DGA-6 aka Mister Mulligan Group Build

cyclone3350

Master member
Judging from what I have seen so far, it looks like it makes for a nice looking kit as well. I wish I had time to join the fun on this one. But I just spent two weeks sanding, priming, and painting all the metal parts for my Cub. I cannot believe how long this damn thing is taking me.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Ok Fire inspectors just rolled thru and everything is great. Smoke alarms work. Fire extinguisher is charged and hung in an appropriate place in the kitchen area. I cant remember when the last time my build bench was so clean and organized. Usually the workspace is the mat on the left and the right is piled high with materials. All that has kind of worked its way to the right to my catch all table. That's next on my to do list for sorting out. I want to make that my air brush corner as there is a window right there that I can vent a fan out so I don't dust the walls with over spray.

I even relocated the three inch quad I started building last November to the table so maybe that will motivate me more to finishing that up. I cant believe its been about 10 months since I have flown anything. I used to fly every day before all the F.A.A. crap went into over drive with stupidity and oppression.

IMG_20211025_094333_488.jpg

Anyways I will be starting the wing and or installing electronics today and tomorrow. Well at least that is my plan. Will have to poke @kilroy07 with the phone call I wanted to do a few days ago before the inspection thing came to be.

@mayan Hey mate did you do any dihedral on your main wing or is it a straight wing since it has flaps and ailerons? also have you by chance weighed your build as an all up or at least all up minus the battery so I got an idea how far off I am? As mine sits right now the complete fuselage including wheels, motor, and two battery straps is 412g. Need to add the servos ESC and receiver before I decide if I want to make a tray to build a cockpit in. I suppose I can do that and if its too heavy not put it in when I fly. It will have to be removable anyways so I can get to the battery.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Well the wing is done and in primer. gonna eat dinner then shoot the left over black paint from the landing gear for the wing pattern I want to do. Also tomorrow I will more then likely going to cut side windows in as well as the windscreen. TOP THAT!!!

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
I am about to post an update with more pictures of todays progress on my build thread so there is more to like there in about a half hour after writing up the post and adding more pictures.
Your build is looking amazing, you new making me itch to get started on mine! I am making myself finish my last project first, the ft stick, before starting this one, it’s hard to wait though…

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
@mayan and anyone else building this. I would maybe shorten the height of the wheel pants by a few mm as well as cut a slight upwards angle from where the axle is to the back side of the pants. Specially if you are going to launch and land on grass. I know my axles have dug into the foam from taking them on and off and the wheels sit deeper inside the pants then probably intended.

I will do the final fit tomorrow after the fresh paint from this afternoon is dry. I am going to fix the axle inside the pants to where half of the wheel rim between the axle and the tire is. I think that is about where the real planes are set. Then Ill see if they need to have that angle shaved off the back after the tail wheel is added so I know exactly how its final stance will be.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Wow came out stunning!

Are we going to be adding the wing struts or do the wings not need them? Also the more I look at this I think the Tail needs to be raised at least a cm. Just looking at it head on there is not much if any sticking up over the main wing profile for prop air to get to it. May even have to raise the motor mount to get the tip of the prop over the top more? Hard to say without you showing video or stating the symptoms in performance you are worried about.

mayan

Legendary member
Are we going to be adding the wing struts or do the wings not need them? Also the more I look at this I think the Tail needs to be raised at least a cm. Just looking at it head on there is not much if any sticking up over the main wing profile for prop air to get to it. May even have to raise the motor mount to get the tip of the prop over the top more? Hard to say without you showing video or stating the symptoms in performance you are worried about.
The wings struts are mainly for show they don’t hold down the wings. The wings are held down with rubber bands over bbq skewers. As for the video I’ll be honest haven’t been able to make one good enough to see anything about the flight experience :(. I’ll post what I have anyhow today so you’ll all be able to see.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
The wings struts are mainly for show they don’t hold down the wings. The wings are held down with rubber bands over bbq skewers. As for the video I’ll be honest haven’t been able to make one good enough to see anything about the flight experience :(. I’ll post what I have anyhow today so you’ll all be able to see.

Ok I will adapt something later for the struts that isn't a royal pain to work with at the field. I have a different way to hold wings down I saw someone else use. I modified it for my Edge and adapted for the DGA. Ill post pics n such tomorrow with the update now that all the electronics are installed and the radio is kind of set up for a maiden at some point.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Damn I love it your adding so much detail to the design

It kind of needed it. That's a lot of open real-estate to be blank on the side. It probably would not look as open had I made the side stripe I want on it before taking such a hard look at it but I think it did step the look up another level for sure. Its simple enough to do and easy enough to add into the plans as an option. My next post will be showing how I did it on the other side. Maybe it will teach a new method others can use in their various builds as well.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Well I got my first pieces prepared and then discovered that I’m all out of hot glue sticks. I’ll make a run to the store and stock up on a couple essentials and so I’ll be all set to make some progress this weekend.