Flite Test: Destination Location Comments, Questions, Ideas, Etc!

bitogre

Seeing the talks about "simulator cockpits" gives me my own idea. What about FPV Cockpits? Theoretically the same "simulator cockpits" (or something similar) could be used to also control real FPV model planes/multi-rotors. I'd have the FPV cockpit be a buddy box to a PIC who maintains LOS and ensures the safety of the flight but I think it might be an interesting introduction to flying FPV, especially after learning in a "simulator cockpit".

JGplanes

Seeing the talks about "simulator cockpits" gives me my own idea. What about FPV Cockpits? Theoretically the same "simulator cockpits" (or something similar) could be used to also control real FPV model planes/multi-rotors. I'd have the FPV cockpit be a buddy box to a PIC who maintains LOS and ensures the safety of the flight but I think it might be an interesting introduction to flying FPV, especially after learning in a "simulator cockpit".

I've thought about this quite a bit and have some simple designs in my head. It probably wouldn't be that hard to pull off, but the difference would be in the "feeling" of flight. RC FPV tends to be twichy and better served by the smaller control sticks with faster movement/response time. Also, you would need something the equivalent of a high resolution VR headset hooked to a 360* camera to make it feel like you're there. Right now there is a little disconnect between RC and flight simulation, but if these two ever meshed, it would be amazing. I can see the future... :)

Sorry to hijack the thread. Perhaps FT can make Cockpit FPV into an episode/challenge?

JG

RCdiy

RCdiy
I am so happy about this! FliteTest has been an inspiration to me in so many ways but by far what I love about FT the most is the team's positive energy!

I look forward to being able to maybe book a cottage at the new location and come down for a flying vacation.

Maybe have a bed and breakfast!

I think taking things one step at a time is awesome. Keeping the golf course open for now is good. A side benefit may be that golfers can bring their family and while some golf others may want to build and fly!.

DOG RUN - how about a fenced in area for dogs? It is a small investment to try out. Same rules as any dog park.

The current/former owner is an amazing lady for sure. Imagine putting your life into a dream and then have someone come along and want to change some or everything that you built.

I live outside London Ontario and would love to set up a FliteTest destination. Maybe one day:)

Sun shelter with power for charge stations. Maybe Solar Powered:)

A few enclosed and heated shelters for winter flying.

Water fountains.

Free BBQ with gas. Maybe pay a nominal fee...

Runway - geotextile
Solar Runway Lights ;)

WiFi 5 GHz (802.11a/h/j/n/ac)
If interference is still a problem maybe some areas only with the signal strength turned down.

Last edited:

flitetest

Administrator
Admin
Hey Everyone!

A little update for everyone (and some of you already have seen from the VIDEO we just posted today - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DdI8VpJZQA

Either way, I wanted to make everyone aware of the update! So, right now we are moving forward with clear direction with all the bank and "not so fun" logistics that come with THESE KINDS of acquisitions! I always love FORWARD MOVEMENT as I am sure you all do as well!

So, that being said as we all know JOSH and his wonderful wife JEN will be BUYING the property, it will not be corporately owned. there are multiple reasons behind this, but one of the biggest reasons is that we want our COMMUNITY to have an opportunity to have some type of ownership in this new FT destination location!! We have shot some content explaining in detail of what all of this entails, but Josh and Jen are buying the land and existing infrastructure, but we are going to need the COMMUNITIES help to build out the "Destination Location" part and make it a reality! We want the COMMUNITY to have OWNERSHIP in the history of this awesome location as well as let everyone know that this was built FOR THE COMMUNITY and built with the HELP OF THE COMMUNITY!

We will keep you all updated with the information on the content coming soon, but I def want to hear from ALL OF YOU! Tell us here at FT how your are EXCITED or how you FEEL about this type of FORWARD THINKING! We want to drive this dream forward and it only happens with the COMMUNITIES involvement. YOU are the REASON we are here and you are the REASON why we stay and push this hobby forward in a positive direction!!

So, let us know your thoughts and let us know your HEART!!

Blessings and LETS MAKE SOMETHING AMAZING HAPPEN! ;)

Stefan and the FT crew!

StephanieRose12

Hey Everyone!

A little update for everyone (and some of you already have seen from the VIDEO we just posted today - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DdI8VpJZQA

Either way, I wanted to make everyone aware of the update! So, right now we are moving forward with clear direction with all the bank and "not so fun" logistics that come with THESE KINDS of acquisitions! I always love FORWARD MOVEMENT as I am sure you all do as well!

So, that being said as we all know JOSH and his wonderful wife JEN will be BUYING the property, it will not be corporately owned. there are multiple reasons behind this, but one of the biggest reasons is that we want our COMMUNITY to have an opportunity to have some type of ownership in this new FT destination location!! We have shot some content explaining in detail of what all of this entails, but Josh and Jen are buying the land and existing infrastructure, but we are going to need the COMMUNITIES help to build out the "Destination Location" part and make it a reality! We want the COMMUNITY to have OWNERSHIP in the history of this awesome location as well as let everyone know that this was built FOR THE COMMUNITY and built with the HELP OF THE COMMUNITY!

