Flite Test: Destination Location Comments, Questions, Ideas, Etc!

Mid7night

Jetman
Mentor
I do not think that "building up a dirt pile" will actually be needed. Given the size and number of hills in Ohio (and based on topological maps for what I suspect might be the site), I think there are already suitable hills to use for slope soaring though trees may need to be removed to make the selected hill ideal for slope soaring.

I'm all for that!

My echo comment was more directed at "some place to slope", and not so much on the specific "pile up the dirt" part. I know next to nothing about the local areas, but if there are already hills, all the better - but they also need to be facing the prevailing winds, otherwise it's just a hill.

flitetest

Administrator
Admin
I have to say... I really love seeing all of these nifty/innovative ideas that are coming from the community! One of the best things about this thread is the fact that people are thinking outside the box and that, in my opinion, is what spurs US here at FT on to rethink, reimagine, and really hone in on WHAT we want it all to look like as we move forward! ;) NOW, I know we cannot do anything and everything we hope and dream for RIGHT off the bat, but it is a process and I believe that this MOVEMENT(the FLITE TEST community) can make these dreams a reality if we all come together and make strides towards the common goal of PUSHING this hobby forward to any and everyone who WANTS to be in it!!

Thanks so much for all the inputs! KEEP EM COMIN! LETS DO THIS!! ;)

Blessings,
Stefan

DKchris

I've seen experienced pilots slope on much MUCH less, but at least a 20ft hill would ensure beginners could fly too. It would be a great place to teach the basics of slope-soaring in a safe, controlled environment.

A slope is actually a great place to teach pretty much ANY kind of basic fixed wing flying. Nearly "free" flight for hours on end with no or little need for charging, and you almost automatically learn and "muscle-memory" store basic things like how to keep you angle of attack in a reasonable range to avoid stall, administering inertia vs. drag of a given model etc. Light wind sloping is almost as great as indoor flying in teaching you how to use your rudder, etc. And it all goes on right in front of you, so easy to see what the model is doing.

And yes, given the right kind of plane, suitable winds and a pilot who's up for the challenge, one can pretty much slope a tall speed bump......

And with low winds, a hillside facing the sun can often also provide a quite nice amount of thermal lift........

Last edited:

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
A simulator section/pavilion would be nice. If the idea is to give people success building and flying, let them try out their plane in a sim before flying the thing they just built. While some of the veterans of the hobby may skip this, I imagine it could be a confidence booster for the new pilots.

DEFINITELY. I can see them doing something similar to what they had at the Dream Big event, with Liftoff, RealFlight/Aerofly RC (not sure what the most popular RC sim is for fixed wing, so I'm just throwing out some names that I have heard of), and even a full size sim to simulate something like a Cessna full scale trainer for those looking to earn their pilot's license? Only negative I could see with that would be maintaining the computers to run it all, but that's not THAT hard...It would be an awesome thing to have.

I know this is probably stupid to mention, but solar panels for charging stations at the field and maybe a loaner tool area for those who need a 5mm driver or crescent wrench or needle nose pliers? I know at my field, there's always people willing to lend tools or help, but sometimes, you just forget that ONE tool you need to remove a prop, or bend your pushrod wire for alignment? Little things that some people and some sites take for granted, but don't necessarily think of...

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
A place for pylon racing.

A late night dB absorbing flight area where the night owls can buzz all night long and the rest of the place can still sleep.

Plenty of natural obstacles (bridges, fountains, towers, trees. Speaking of a tower, a tall protected tower could be cool for spectators to be right in the flying.

Learning centers equipped with simulators, multiple STEM areas for grade levels and projects, and a museum.

A well stocked FT store of course. Maybe also a place for some guest vendors. Picnic areas.

Battle zones.

Maps to find it all.

Balu

Lurker
Staff member
Admin
One thing that I find really important is to allow people to discover the place on their own. Which means: Lot's of signs, explaining the location, each area, style of flying/aircraft etc. in a friendly way. This could also include "rules" for pilots and spectators, etc.

I love makerspaces, etc. that "explain" their machines on little signs and who I'd have to go ask to be able to use them for example. You could have a sign explaining multirotor racing, have a "guest view" monitor and explain what they see or how to switch channels, explain the different simulators, where to get them and what hardware you need if you want to set up one yourself and so on.

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0...es_of_a_makerspace_2048x2048.png?v=1493839745

An apology to Mid7night...

I saw someone half-jokingly mention building up a dirt pile for sloping, and I just want to say YES PLEASE NO JOKING!

