Flite Fest 2016 Volunteers

Andre

Fly yes... land no.
Admin
The schedule is still rather fluid with people emailing about event changes so I'm trying to accommodate all of that.

I am still looking for bodies to help with a lot of the important tasks so keep spreading the word.

Thanks.

BrendanD

I am interested in possibly volunteering, but I was curious as to what happens if there is an activity that you want to partake in during your volunteering shift. For me, the activity I wouldn't want to miss is the main combat sessions. Obviously there will be many of said sessions and I won't be able to make them all, be it I'd like to make as many as possible.

Andre

Fly yes... land no.
Admin
I am interested in possibly volunteering, but I was curious as to what happens if there is an activity that you want to partake in during your volunteering shift. For me, the activity I wouldn't want to miss is the main combat sessions. Obviously there will be many of said sessions and I won't be able to make them all, be it I'd like to make as many as possible.

You email me with those details and I make it work :)

kacknor

Build another!
I'm late to the party but here now. Didn't really think I was going to be able to make it, but it worked out. ;)

JD

AndyP57

OK, so here's my plan and I'd like anyone local to Canton to let me know if there's anywhere better to get what I need.

I fly in from UK, arriving at Canton Akron Airport late at night on Tuesday so I'm staying overnight at a nearby Holiday Inn before picking up a Rental car on Wednesday morning. Heading towards Furey Field on Wednesday, stopping off at Canton Walmart (4004 Tuscarawas St W) to pick up Tent, Mattress, Sleeping Bag, table, chair, cooking stuff and food / drink.

Next onward to Furey Field to set up by around 2pm. If I find I need anything else I can always drive out once I'm set up.

As soon as possible, I'd like to start a build of one (or more) of my own design aircraft, having brought just my Transmitter, a handful of cheap 9g servos and probably a couple of FrSky receivers. Anything else like LiPos and connectors I'm sure I can get from one or more of the On Site vendors.

Once the AMA set up I will buy whatever cover I need for the weekend (I already have worldwide insurance cover with the UK's BMFA but I'm pretty sure I need something else from AMA even if it's just Park Fly cover). Staying over and volunteering until the bitter end, (when does the field have to be vacated) and back to Holiday Inn before I fly back on the Tuesday afternoon.

If I've missed anything, let me know as I like to be as prepared as possible.

Andre

Fly yes... land no.
Admin
OK, so here's my plan and I'd like anyone local to Canton to let me know if there's anywhere better to get what I need.

I fly in from UK, arriving at Canton Akron Airport late at night on Tuesday so I'm staying overnight at a nearby Holiday Inn before picking up a Rental car on Wednesday morning. Heading towards Furey Field on Wednesday, stopping off at Canton Walmart (4004 Tuscarawas St W) to pick up Tent, Mattress, Sleeping Bag, table, chair, cooking stuff and food / drink.

Next onward to Furey Field to set up by around 2pm. If I find I need anything else I can always drive out once I'm set up.

As soon as possible, I'd like to start a build of one (or more) of my own design aircraft, having brought just my Transmitter, a handful of cheap 9g servos and probably a couple of FrSky receivers. Anything else like LiPos and connectors I'm sure I can get from one or more of the On Site vendors.

Once the AMA set up I will buy whatever cover I need for the weekend (I already have worldwide insurance cover with the UK's BMFA but I'm pretty sure I need something else from AMA even if it's just Park Fly cover). Staying over and volunteering until the bitter end, (when does the field have to be vacated) and back to Holiday Inn before I fly back on the Tuesday afternoon.

Hardcore. Love it.
I dont think you'll need the AMA since you have your UK membership.

I'm sure people will be more then happy to pass you battery connectors or charging station time.
If not SEE ME! We've got you covered.

Andre.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Andy,

Sounds like a decent plan.

I'm not sure what other offers you might get locally for Monday-Tuseday or how many miles you're willing to put on your rental, but Daton is about 3 hrs West, and has the National Museum of the US Air Force. You could slip down there Sunday night and easily spend all Monday there. You'll probably leave Tuesday Morning wishing you had more time.