We will keep you all updated with the information on the content coming soon, but I def want to hear from ALL OF YOU! Tell us here at FT how your are EXCITED or how you FEEL about this type of FORWARD THINKING! We want to drive this dream forward and it only happens with the COMMUNITIES involvement. YOU are the REASON we are here and you are the REASON why we stay and push this hobby forward in a positive direction!!

So, let us know your thoughts and let us know your HEART!!

Blessings and LETS MAKE SOMETHING AMAZING HAPPEN! ;)

Stefan and the FT crew!

Not sure how I can help, but however we can fit in my skill set and other abilities I'm certainly up for helping! Forward movement in a positive direction is always a EXCITING thing to see, and better, to be part of, especially since FT is a big reason for the interest in flight again!

Go FT!!

CrashRecovery

I'm a care bear...Really?
Mentor
FT Crew,
As long as I can fit it into my schedule, my tools and limited skills a yours. I'm pretty good in a bobcat just ask TJ!!!!!

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Extremely excited for Josh, Jen, FT, and all the FT community. I was wondering how the progression was moving along, and am looking forward to contributing any way I can.

Cheers!
LitterBug

RCdiy

RCdiy
Rental cabins for the folks that can't RV or tent on site.
+1
wifi

hold build work parties for things like sunshelters

runway with runway lights

creat a club which we could join and pay annual dues to help cover expenses.
$20/year would be something I would kick in. Or start a Patreon and we will kick in what we can.
This may be a drop in the bucket but it will make me feel like I helping from a distance.

I expect that flight fest east will be held here?

Last edited:

JUSS10

I like Biplanes
This is just too cool! I'm very excited for upcoming info on all this. Maybe a podcast dedicated to it? Haven't seen a new podcast in a while!

I know there a couple guys around me in west Michigan who I'm sure would all be willing to come down for a weekend or something to work on projects if the need is there.

I'm pretty pumped to see where this is all going to go, and to see the passion that Josh has for this vision is quite contagious!

Justin

DNeuens

My son and I were lucky enough to meet Josh and Alex briefly at EAA this year. Josh autographed my sons FT hat and spoke with me about the purchase of the property and the vision of the destination location. I could hear the passion in his voice and see the look in his eyes when he spoke about it. I didn't really understand the scale of what he was proposing in the couple of minutes we had face to face. Then I listened to one of the more recent podcasts, Josh got on the topic of the destination location and I immediately heard that passion in his voice. The more he spoke about it the stronger it got. I was practically in tears myself after listening because I came to a realization. That this is a realization of a dream, not just for Josh and FliteTest but for everyone with a passion for Aviation of all types. And especially the realization of a dream for every kid that would hear the sound of an airplane engine and run out of the house, look up to the sky to see what it is and dream about being the one flying that plane. For every kid who had to grow up and life's paths haven't led to that reality yet. I can say I was/am that kid. Now with a career, a wife, and 2 young kids I still love anything that flies but RC is more in the realm of affordable reality. My point to all of this is that from they way Josh describes what this will be is a place I would have begged my parents to take me. Forget Disney I want to go to FliteTest. It will be a place I can bring the family, who may not necessarily share my passion for flight but won't be board either. All I can say is thank you! I hope to be able to help out with making this a reality, if you have any use for a guy who turns wrenches on boats for a living. 

Blessings,
Dan

Last edited:

Jaybird14

Wow,
All these great ideas, options and potential. I cannot wait to see and hope to visit an aviation destination focused on family and friends. Flite test has proven both on screen and in person that to have a great experience it is really about the people.
My suggestion is keep up the caring friends and family atmosphere and the physical amenities will work themselves out.

Thank you Flite test and have a Merry Christmas.

Jay

GRW3

How about an open house the same weekend as the Toledo sho? I go every ten years or so. I like to go on Friday. To get decent prices on airline tickets, you have to stay over until Sunday. Last time we went, we day tripped to the AMA and Wright Pat Museums.

Balu

Lurker
Staff member
Admin
Could we please get an update?

Would you consider Josh working on a hobby shop an update?

(Posted by Jen on Facebook and Instagram, sorry can't seem to be able to link to them)

Last edited:

flitetest

Administrator
Admin
HAHA! Love it Bitogre! So close... but yes, FEBRUARY 5th is the Crowd Funding Campaign launch! We are super excited about it as well as looking forward to seeing how the community responds to it! Also DEF check out the podcast where Josh and Austin go a little more in depth about everything! ;)

Also...Sometimes people do not have a monetary amount to give, but maybe they work for or own a company that has resources that could be used to build on or build up the location(construction companies, electricians, etc) . We are definitely open to the idea of having businesses coming on board in that way to help build out the property for sure!

Welp, that is all for now! If I have any other updates I will be sure to let everyone know!!

Blessings,
Stefan