With even a 10-15mph wind blowing on a 20-40ft hill is enough to slope light gliders on. I've seen experienced pilots slope on much MUCH less, but at least a 20ft hill would ensure beginners could fly too. It would be a great place to teach the basics of slope-soaring in a safe, controlled environment.

I was not joking... this was just some idea that popped up in my head, just like some other posts. I am sorry if I had offended you. Sometimes, I can say something and I really don't know that it can offend some people. I never really knew that that could work (i'm kinda new to gliders, and I only know a basic knowledge of thermal soaring). This dirt pile I had imagined would be probably 5-10 feet taller than the one at FTHQ, and judging by the size of Alex climbing up the mound to get a boomerang, this so it would still be a pretty good sized pile of dirt. When I was writing that post, I was thinking of the video Flite Test did on the FT Sparrows, when they flew them around that hill. With a hill like that, people could climb to the top and can use it as a place for races, long range FPV, FPV quad/wing racing, and even rc buggy rock climbing, all while being a great vantage point to take pictures and see all the radio-controlled shenanigans going on in the distance. My vision of that mound was for it to be at least large enough to generate a thermal and to still be able to be a multipurpose area where people could have fun. Yes, it sounds pretty ambitious, but compared to the other posts talking about indoor rc boating ponds, a museum, cabins, and even a giant underground pipeline that pumps air for a flappy dude takeover at the destination location, it sounds like this idea would be perfect in that range of concepts. When you talked about using a 20 ft hill in 10-15 mph winds, I am completely fine with that. I respect it and all the other ideas that people have generated. And yes, I should have put more thought into it and mentioned thermal soaring. I hope you understand this apology post and I hope you reply back. :)

Mid7night

Jetman
Mentor
I was not joking... this was just some idea that popped up in my head, just like some other posts. I am sorry if I had offended you. Sometimes, I can say something and I really don't know that it can offend some people. I never really knew that that could work (i'm kinda new to gliders, and I only know a basic knowledge of thermal soaring). This dirt pile I had imagined would be probably 5-10 feet taller than the one at FTHQ, and judging by the size of Alex climbing up the mound to get a boomerang, this so it would still be a pretty good sized pile of dirt. When I was writing that post, I was thinking of the video Flite Test did on the FT Sparrows, when they flew them around that hill. With a hill like that, people could climb to the top and can use it as a place for races, long range FPV, FPV quad/wing racing, and even rc buggy rock climbing, all while being a great vantage point to take pictures and see all the radio-controlled shenanigans going on in the distance. My vision of that mound was for it to be at least large enough to generate a thermal and to still be able to be a multipurpose area where people could have fun. Yes, it sounds pretty ambitious, but compared to the other posts talking about indoor rc boating ponds, a museum, cabins, and even a giant underground pipeline that pumps air for a flappy dude takeover at the destination location, it sounds like this idea would be perfect in that range of concepts. When you talked about using a 20 ft hill in 10-15 mph winds, I am completely fine with that. I respect it and all the other ideas that people have generated. And yes, I should have put more thought into it and mentioned thermal soaring. I hope you understand this apology post and I hope you reply back. :)

Oh dude, no apology necessary! I was only wanting to emphasize my desire to make it clear that I wasn't joking either! I didn't think you were joking at all. I starting on sloping, and it's still my first RC-love.

Josh Bixler

I feel like you guys are reading my mind and heart! Or maybe we are all crazy together.:) I can't thank all of you enough for your input and thoughts. all of these things may not happen overnight, but there is room to make it happen. Still working with the bank and things are going forward. We will launch a full vidoe update the moment the purchase agreement is signed. Amazing things are in the future and you all have blessed me in ways I can't describe. Please keep the ideas flowing and I will update as much as possible.

JB

tgozilla

Group Camping Site for Boy Scout Troops and other youth groups. Would make great for camping and flying weekend trip. Could offer weekend Aviation Merit Badge class.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
If making a large mount or hill for the slope soarers takes too much real estate you could always build a tower structure with a spiral ramp around it or an elevator system.

A tower would also be something different to run into other than the standard trees!

have fun!

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
A place for pylon racing.

A late night dB absorbing flight area where the night owls can buzz all night long and the rest of the place can still sleep.

Plenty of natural obstacles (bridges, fountains, towers, trees. Speaking of a tower, a tall protected tower could be cool for spectators to be right in the flying.

