Dx5e not binding to..... anything?

regred002

Dx5e not binding to..... anything? [FIXED]

Hi,

Preface:
I am working on a build of the Versa wing and I just got all of my electronics. Excited to try out the new receiver I got, I plugged it into a powered esc and my servos and I flicked on my transmitter, only to find that although it looks like the receiver finds the transmitter, the transmitter fails to find the receiver.

Transmitter:
Dx5e (Spektrum) 5-channel receiver (DSM2)

Receiver(s):
Lemon Rx DSM2
or
Orange Rx R620

If the extra gear is important to fixing this, I will provide any details required

Problem:
The transmitter will fail to bind with any receiver I throw at it.

What Happens
1. I plug in the bind plug
2. I turn on the transmitter in bind mode (with the panic switch held down)
3. the transmitter stops blinking and turns solid
4. I release the panic switch (to complete Tx side binding) a couple seconds after the Rx light turns solid
5. the Rx light stays solidly lit, but the Tx fails to bind, not having any control

I Tried:
-multiple receivers (Lemon Rx DSM2, and an Orange Rx R620)
-adding, removing motor from esc
-switching the orientation of the ESC plug into the transmitter
-scoured the manuals of each and researched to try to find a problem
-basically, I tried everything to get it to work

FIXED BY REVERSING SERVO PLUG, THE Y SPLITTER WAS PLACED INCORRECTLY FOR THIS SETUP

Last edited:

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
Do you have any BNF's to further verify this gripe? It sounds so strange to get a solid light on the rcvr but somehow not be bound. My experience with failed binding always has a flashing rcvr light.

When you say, "no control" what component(s) isn't responding?

Do you have another DSM2 or DSMX xmtr to try to bind? If you can bind a different xmtr but not your DX5e then that points to the DX5e otherwise it would likely be elsewhere. Even the little xmtr's that come with the RTF micro's should be able to bind to your Lemon and Orange rcvr's.

jamboree1

Have you tried to bind while the TX is at least 5 feet away from the RX? I have had a few failed binds because they were to close.

regred002

Do you have any BNF's to further verify this gripe? It sounds so strange to get a solid light on the rcvr but somehow not be bound. My experience with failed binding always has a flashing rcvr light.

I will try it again with my Apprentice, but it has always bound to that plane completely fine, and I agree that it is quite odd

When you say, "no control" what component(s) isn't responding?
Nothing works Rx side, the elevons don't turn and the motor doesn't spin.

Do you have another DSM2 or DSMX xmtr to try to bind? If you can bind a different xmtr but not your DX5e then that points to the DX5e otherwise it would likely be elsewhere. Even the little xmtr's that come with the RTF micro's should be able to bind to your Lemon and Orange rcvr's.

I do, but it is not in this state, and I'd rather not spend a bunch on a new transmitter if possible. I will try to get the other Tx to try it out.

*Correction* I do have a Small Champ transmitter if that would work.

Last edited:

regred002

Have you tried to bind while the TX is at least 5 feet away from the RX? I have had a few failed binds because they were to close.

I just tried that, but it seems thats not the problem. It might be where I'm trying to bind in my apartment, but I doubt it.

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
Double check you are plugging in your components to the rcvr's correctly. I'm not sure but I wonder if the connectors were plugged in upside down if you could still get binding voltage while lacking the control signal. I know servos won't work if I plug them in turned around but I've never tried binding with the ESC plug turned around. I also know my Lemon rcvr's physically wouldn't keep me from connecting them wrong.

regred002

Double check you are plugging in your components to the rcvr's correctly. I'm not sure but I wonder if the connectors were plugged in upside down if you could still get binding voltage while lacking the control signal. I know servos won't work if I plug them in turned around but I've never tried binding with the ESC plug turned around. I also know my Lemon rcvr's physically wouldn't keep me from connecting them wrong.

One page said that they had a binding problem that was fixed by flipping the ESC connector so I tried that both ways, neither seemed to work. I'll check that the Servo is in the right direction, b̶u̶t̶ ̶o̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶T̶r̶a̶n̶s̶m̶i̶t̶t̶e̶r̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶r̶e̶ ̶i̶s̶ ̶a̶ ̶w̶a̶y̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶t̶e̶l̶l̶ ̶i̶f̶ ̶i̶t̶ ̶b̶i̶n̶d̶s̶,̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶i̶t̶ ̶d̶o̶e̶s̶n̶'̶t̶ ̶s̶e̶e̶m̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶b̶i̶n̶d̶.̶ ̶T̶h̶e̶r̶e̶ ̶a̶r̶e̶ ̶f̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶l̶i̶g̶h̶t̶s̶ ̶o̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶F̶r̶o̶n̶t̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶D̶x̶5̶e̶,̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶i̶t̶ ̶i̶f̶ ̶b̶i̶n̶d̶s̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶p̶e̶r̶l̶y̶,̶ ̶o̶n̶l̶y̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶f̶o̶u̶r̶t̶h̶ ̶l̶i̶g̶h̶t̶ ̶w̶i̶l̶l̶ ̶b̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶t̶.̶ ̶E̶v̶e̶r̶y̶ ̶t̶i̶m̶e̶ ̶I̶ ̶t̶r̶y̶,̶ ̶i̶t̶ ̶g̶o̶e̶s̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶3̶r̶d̶ ̶l̶i̶g̶h̶t̶,̶ ̶s̶i̶g̶n̶a̶l̶l̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶a̶ ̶f̶a̶i̶l̶e̶d̶ ̶b̶i̶n̶d̶.̶

I will double check that my ESC is plugged in correctly and update this reply if it works.

Correction:
Upon further research the strikethrough section is not correct as the lights on the front signal transmitter battery life of the transmitter

Last edited:

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
Generally speaking, the TX won't show any feedback on whether the bind is successful or not. It's the RX that will display either a LED status on the bind or your controls will just work. The exception to this would be any telemetry capable system where the TX is not just send/output only, where it can receive a input signal. That's they they're referred to as transmitter vs receiver. The more fancy telemetry systems are technically transceivers (they can transmit and receive).

The ESC servo connector/wires are no different from your servos. There's a ground (black/brown), red (5V), and white/yellow (signal) wire. If you have any of them flipped, the RX will not be able to control that device, but the middle 5V power output line will still supply the power to the components (ESC, servo, etc).

Basically, with the RX pins, assuming they are all oriented in the same direction, all the white/yellow or black/brown wires should be lined up on the same side.

regred002

Thanks to all who helped me, it turns out the problem was that the servo Y-Splitter I had bought flipped the black and white wires when connected to the servo, making it non- functional when it looked like everything was right. :D YAY! Back to building.