Flite Test: Destination Location Comments, Questions, Ideas, Etc!

Balu

Lurker
Staff member
Admin
"Year one will be the building and renovation... community work days" - so are you thinking about getting together craftsmen from the community to help with the building and renovation? For some it might be a better option than putting money into crowdfunding?

I love the ideas of small cabins. I have seen something interesting here in Germany that uses standardized concrete drainage pipes for example: http://dasparkhotel.net/press/

Or perhaps old shipping containers?

flitetest

Administrator
Admin
Hey Balu,

We have not decided WHAT exactly those "work days" will look like or who will be involved, but we are just sorting through different ideas and options! ;)

Those "CABINS" are awesome! Very innovative and just a neat idea! Thanks for sharing and I cannot wait to give more info to the community about all of this stuff as we move forward!

Blessings everyone!

Stefan

AkimboGlueGuns

Biplane Guy
Mentor
What are the thoughts on the full scale runway? I'm assuming that it will be a grass strip, but how long will it be and how large of aircraft can it support. Also, will there be some full scale fly-ins the mimic Flite Fest?

bpw823

Junior Mastermind
I know this may not apply to all members of the community, as not all are those with desire for or have experience in design, but should there be a Maker Space, will there be community computers or "digital workstations" equipped with the proper software for airplane design? I feel it would only be fitting to include all stages of the process of creation, not just the build. A very vague suggestion without any regulation/complicated constructs, just an idea. :)

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
Another thought, how about a paved runway? Depending on the layout it could also be used as an access road for maintenance at other areas.

As Flite Fest 2017 showed, drainage is an important thing as well! :)

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Sign me up for the crowd funding opportunity here! I love the vision described on the podcast, and enthusiastically support it. :applause:

Just wish I lived closer to pitch in with the community work days and take advantage of the facilities a little easier. :)

Michael9865

Elite member
Congratulations!!

Would be awesome is part of the maker area could have a laser printer and 3D printer that you can "rent" time on. The 3D prints could be by the gram and laser by the minute or something like that. If not a laser maybe a needle printer or CNC router by the minute. Oo, and maybe a blue print size printer to print off plans on to save from cutting and taping plans together if people want to build from plans.

Josh Bixler

Josh,

Thanks for dropping in with the update!

Are you able to tell us the name of the course or general location?

Cheers!
LitterBug

As soon as the Purchase agreement is signed, We are going to release a full video on the location and all the details. :)

We are 95% there on that.

So excited friend!

Josh Bixler

What are the thoughts on the full scale runway? I'm assuming that it will be a grass strip, but how long will it be and how large of aircraft can it support. Also, will there be some full scale fly-ins the mimic Flite Fest?

The goal will be yes on both. The current planned spot for the FS runway would be 2600 ft. The goal would be to use it as a main line for RC events along with other flying fields on the land. For GA activity, the goal would be to theme the event to aircraft that can safely operate from that size runway. :) I would love to see regular young eagle rides and vintage aircraft being a regular site. We can't forget the PPG too!

Josh Bixler

I know this may not apply to all members of the community, as not all are those with desire for or have experience in design, but should there be a Maker Space, will there be community computers or "digital workstations" equipped with the proper software for airplane design? I feel it would only be fitting to include all stages of the process of creation, not just the build. A very vague suggestion without any regulation/complicated constructs, just an idea. :)

100% there with you! listen to the podcast and you will here my vision on a maker space in the hobbyshop. Goal is to not only build, but create and design. Also, hold skill workshops for both kids and adults. Hobbyshop in the middle, maker on one side, build room on the other.

Love it brother!
JB

Josh Bixler

Congratulations!!

Would be awesome is part of the maker area could have a laser printer and 3D printer that you can "rent" time on. The 3D prints could be by the gram and laser by the minute or something like that. If not a laser maybe a needle printer or CNC router by the minute. Oo, and maybe a blue print size printer to print off plans on to save from cutting and taping plans together if people want to build from plans.

For the maker space, the goal will be to work with companies to get amazing equipment. Laser cutters, 3d printers, router tables and wood working equipment. It would be run as a classic maker space and revenue would help offset free workshops and skills classes.

Companies would be encouraged to feature the best and most relevant equipment as it will be on a lot of FT episodes. :)

AkimboGlueGuns

Biplane Guy
Mentor
The goal will be yes on both. The current planned spot for the FS runway would be 2600 ft. The goal would be to use it as a main line for RC events along with other flying fields on the land. For GA activity, the goal would be to theme the event to aircraft that can safely operate from that size runway. I would love to see regular young eagle rides and vintage aircraft being a regular site. We can't forget the PPG too!

Excellent! I have to find a way to pack sufficient camping supplies into a Cessna 152 ;P

JUSS10

I like Biplanes
First off I can't express how awesome this sounds. I have started a small group of guys at work on flying foam planes when I saw one of your videos a few years ago. We run an R&D shop in our company with 3D printers, CNC, laser cutter and other tools. Its been a fun "after work" activity to laser cut some planes to build and fly in the field out back. If you ever need help from a technical/equipment end I would love to help in any capacity possible.

The idea of being able to load up a group of guys from work and their families and drive down for a weekend that works best for us is just awesome. Could be a really cool work outing with friends to bring others in to the hobby.

I also would love the idea of a community weekend to come out and help with things. There are so many people with specific skills that could pile in to this.