Learning centers equipped with simulators, multiple STEM areas for grade levels and projects, and a museum.

A well stocked FT store of course. Maybe also a place for some guest vendors. Picnic areas.

Battle zones.

Maps to find it all.

Jim, I like the night flying idea, but it might have to be limited to electrics. Gas fliers, much as I like them, can sound like a weedwhacker at 30 paces! LOL

Balu mentioned a makerspace, which is definitely a good idea; even if it's not IMMEDIATELY related to FT or flight, there are definitely ways to utilize some new ideas to work with it. I recently mocked up control horns in my 3D printer because I couldn't find 1/16" plywood, and I've been using my printer to design various parts for planes and my drones that I wouldn't have been able to buy otherwise because nobody sells the parts I need!

Sometimes, it takes a need and showing someone a different path to get what they need done to inspire them, and I think the makerspaces are PERFECT for that.

Which reminds me, if it hasn't already been mentioned - a build tent/build area for you to put together a plane, either from a speedbuild kit or scratch would be great!

JGplanes

Idea - Simulator cockpits

Josh, Couldn't help but laugh and cry when listening to the podcast on the way to work. I was a mess by the time I got there. One of my dreams has always been a ministry retreat, very similar to what you are going for. I've been passionate about aviation my entire life, and I never thought of putting the two together; but that seems like exactly what you have been thinking. God bless you in your endeavor. You've all been a huge blessing to me and my family, more than words can ever express... Thank you.

Now for my idea... simulator cockpits. My passion for aviation took the form of flight simulators (didn't have foamboard). Growing up in the tech bubble, and since my parents were against me joining the air force, I decided the next best thing to flying a real F-16 was a simulator. I've flown flight simulators since the original Microsoft Flight Sim on a IBM PS1 with only a keyboard. Well, things have changed a bit, and now you can get some pretty good fidelity simulators on the cheap. Soooo... I think you should have some simulator cockpits scattered around the new campus for when it's rainy days, or as a good training tool for the transition to full scale. They don't have to be anything special, but kids of all ages love to try their hand at it. I should know, I have seven. You could make some really cool cockpit shells too. I built this one out of mostly scrap wood. Total cost was around $150+ PC and controls. The Kalamazoo Air Zoo has a really cool setup with all their simulators on a mock carrier deck background. Flight simulators in virtual reality is also really cool, and is getting very close to the real thing. Maybe someone has a lead on motion simulators? Ok, now I'm dreaming!

Oh, and an aviation themed snack shop/cafe sounds awesome!

Thanks again, FT Brothers. I can't wait to visit/help with the FT playground :p

JG

flitetest

Administrator
Admin
Josh, Couldn't help but laugh and cry when listening to the podcast on the way to work. I was a mess by the time I got there. One of my dreams has always been a ministry retreat, very similar to what you are going for. I've been passionate about aviation my entire life, and I never thought of putting the two together; but that seems like exactly what you have been thinking. God bless you in your endeavor. You've all been a huge blessing to me and my family, more than words can ever express... Thank you.

Now for my idea... simulator cockpits. My passion for aviation took the form of flight simulators (didn't have foamboard). Growing up in the tech bubble, and since my parents were against me joining the air force, I decided the next best thing to flying a real F-16 was a simulator. I've flown flight simulators since the original Microsoft Flight Sim on a IBM PS1 with only a keyboard. Well, things have changed a bit, and now you can get some pretty good fidelity simulators on the cheap. Soooo... I think you should have some simulator cockpits scattered around the new campus for when it's rainy days, or as a good training tool for the transition to full scale. They don't have to be anything special, but kids of all ages love to try their hand at it. I should know, I have seven. You could make some really cool cockpit shells too. I built this one out of mostly scrap wood. Total cost was around $150+ PC and controls. The Kalamazoo Air Zoo has a really cool setup with all their simulators on a mock carrier deck background. Flight simulators in virtual reality is also really cool, and is getting very close to the real thing. Maybe someone has a lead on motion simulators? Ok, now I'm dreaming!

JG

Could not have said it better myself JG! Using the hobby to create an environment where we can love on each other as we SHOULD... Best situation EVER! ha

Thanks for the awesome IDEA as well, I love checking back into this thread to see the new ideas and options we see! We can't wait to see this dream become a reality through not only OUR efforts, but the communities as well... ITS ALL FOR YOU guys! ;)

Blessings and happy flying my friend!
Stefan

Michael9865

Elite member

JG

Yes! Very cool simulator, wow.