dRonin - No longer just for the brave

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Hey LB.. will Dronin work on the new Gremlin Femto boards. I have had it with them idiots and the nightmare with the *flight stuff.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Hey LB.. will Dronin work on the new Gremlin Femto boards. I have had it with them idiots and the nightmare with the *flight stuff.

Jhitesma may know for sure, But it looks like the Femto is an EVO clone, which would make official support coming soon. You still will need to get the board to work with the correct DFU drivers to do the initial flash of dRonin. Between the two of us, we can help with the dRonin config once you get it flashed.

Cheers!
LitterBug

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
What LitterBug said. The Femto seems to use the evo target so it should work with the upcoming F3evo support in dRonin...it's one of the main reasons I want to pick one up. Well, confirming it works with dRonin and seeing if the accs are any less troublesome than this piko board has been. I'm ok flying acro only but I really wanted to teach my daughter to fly and she's not ready for acro yet even though I'd like to start her that way.

LitterBug is flying the preRelease evo support on at least one of his boards - but it looks like it should make it into the next release. Which is due soon...but will probably be a bit late :(

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Well I just spent from 11:30 last night straight thru to now (6:50 am) on my latest go round with it. I messed with the drivers deleted em,, reloaded then for the third time since I got my Gremlin now... As of five minutes ago I can conncet to it in betaflight, change settings save em, reload them etc.

When I try to go into dfu mode in betaflight to flash it windows makes the good sound, Devise manager reports it is in DFU mode. Betaflight sits there with the connection settings it has when nothing is plugged into it.

I start up DeFuse Demo and get right in no problem at all.

When I choose the firmware I want to flash in Beta flight it loads it off line I set the flash on connect and all that according to TJ's video and nothing.. If I press flash button at the bottom it tabs me down to instructions how to go about erasing the chip and starting over. THIS REALLY REALLY pisses me off because to follow those instructions it has to be in DFU mode.

Makes me want to kick someones head clean off their shoulders when I see stupid stuff like that.

So right now I am looking at a perfect Josh Bixlar frame Gremlin paper weight.

Last edited:

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Latest version of dRonin ("Neat") was released recently. Made it out to the field for ideal conditions last night with no wind. Perfect for getting autotunes and testing.

Major changes since last release: <---- download link
  • Core flight firmware improvements
  • "NeoTune" next generation cross-correlation based tune algorithm yields better results-- even in the presence of vibration and other anomalies.
  • Improved sensor filtering implemented in the Sensor module.
  • Improvements to attitude estimation performance in the presence of vibration.
  • Support 4WIF passthrough for ESC programming across 'MSP' protocol interface.
  • Improvements to realtime behavior and removal of jitter.
  • Mixer architecture changes improve performance and allow custom mixers that use "accessory" data across outputs (and lays the groundwork for future control improvements).
  • Several fixes made to telemetry/configuration protocol performance across flight and GCS.
Changes in supported targets
  • Support added for PikoBLX micro flight controller
  • Support added for Seriously Pro F3 EVO ("SPRF3E") and various clones (e.g. FrSky XSRF3E). Note that only the "EVO" SPRF3 variants are supported.
  • REMOVED SUPPORT FOR F1 FLIGHT CONTROLLERS (CC3D, NAZE). Use "Artifice" for these controllers.

Sample RAW video from my Strix AWK210 last night.

Cheers!
LitterBug

Last edited:

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Wow what a huge improvement over how smooth that is. I would tune Roll p a bit tighter but for an auto tune that is incredible. That will make a lot of people happy for sure.

You mentioned in the notes this will work on SPF3 clones? Wonder if that clone I got robbed on will use this now... Be cool to try and see what this stuff does and how well it flys. This new release stepped up the game for sure with the Dronin.

Oh yeah.. just read up again.. Is this confirmed to work on the FEMTO boards the Gremlins use yet?

Last edited:

LitterBug

Techno Nut
. Is this confirmed to work on the FEMTO boards the Gremlins use yet?

Don't know for sure since I never picked one up..... But what's one more build on the yet to be found table? I'll have to get back to you on this unless someone else knows.

Cheers!
LitterBug

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
I will take a poke at flashing the fake SPF3 evo I got in my Versa copter at some point as the last time I connected that clean flight was complaing I had to update anyway. Then Ill learn on that. By then I should know how it works and can swap the Gremlin over to it if that in fact is supported..

Thanks for the quick answer LB. That last flight you posted looked smooth and fun. Nice run.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Have my FT Gremlin kit ordered.... Will know soon how well the Femto and dRonin work together!

Cheers!
LitterBug

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Ok, The Femto board DOES work with dRonin and Sprf3e firmware, but there is a temporary hold on finishing up my Femto based Gremlin build. The Femto board does not have an onboard barometer so it throws a sensor error. If you disable the MAG, the board will get stuck in a boot loop. It does this with a genuine SPR F3 Evo board as well and I have opened a github issue to get this fixed. Will post back when the board is fully working with dRonin!

Cheers!
LitterBug

EDIT: OH WAIT! I see what I did there. Disabled the wrong sensor. It works FINE as long as you disable the baro and not the mag. Continuing build.