Andre

Fly yes... land no.
Admin
Late June Volunteer Update

Good Friday morning everyone!

I figure by the weekend we will top the 160 mark for volunteers.
Yes that is a lot of support but as you can see from the pdf we are almost done filling in all the roles and positions.

There are still a few gaps but I'm optimistic we can sort all of that out well before Flite Fest.
If you see an extra time slot you'd like to fill in, please drop me a note.

Usually we pick up extra support during the event.
I plan to use them to pad positions or even better cut shifts times down.

You'll find attached the revised list. Fresh off the press!
It is a draft and nothing is set in stone but most of the roles are locked down and good to go.

That said I've been working hard to balance requests to ensure everyone has an opportunity to get to their build sessions or other flying events.

The weekend is about having fun and we are very appreciative for the help and support.
If you foresee an issue please send me an email and I'll see what I can do to shuffle things around.

Mark South you are the newest volunteer to register. HELLO and thanks.

Everyone have a fun and safe weekend.

Talk to you in July!

View attachment Flite Fest 2016 Volunteer June 24.pdf

kacknor

Build another!

Gotta love a good plan. Here is a plan B just in case.

[h=1]DICK'S Sporting Goods[/h]Belden Parke Crossings
[h=2]5544 N.W. Dressler Road
Canton, OH 44720 US
[/h]

Walmart has the better prices, but their selection is often minimal or out of stock. Dick's has inventory and selection.

JD

CRyan

Another option with walmart is the Site to store option. You can browse their selection and have it delivered to the store, ready for pickup. just make sure you are sending it to the correct store.

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
@andyp57, while I'm hopeful the rain stays away, I just want to warn you that every year of flitefest have included some rain. A new tent will not necessarily be seam-sealed against the elements, and there's just not a good way to apply that stuff and hope it cures in time. Another option might be to look at some outdoor focused stores, as others have recommended, to see if they have tent rentals that come pre-treated. Or if you're buying new, see if you can find tents that come pre-seam-sealed. Hopefully they exist. Hopefully, we won't need those! Definitely get either a pre-made ground sheet or cut up some garbage bags or tarps as sheets.

shermanhartman

Balsa Splinter Generator
Or (saying this as an eagle scout), just pick up a tarp big enough to cover the whole tent. If it rains, chuck it up over the tent. No problems.

Balu

Lurker
Staff member
Admin
I dont think you'll need the AMA since you have your UK membership.

Last year my world-wide insurance from a German model aircraft association was not accepted by the AMA, because they didn't have an agreement.

I would've been able fly in every club, on every field, in every park, but not at the AMA sanctioned event.

They didn't understand why that sounded stupid to me.

AndyP57

Great input folks. Yes, I do hope it doesn't rain but, living near Manchester, England, it's not a new experience for me to get soaked ;-) I'll pick up a tarp anyway and there's always the car if it gets too bad.
I've stuck a pin in Dick's Sporting Goods too and if I have to get AMA, then, so be it. Nothing is going to get in the way of my enjoying the event.
I even did a trial build of one of my own designs yesterday to check out my A4 reduced plans with dimensions. 4 Hours from picking up Three sheets of foamboard to having a ready built airframe will do me just fine.

AndyP57

OK, Another question. I'm wondering about how many paper dollars to take with me now so it would be useful to know, based on FF2015, what percentage of the vendors who are likely to be at FliteFest take credit/debit cards? (I'm not talking about the food vendors here, just the model guys)

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
With the market getting flooded with the cheap phone-based credit-card reader services, I'd say most. These services are dependent on cell access, but Andre mentioned he had AT&T service out there when he was over there last month, so it shouldn't be an issue. Perhaps not all vendors -- some of the more interesting nitch vendors may not, but the bigger vendors will.

That being said . . .

There's going to be a fair amount of individual sales there, some with ready-to-fly planes, Planes in need of TLC and some good-for-nothing-but-parts. Those sales will almost always be cash only. Could be a good way to pick up a cheap plane for the week, or used parts for something you're building. You wouldn't be the first guy to show up at one of these events with radio+cash, buy used airframes and enjoy flying the rest of the life out of 'em.