8-42B5-A055-F5BFE4783B97.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0

Niez13

Elite member
I’ve advanced quite a lot yesterday. Only have the cowl and the fuselage cover to add. The wingspan is 1440mm. I’ve added the landing gear yesterday. Used the ones of the Hobbyking Lancaster that I had laying around. Fits and looks great. Can’t wait to finish it now. I’ll have to push the elevator and rudder servos back a bit because I can’t find long enough push rods. I prefer a rudder (old school). As for the battery, I’m even thinking 4S 2200mm.
Awesome! Looking pretty solid so far! It will be cool to see it with retractable landing gear. How do you plan to fit the 4s 2200mah? I just know there's not to much space up there in the nose lol?:LOL:

CrshNBrn

Elite member
Cool mod, usaserres. I'm going to rebuild mine (#3) and try and add a parachute drop function and your top door idea would give a ton of access to the fuselage. Thanks for the inspiration. I can't wait to see your finished plane!

Niez13

Elite member
Actually, It will fit around the wing level for CG purposes. And I designed a door on top of the fuselage.
That's awesome! That has more space than you'll ever need! Can't wait!

Also, just making sure... that one molded piece behind the large one that you made the hatch on is not glued on right? I think its upside down and didn't want you to glue it wrong.