Flite Fest 2015 Volunteers Area

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Oh, the wrath of the monkey is coming . . .

(He hasn't seen that pic yet has he?)

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
gremlin stickers... simple and cost effective. Might itch though, if under trousers. Also won't be able to see them, so can't wear pants.

STFDAC20

Hey team! I have never piloted at an event, or really participated in one. I am thinking of staying at a hotel for the entire weekend (40' fifth wheel camper may be overkill for one person and take a hell of a foot print), but Fred has me thinking tent for a couple days - even if I haven't roughed it like that for close to 8 yrs. I figured possibly volunteering may be a great way to get to know everyone and also contribute while learning!

I have worked special events for work which included executive protection, event security, emergency response, etc. I've also helped at other various events with work or the fire department that engages the public and/or visitors.

I am an active firefighter (assistant chief), hazmat tech, and EMT-B (Michigan license).

Look forward to the discussion and locking in my vacation time! :)

Oh and I am from Saginaw, MI!

bgfireguy92

I am an active firefighter (assistant chief), hazmat tech, and EMT-B (Michigan license).

Man the way its going Flite Fest is going to have its own Fire/EMS Dept. In fact I wonder if they would allow me to use the gremlin and make up our own shirts with the gremlin wearing a fire helmet and stuff as part of our volunteer wear? What do you think Flying Monkey.

And Im trying to find a pop up to rent so that I can camp out there instead of doing the hotel thing.

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
but Fred has me thinking tent for a couple days - even if I haven't roughed it like that for close to 8 yrs. I figured possibly volunteering may be a great way to get to know everyone and also contribute while learning!

Bring a big tent. Buy a decent air mattress and a way to pump it up. Also some sort of ground mat would be good. We might end up in the field south of the property, and it will be planted with (can't remember if it was winter wheat, or winter rye) stubbly plants. A cot is another good choice. You want to be up off the floor of the tent in case it rains, and some gets inside. Also, you want a tent big enough that nothing inside has to touch the walls of the tent. That's a great way to wick moisture in.

A "huge" tarp is never a bad thing. Especially one large enough to cover the entire tent in case the rain does try to seep through.

Forget hammer in stakes, they pull out too easy. I use twist in dog augers. They seem to work the best.

There's a pretty good chance that the volunteers will be allowed our own section. We can wall it off (with any trailers people might bring), and really relax in fun stupid ways without giving the FT guys a bad name... :D

Good things are in the works, and I want to make sure the volunteers get the treatment they deserve. Keep your suggestions and questions coming.

Fred

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
We're going to have a few specific jobs for folks to help with. Everything from registration, to parking, greeting, and flight line assistance.

Each department will be getting it's own thread, with the team leaders trying to coax, bribe and steal volunteers to help with their department. It's going to be like some sports team draft pick.

So volunteers, think what kinds of jobs you'd like to do, so you can best present yourselves to the different teams.

Watching the team bosses trying to recruit folks to their departments is probably going to be the most enjoyable part of this entire experience for me... muah ha ha ha ha

bgfireguy92

Watching the team bosses trying to recruit folks to their departments is probably going to be the most enjoyable part of this entire experience for me... muah ha ha ha ha

Sir I know we don't each yet except for reading stuff on the forums (I hope to change that with everyone at flite fest) but why does that not surprise me? I can just see you running your hands together greedily and in a deep creepy voice saying "Good. Good. Dance my puppets, dance" lol

As far as the dept to work in obviously do a first aid tent with crash next to crafty dans build tent so that way we can help with that when not needed.

And got a pop-up to bring so I kinda like the idea of our own area to camp together. I am thinking we should do a cookout on Wed night before flite fest officially starts for those of us able to get there early. Kind of a mixer for those of us volunteering to be able to get to know each other. Any takers?

Last edited:

bgfireguy92

Oh also is the shower trailer I was told was there last year going to be there again this year? My wife is kinda freaking out that we're camping with no water hookup.

earthsciteach

*************************** PLEASE READ ****************************

Registration volunteers will be provided with coffee via a coffee maker in the registration tent!.

You won't get that if you are parking cars or assisting in the build tent!!!