FDM Bandito - DTFB Conversion of the Viejo

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
The Maiden was not a success. Not a total failure either, but I have some big repairs to do.
It has a Mixed results and nothing I could fly. I put the battery where I thought it should be... and it did a tail-heavy backflip.
Then I moved the batter up.. and it flew ( but I forgot I set some reflex (4-5° or so.)
Then I moved battery back (replace the blade and set the elev. neutral. this time a day ending nose in...
The wing and rear section look Great still and I should get it back to flying shape.
1630297633798.png

Perhaps I should have used the CG calculator first. And made sure there was a Velcro Strip.
1630300696165.png

Michael9865

Elite member
The Maiden was not a success. Not a total failure either, but I have some big repairs to do.
It has a Mixed results and nothing I could fly. I put the battery where I thought it should be... and it did a tail-heavy backflip.
Then I moved the batter up.. and it flew ( but I forgot I set some reflex (4-5° or so.)
Then I moved battery back (replace the blade and set the elev. neutral. this time a day ending nose in...
The wing and rear section look Great still and I should get it back to flying shape.
View attachment 206233
Perhaps I should have used the CG calculator first. And made sure there was a Velcro Strip.
View attachment 206234

You will get this. I put your numbers, metric, into this flying wing calculator that I have had luck with in the past and your numbers look good. http://fwcg.3dzone.dk/?wing_span=88...type=0&sweep=177.8&cg_pos=15&show_mac_lines=0
When test gliding over tall grass you should be able to dial in the reflex needed.

FoamyDM

Thanks @Michael9865 I think I needed some encouragement. Esp after the tantrum I threw and the intense desire to just quit this whole hobby. Planes, fire sale, podcast, and all.

I also wonder if the thrust angle was tilted up a few degrees... I supposed I will be able to check as I rebuild.

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member
Thanks @Michael9865 I think I needed some encouragement. Esp after the tantrum I threw and the intense desire to just quit this whole hobby. Planes, fire sale, podcast, and all.

I also wonder if the thrust angle was tilted up a few degrees... I supposed I will be able to check as I rebuild.
if you dare leave this hobby i'll personally come after you and drag you back in;);).
seriously dude.. your planes are awesome... remember how Thomas Edison tried 10,000 times before he finally perfected the light bulb...
you've had soooo many successes, are you going to give up because of a couple of failure? keep at it man you WILL get it right. YOU ALWAYS DO.:cool:

danskis

Master member
That plane looks awsome as usual - great graphics/color scheme. CG is the most critical element of a flying wing - trust the CG calculator. Its also very hard to determine when you've got it just right because of the short moments. The plane will tend to see-saw when you've got the CG very close. Next comes reflex - you don't need a lot of reflex. I find if I set my motor angle at 0 degrees i.e. no downthrust, it helps with the maiden by pulling the nose up a little and keeping the plane from nosing in. I just went through this with my 4th versa wing.

I'm a big fan of bungee launching for maidens. You have a lot fewer rebuilds.

Michael9865

Elite member

Never quit, never surrender. Podcast?

FoamyDM

Hey Guys I really appreciate the encouragement and love from you guys. I am SO eager to see this beauty in the air.
@danskis - It is great advice, I plan to follow. (have some RhinoPlasty to give my Bandito) I will upload my short Vid. It may help to diagnose. what to fix.

Nice - Great Galaxy Quest Quote @Michael9865

@Matthewdupreez - :p:cool: On my Vids I get comments from My father in KY (a way he keeps in touch) half the time he just wonders at how I haven't just quit by now. I laugh and think. He must not know too many Engineers.

Last edited:

cyclone3350

Master member
Maiden flight.
Please forgive my behavior at the end. It was the 2nd failure and damage to plane I wanted to see in the air.

Oh Man, been there myself. Thanks for sharing, It tells us that not all of our ideas will always work out the first time. @ least not for me.

Phin G

Elite member
Oh Man, been there myself. Thanks for sharing, It tells us that not all of our ideas will always work out the first time. @ least not for me.
Been there too, launched incorrectly and broke 5/6 props. Also i keep on ripping the tail of the cub, i think 4 times, i can never get a successful flight with the plane coming back as an ikea flat-pack box. You will get this to fly, it is just trial and error, one time it will click and it will fly like a dream, just keep trying and it will get airborne! Good luck bro

FoamyDM

I suppose that is the point of sharing the failures. also to help diagnose what happened. (as you can see, it was close. I think if it were way off, I would have just brought it home. there was another flight after that were it flew janky for a second, got some height and then tip stalled and dumped in - hence the damage. I am fortunate my son did NOT get the string of frustrated explicative language on vid. sadly they still happened in front of him.
You will get this to fly, it is just trial and error, one time it will click and it will fly like a dream, just keep trying and it will get airborne! Good luck bro
Thanks.

cyclone3350

Master member
I suppose that is the point of sharing the failures. also to help diagnose what happened. (as you can see, it was close. I think if it were way off, I would have just brought it home. there was another flight after that were it flew janky for a second, got some height and then tip stalled and dumped in - hence the damage. I am fortunate my son did NOT get the string of frustrated explicative language on vid. sadly they still happened in front of him.
Thanks.

Been there. I build downstairs in the basement. When I run into a problem, like fabricating something using a method never tried, the profane use of the English language will flow like a Shakespearean play. My wife would always get on my case because it travels through the duct vents. One day I came upstairs and my little girl gave me a picture she made and said " Here daddy, don't be mad " that ended that. Occasionally I do forget.

Scotto

Elite member
As short as that plane is moving the battery just a 1/8 inch probly makes a big difference. It might even matter about where the cg is vertically? My biplanes are pretty forgiving on cg but I still manage to get it wrong with different size batteries and foeget to check it but a little change is still noticable. My next maien Im going to make myself just set the tx down and throw the plane around for 20 min. Hopefully save myself alot of repair time.
Ive noticed the better looking the plane, the more it hurts to hurt them.

Paracodespoder

Elite member
Well foamy, I haven’t done as much building as I should have as of the past year or so, but I think I’m going to give this a shot and see if I can’t get this working as you intended. I’ll let you know how it goes this week hopefully.
I hate to see such a talented community member as yourself down in the dumps like that, we don’t want to lose you 😉.

FoamyDM

As short as that plane is moving the battery just a 1/8 inch probly makes a big difference. It might even matter about where the cg is vertically? My biplanes are pretty forgiving on cg but I still manage to get it wrong with different size batteries and foeget to check it but a little change is still noticable. My next maien Im going to make myself just set the tx down and throw the plane around for 20 min. Hopefully save myself alot of repair time.
Ive noticed the better looking the plane, the more it hurts to hurt them.
Make sure it is in Tall Grass. I do that and end up needing repairs from the toss-around. Good luck on the Bi-plane.