Also looking forward to a crowd funding option once that opens up. I really feel the community here would pile in and amaze with the support.

Honestly though Josh, I can't thank you enough with how awesome this all is and everything you and your family and friends have done for the hobby. I get beyond excited when I hear about stuff like this and see how passionate you are about making a difference in the community. And as a follower of Christ and seeing how you lean in to your faith and trust in God and his plan is just amazing. So cool how you keep this centered the way you do especially with what FT has grown in to. Just needed to say that!

Hopefully I'll actually get to meet and fly with you or the FT crew someday with this destination location.

God Bless Brother!

Justin

DKchris

In stead of congratulating you just yet, I'll just cross all my fingers, toes and what else I can think of for you getting through to your new project in the best possible way. If it works out (It better!!:) You guys deserve to get to have the maximum payoff of your hard labor) it'll literally be a Grade A++++ example to the entire world of where the future of our hobby could (and in my opinion ought to) go. I am so impressed with the energy and determination you guys put in to the entire Flitetest Experience and bringing it to the world.....cuz that's what it is you're doing!!

Oh, suggestions! Looks like most of the suggestions I might have considered has already been covered quite well......so I'll just suggest this:
1) As CraftyDan notes, Glider golf has got to go in your standard "package" with such a site. Make sure to always have a stack of your different simple 2 channel gliders flight ready on site while you are doing building, community work days etc. These likely will be the very simplest, cheapest and easiest to repair airframes buildable. With a suitable reciever pack they'll fly for most of a day on a single charge; And pretty much anyone can go fly them with a minimum of instruction. A great relaxing agent for you, building workers, visitors, kids.....and anyone else around when you have breaks or are lighting up the grill at the end of the day.

By the way. they'll also be great for a neat little thing we call "match racing" around here: Fold any suitable standard Histart bungee rubber in the middle and anchor that point down about 75-100m/yd upwind, add 50-75m/yd of line to either end, a suitable ring or hook, and a Hi start shute (or a couple of meters of security marking tape or something similar to be able to easily find the end in the grass). Make sure both are fairly alike. Figure out a suitable start line downwind based on the pull of the 2 bungees when stretched.
Assign a model to go with each bungee(should also be same type and fairly alike, and could be any kind - this works really well with flying wings, we often use EPP combat wings. You just use the Histart as a bungee start: Hook near the model nose, go fast horisontally, then pull up to unhook and climb).
Then mark a landing spot with a bucket lid or the alike. Competition goes like this: 2 go up at the same time, 1 point is awarded to last pilot down, 1 point to the one who lands closest to the mark. Then they swap lines and models and repeat to eliminate any differences in the 2 bungee/model sets. If they even out on points they keep swapping until a round winner is found. And then its just a simple elimination tournament. We've done this many times with a varied mix of anyone from fullblown semipro 3D/pattern pilots to absolute beginner kids(the latter usually get a random helper/instructor, who often also throws the model for them)........and the outcome often surprices! Anyway, its an absolute hoot, is fast to set up, when you just pair everyone up by cooincidence before each round and let keeping score be based on the confidence in fair play principle.......and its great for spectaters as well, as everything happens in a fairly confined airspace.

2) As Balu notes: Once you have it all up and running and have ironed out all the different issues of the concept..........we sooooooo need a European "Franchise" :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

Last edited:

Mid7night

Jetman
Mentor
So many great suggestions so far I echo, so I'll just detail one new idea I have:

For people travelling far with limited space or resources...
BATTERY RENTAL

Basic policy idea: Small rental fee, a fraction of the battery's actual price - this covers the cost of maintaining the Swap Station. If you do permanent damage to the battery, the rental fee goes toward the cost of the battery and you owe the rest. You Pop It, You Buy It.

Obviously, having charging stations for people with their own batteries is a no-brainer, but that takes time and assumes people didn't forget anything, or had room to bring everything they wanted/needed.

With a battery rental/swap station, you could manage the charging of the rental batteries "behind the counter", and people can keep flying without waiting. Rent a fully charged battery, fly it, bring it back in good condition and swap it out for a fresh one...keep flying!

I'm not saying it's a fool-proof plan that's 100% worked out right there, but I think it's at least an idea or model worth looking at.

Mid7night

Jetman
Mentor
I saw someone half-jokingly mention building up a dirt pile for sloping, and I just want to say YES PLEASE NO JOKING!

With even a 10-15mph wind blowing on a 20-40ft hill is enough to slope light gliders on. I've seen experienced pilots slope on much MUCH less, but at least a 20ft hill would ensure beginners could fly too. It would be a great place to teach the basics of slope-soaring in a safe, controlled environment.

bitogre

I saw someone half-jokingly mention building up a dirt pile for sloping, and I just want to say YES PLEASE NO JOKING!

With even a 10-15mph wind blowing on a 20-40ft hill is enough to slope light gliders on. I've seen experienced pilots slope on much MUCH less, but at least a 20ft hill would ensure beginners could fly too. It would be a great place to teach the basics of slope-soaring in a safe, controlled environment.

I do not think that "building up a dirt pile" will actually be needed. Given the size and number of hills in Ohio (and based on topological maps for what I suspect might be the site), I think there are already suitable hills to use for slope soaring though trees may need to be removed to make the selected hill ideal for slope soaring.