Last edited:

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
I wondered why you said you disabled the mag when having an issue with a missing baro :)

There's a new PR out too that should improve hangtime, it's still experimental as I believe only one person has flown it so far - but didn't report any issues with it. https://github.com/d-ronin/dRonin/pull/1929 Basically what it does is allow the FC to add more power than the configured limit for short periods of time. This is designed to address the issue some people had where hangtime wasn't effective when chopping throttle after aggressive moves. Will probably need more testing soon to see how effective it is, the first flight reports sounded like it made a difference but not a huge difference so should be an interesting one to see how it goes.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
I've been playing with hang time a bit more lately. Default of 7% was not enough for some of my builds. 15% seems to do fine. Did some extreme testing last night after punching out my Krieger 225mm and then falling back to earth. Maybe I should invert, and do a punch down! =-O I'm more concerned with the max time than the max % with my type of flying . I do some crazy hangs from altitude at times.... Paranoia makes me blip the throttle to prevent it from cutting out at the end of high dives.

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
I've been playing with hang time a bit more lately. Default of 7% was not enough for some of my builds. 15% seems to do fine. Did some extreme testing last night after punching out my Krieger 225mm and then falling back to earth. Maybe I should invert, and do a punch down! =-O I'm more concerned with the max time than the max % with my type of flying . I do some crazy hangs from altitude at times.... Paranoia makes me blip the throttle to prevent it from cutting out at the end of high dives.

Don't forget, the GUI has limits on the percentage and time - but they're just there as a safety factor to keep inexperienced users from blindly cranking everything to "11" and then getting upset when things go wrong. You can always go into the UAVO browser and increase them beyond those limits if you understand what you're doing.

Of course a tiny blip of the throttle also works.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
I've also thought about intentionally setting it short and letting it run out. Let it look all out of control, then pick it back up at the last second.... ;)

Lit

LitterBug

Techno Nut
I wondered why you said you disabled the mag when having an issue with a missing baro :)

The problem is, I have a problem... WAY too many builds going on at the same time. Lost track of which FC I was working with. LOL. Femto has Mag but no Baro, and I also have a Flip32 F3 Omnibus Nano with Baro but no Mag.... LOL!

Bought the F3 Omnibus thinking it was supported by dRonin, but it appears that only the F4 omnibus is supported. D'OH!

Cheers!
LitterBug

Last edited:

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Retiring Hellbender

30mm standoffs is a good start but may be short. Think the danaus came with 35mm standoffs. I'll check to see what is on my first build. Need to look at that before starting on the second build anyway so I can stock up on parts. It fits perfectly inside a typical large pizza box.... LOL!!! The owl can be done with 25mm but you need a pico camera or Runcam micro if you plan on mounting it between the plates. I've found these type frames do better in pusher orientation. The turbulence created by the props blowing on the motor arms seems to be a real hindrance. Maybe it would not be so bad in 5" form though... I would NOT isolate the plates from each other. Firmly tying them together greatly reduces frame flex and adds strength. The Danaus is a perfect example of this. The plates are pretty flimsy by themselves, but once they are tied together with the standoffs, it is actually quite a firm frame. Isolate the FC stack instead if needed.

HellbenderV1Final.jpg
This Hellbender frame has been through (hell) several iterations including it's current state as a Seppuku beta test platform. Originally had a RMRC DODO, then switched to a DTFc to run dronin last fall. Had some cracks in the frame from a tree strike and was going to rebuild it with a newer Hellbender V2 frame and BrainFPV RE1.
20161207_110437.jpg
Got sidetracked by the Seppuku beta and figured I couldn't really hurt it if the beta didn't go well and threw some cheap $5 used motors and ESCs on it for the test. Continued to beat the snot out of it and still haven't knocked that cracked arm off yet. Recently built a second Strix Awk210 with a Seppuku, and also have a Seppuku in the Krieger225. So this frame with the cheap weak motors is past it's prime and is going to be parted out and used for several dRonin based Planes. Plan on putting the Seppuku in a RMRC Surfer 1500 4 channel FPV plane with full GPS and telemetry. 2 ESCs and motors will eventually end up in a DTFc based VTOL Elevon wing with thrust differential for yaw.

Danaus #2 will be made from all the parts that were going to go into Hellbender V2. Edge Racing 2204 2300kv motors, 25A Spedix ESCs, BrainFPV mPB and RE1, etc.... Looking for some bigger spiders and other things to attach. Halloween is just around the corner....

Cheers!
LitterBug

Jugsy

I was really interested in Autotune 6+ months ago, but with how good Betaflight defaults are these days, I don't think there's enough reason for me to switch over... I'm just way too comfortable in BF now.

Sorry this sounds super negative, I'm wondering if there's any other magic I don't know about? Not sure how much you've spoken to Fujin, what where their reasons for switching?

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
I was really interested in Autotune 6+ months ago, but with how good Betaflight defaults are these days, I don't think there's enough reason for me to switch over... I'm just way too comfortable in BF now.

Sorry this sounds super negative, I'm wondering if there's any other magic I don't know about? Not sure how much you've spoken to Fujin, what where their reasons for switching?

I still find autotuned results to fly better than any defaults, and hate tuning manually since I end up constantly fiddling with the tune instead of flying.

Overall I also much prefer the way development on dRonin is handled and the firmware is architected. Regular planned releases and careful scrutiny of code is pretty important to me. The haphazard way betaflight is developed really doesn't sit well with me and too often things that shouldn't make it past a PR wind up making to the public due to the poorly structured releases.

dRonin also features a RTOS and far more structured and easy to follow code that leads to fewer mistakes when new things are added. There are still a number of ugly things in the BF code that are there because they were necessary on 8 bit arduino when MW was written and have never been fixed up because they aren't cool enough to focus on.

As for Fujin, I'd let him speak for himself. It wouldn't be fair to put words in his mouth.