FF2017 Int. Racers: Caudron C.460

Aviator08

Flagstaff,AZ
So what's the Super Solution's advantage over the Caudron other than speed, agility, and looks right now? :p

You got me there..... I can't think of anything. :D

I have to admit, I'm really looking forward to your next flight video. All the Golden Age racers are really cool and I love to see them in action.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Guess who had two very successful flights and even got some videos today? :cool:

Flew very well first flight with the adjustments - still needed some elevator down pressure but I think the new motor mount on the higher thrust line will solve that.

Roll and pitch authority is very solid with the longer ailerons and fixed elevator. Turns out the pitch problem was less about radio rates and more that the servo was tearing out of the fuselage :black_eyed:

On the second flight I started to get some wing flutter, which is probably because it's been crashed four times including an impressive cartwheel landing today when it caught a wing tip at the last moment and spun itself down the field quite a ways. :black_eyed:

Next up is to update the plans with everything I've learned so far and build one at the right scale for the competition. Also the extra 4" of wingspan on the next one will be nice with this beast of a motor.

Last edited:

Aviator08

Flagstaff,AZ
Guess who had two very successful flights and even got some videos today? :cool:

Flew very well first flight with the adjustments - still needed some elevator down pressure but I think the new motor mount on the higher thrust line will solve that.

Yea!!! Great Job!! You have a flying race plane!

wilmracer

I build things that fly (sometimes)
Mentor
Wish I could have joined you guys out there. Looks like a fun crowd. Congrats on getting her dialed in!

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Thanks everyone! I appreciate the kind words and support. Now I just need to get the plans adjusted, cut, and mostly assembled before December 1 so I can have a clear workbench for the EVA balsa build off. :)

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Almost complete with plans updates - a little behind schedule, but family issues came first for a couple weeks.

Back on track now - will have these updated and ready for a visit to the laser this weekend. :)

Plans-v10.png

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
I managed to get the plans arranged for 18x24 to fit the laser cutter I have access to, but due to scheduling challenges haven't been able to get down to cut it out yet. Will at least get the plans arranged for 20x30 DTFB and posted in the next day or two for the design challenge to meet the end of December goal. However it's likely to be into early 2017 before I get the final version built and maidened from the revised plans.

But, regardless of the timing (or scoring) I feel like this has been a great project and I have been very successful in learning a lot and challenging myself with this project. Getting my first good flight in with this plane is in my top 3 RC experiences this year, and that wouldn't have happened without this challenge and great group of friends. :)

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Visit to laser cutter - complete!

Skins sent to Staples for printing - complete!

But, when holding the laser cut horizontal stabilizer up to the skins, it is obviously not going to work...

2016-12-28 17.42.43.jpg

The skin files I sent were scaled incorrectly (original 34" wingspan, not the new 1/6 scale) so I need to get a new set printed up... my bad, but set back another day. But look how cool that tail and wing skin looks! Couldn't be happier with how this is shaping up!

At this rate, things aren't looking so good to have a full set of build instructions up by December 31st... but I can get the plans, skins, and a start on final instructions :)

Fidget

Looks awesome! Are you using the color engineering prints at Staples? I'm planning to send some in today. (Some insomnia is helping that cause.)

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Looks awesome! Are you using the color engineering prints at Staples? I'm planning to send some in today. (Some insomnia is helping that cause.)

Yep - color engineering prints at staples - about $12 per sheet at 36x48 sizes with in store pickup, $10ish shipping if you don't live near one.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
I does look great.

I bet you're going to cut a plane to fit the oops prints... right?

Ya know, I was thinking about it. :)

Or maybe just post the big and small plans and offer to ship the decals to anyone else crazy enough to take on the build...

Anyone interested?

Aviator08

Flagstaff,AZ
Visit to laser cutter - complete!

Skins sent to Staples for printing - complete!

But, when holding the laser cut horizontal stabilizer up to the skins, it is obviously not going to work...

View attachment 79269

The skin files I sent were scaled incorrectly (original 34" wingspan, not the new 1/6 scale) so I need to get a new set printed up... my bad, but set back another day. But look how cool that tail and wing skin looks! Couldn't be happier with how this is shaping up!

At this rate, things aren't looking so good to have a full set of build instructions up by December 31st... but I can get the plans, skins, and a start on final instructions :)

Looks Great!! It doesn't look like I will have the build instructions completed by December 31st either. Hopefully Willsonman will give us a couple more weeks to get the build instructions done. :)

Fidget

Yep - color engineering prints at staples - about $12 per sheet at 36x48 sizes with in store pickup, $10ish shipping if you don't live near one.

Thanks! I've used them for regular Flite Test plans, but not for full color graphics yet. Just placed my order. Somehow hoping to build version 2 in 2 days, when it took me 2 months to build the first.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Looks Great!! It doesn't look like I will have the build instructions completed by December 31st either. Hopefully Willsonman will give us a couple more weeks to get the build instructions done. :)

We can hold our own "Late to the Design Party Contest" and give out a wall calendars as prizes to help us all stay on track for the next one :)

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Let the Build Instructions Begin

OK, I have decals printed at the right scale this time (only one error, and I'll live with it rather than reprint).

I have the foam all laser cut.

So it's time to document the build!

First up - cut all the decals out. Peel paper off the outside of each foam board where there is a matching decal, spray 1/2 of decal with 3M Super 77 spray adhesive, stick it down as closely aligned as you can to the foam, then spray the other half of the decal and spread it down. Repeat until foam is all ready for assembly.

I'll start with the rudder for the assembly. Carefully cut out the rudder sections. Cut bevels around the edges that meet with air (not the parts that meet with the fuselage or horizontal stabilizer).

2016-12-29 21.47.58.jpg

Give it a good bevel from both sides so it will fold around nicely

2016-12-29 21.49.47.jpg

Cut out the rudder segments very carefully and admire the pretty details.

2016-12-29 21.55.45.jpg

Then place the bamboo skewer into its slot, use packing tape to hold the beveled stabilizer edges together, squirt in some white gorilla glue, and hold it flat with some weight for a while.

2016-12-29 22.07.00.jpg

Now finish taking the bevel around the front edge of the rudder where it's going to be hinged.

2016-12-29 22.00.09.jpg

For the purposes of the Design Off competition, consider the following statement to be the rest of the instructions.

Fold the parts up till it looks like a plane, glue it so it stays that shape, screw in a motor and some electronics and toss it in the air.

For those following along for education or entertainment purposes, next I'll get to the rudder hinging part, and then repeat the earlier bevel, fold, and glue steps for the horizontal stabilizer. But probably not until the new year. :)

Last edited: