F18 with twin EDF/BDF Options

whackflyer

Master member
Do you have a pic of the LG? Is it a trailing arm setup?
I don't have any pics, but it's set up much like the Pilatus Porter, except the main struts attach to the corners of the fuse instead of in the middle.
Österreich,_Zeltweg_(Flughafen_Hinterstoisser),_Pilatus_PC-6,_0086~2.JPG
Currently the shocks are not quite stiff enough even with 80 weight oil and the gear splays slightly when taxiing. It really soaks up the high alpha landings tho. Not a big deal my OCD just bothers me about it🤣overall it's a very fun STOL plane.

whackflyer

Master member
I don't have any pics, but it's set up much like the Pilatus Porter, except the main struts attach to the corners of the fuse instead of in the middle.
View attachment 153863 Currently the shocks are not quite stiff enough even with 80 weight oil and the gear splays slightly when taxiing. It really soaks up the high alpha landings tho. Not a big deal my OCD just bothers me about it🤣overall it's a very fun STOL plane.
This still pertains to a BDF F-18 right? 🤣😉

Mid7night

Jetman
Mentor
The BDF (current size) is based around the 22xx sized quadmotors and 4" diameter props. They are not as "powerful" as a 70mm EDF, but they are more EFFICIENT. A 4" BDF is about the size of a 100mm EDF, but runs on a 35A ESC, whereas a 100mm EDF is gonna need at least a 80-100A ESC. It's not designed to be an EDF "competitor", but rather an alternative.

I don't know the absolute thrust numbers, since it varies based on motor a prop combination. In some of my own testing I've gotten around ~2.3lbs of thrust installed. That was using FT Radial 2207-1750 motors on 6S with 4x4x4 props. Overstreet is experimenting with slightly larger 22xx motors, different Kv ratings and 4S as well as 6S, and he's getting some better results. The 'final' numbers will still vary, but when they release as a Power Pack I'm sure they'll have specs to go with it.