Flite Risk

Rcpro, that thing is sick!

Take10 pieces of 3' 40lb. test fishing line loosely tape it to the aft of your wing. In my head I call it a prop disrupter. Kinda like the cables that used to hang from durrigables over London in WWII....... I don't know if that's legal but......

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
I remember a mini bike cruising around last year and I was asked to let them know to not be riding it on Mr. Furys air strip by a senior volunteer as I was heading back to my tent in the area he had gone. I THINK I can remember something said about any motorized transportation being limited to golf carts on specific pathways due to damage already done by normal car / Rv traffic and the weather the first few days. I am not sure if that was a permanent thing or just a situational thing as that was my first Flite Fest.
I went and talked to the boy's father. He was understandable enough.

foamtest

Toothpick glider kid
On the topic of vehicles, is a very jank modified electric power wheels allowed for transportation purposes at FF?

rcbif

On the topic of vehicles, is a very jank modified electric power wheels allowed for transportation purposes at FF?

On the chance the weather is like last year, any "small personal transportation" devices will either be useless in the mud, or tear up the ground. Not worth the packing space unless you have some sort of disability IMHO. And as mentioned, it would be sorta annoying if everyone brought a pit-bike, scooter, atv, golf-cart, ect. Save the vehicle traffic for volunteers and organizers. The event is really not that big. At the most it's a 3min walk from a far camp-site to event center.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
We are WAAAYYYYY over normal on rain in Ohio this year. Chances are, this will not change any time soon. Bring kayaks, paddle boards, and canoes instead of wheeled vehicles!

Cheers!
LitterBug

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
I went and talked to the boy's father. He was understandable enough.

Not sure if it was the same people but the kid I spoke to was cool about it just like the guy flying a tiny whoop in the camp area. Once you explain why most people are cool with it and don't give any hassle.

The guy flying the whoop said he was doing no harm and I agreed. Then I asked him what happens when someone else sees him flying in camp and decides its OK to do or if someone else fires up a larger quad and starts flying around the tents or campers. Then he realized it probably was not the best thing to be doing and put his gear away and started working on a build.

Pigfarm1403

Builder
Yeah its been a rainy year in the midwest. It rained last year hard so don't get your hopes up for fantastic weather. Although free ponchos were suppplied! I turned mine into a parachute and made a parachute recovery system for my failsafe.

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
Not sure if it was the same people but the kid I spoke to was cool about it just like the guy flying a tiny whoop in the camp area. Once you explain why most people are cool with it and don't give any hassle.

The guy flying the whoop said he was doing no harm and I agreed. Then I asked him what happens when someone else sees him flying in camp and decides its OK to do or if someone else fires up a larger quad and starts flying around the tents or campers. Then he realized it probably was not the best thing to be doing and put his gear away and started working on a build.

Gentle reminders. :) Good job, man. :) Glad he wasn't confrontational and understanding.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Gentle reminders. :) Good job, man. :) Glad he wasn't confrontational and understanding.

Work door security at a Reggae bar when Shabba Ranks is doing a closed set.. you learn quickly how to deal with confrontational situations and keep them low key hehe. That way you are ready to handle the times where the guy gets out of a cab at closing time , runs full speed across the parking lot with a machete in his hand yelling "I keel you blotclot sissy boi" to the guy coming out who earlier whooped his butt after he got caught with the machete mans wife. That's when my dog and the two off duty policemen with Beretta's at the door with me come in handy as mediation devices.

We are not THAT extreme at FF I don't think hehe.

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
Work door security at a Reggae bar when Shabba Ranks is doing a closed set.. you learn quickly how to deal with confrontational situations and keep them low key hehe. That way you are ready to handle the times where the guy gets out of a cab at closing time , runs full speed across the parking lot with a machete in his hand yelling "I keel you blotclot sissy boi" to the guy coming out who earlier whooped his butt after he got caught with the machete mans wife. That's when my dog and the two off duty policemen with Beretta's at the door with me come in handy as mediation devices.

*looks around and prays there are no machete wielding crazies* Uhm...No...No, I don't think you need to be that extreme. LOL

That's the one thing with FliteTest people - I don't think any of us are inclined to be straight up rude, or confrontational, especially at something like FliteFest. It's about just having a good time.

About the only time I could see needing to call in "crowd control" would be if you had some completely rowdy people who decided to bring a kegger and do night flying, or in California (and because it's legal here) break out the "wacky tobaccy" and trip on the colors of the LEDs on a Versa Wing. Now that I've said that, I'll say something my mother always says to me when I try to think of every possibility in planning out events:

"Don't borrow trouble!"

So, for those going (I won't be able to get out there from California; I'll probably end up volunteering if we have a FFW again, though!), have fun, make planes, and if those planes crash, make memories. :)

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
From what I saw at Flite Fest last year the most drama would probably be around bed time for the kiddies and them being all wound up and reluctant to go to sleep. The absolute worst I have heard about after getting back from FFO last year was that local people known to be a problem around town had caused some issue and not sure if its related but a few occurrences of miss appropriated gear.

As time goes by and it continues to get bigger I am sure some of the not so worthy of our ways will creep in thru the cracks here and there. Still above 96% cool and interesting people attending as far as I can guess so for an event this size is very impressive for sure.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Biggest problem with whoops in the tent area is them firing up and stomping on people flying FPV on the line. I gave up on FPV last year because that was happening A TON. Heading for a gate and then "BAM!" Nice view inside a tent. Have some 1.3 and .9 gear this year to help minimize that. And yes, I am a HAM. :-D oink oink

Cheers!
LitterBug

foamtest

Toothpick glider kid

Does this mean I should take my machete off of my packing list? ;)

Flite Risk

My wife and I have a resolution this year it is, sleep outside one weekend a month every month of the year no matter the weather, we are 6 for 6 so far :-} july 21will make 7/7. 5 things that dont leave my car, 1000Lm flash light, hand saw, hatchet, machete and wool blanket....... maybe I should unpack the car before I pack for FF..........
I

Russtynailz

Does anyone have an extra MicroSD card I can borrow for the event? Anything at or more than 16gb?

I have a few. A 32gb a 64gb and a 128gb.
Pretty sure I can spare one. I will have my laptop as well so if you have a portable storage drive I can transfer the vids off for you too

Russtynailz

I have a few. A 32gb a 64gb and a 128gb.
Pretty sure I can spare one. I will have my laptop as well so if you have a portable storage drive I can transfer the vids off for you too

I lied, I have a 2gb, 2-64gb and a 128gb. I put them all in my GoPro kit with all my extra mounts and accessories so they will be with me if anyone needs a sticky mount too.

Liam B

I lied, I have a 2gb, 2-64gb and a 128gb. I put them all in my GoPro kit with all my extra mounts and accessories so they will be with me if anyone needs a sticky mount too.

Thank you! I lost mine and can’t get one before I leave for the airport.