Foam Wonder by SP0NZ

speedy7385

@FlyingTyger Thanks for the reminder that hot glue is not my only option. I took your route with the wing. Hot glue on the spars and Elmer's clear on the fold scores. I don't usually have the patience to make these builds multi day projects, but I thought I'd give it a try this time.

Wing drying before final assembly:
View attachment 229045

And the fuse mocked up, not glued yet:

View attachment 229046

Next question: How to tape reinforce the firewall?
I use his standard firewall, more contact area to the side of the foam board.
https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?resources/standard-swappable-firewall.294/

luvmy40

Elite member
Day 2:

Foam Wonder 2.jpg

Foam Wonder 3.jpg

So, I finished gluing the H Stab down and looked down to se the rear fuse former lying on the floor. Doh! Oh well, it feels darn sturdy without it!

I just need to install the elevator servo and motor, then do the linkages.

I just glued the battery tray in from the bottom. The straps I have won't fit through the slots. I'll just add a strip of velcro to hold the battery and receiver.

Last edited:

Spitfire76

Doing a dry fit of the fuse doublers. Is the 3d printed battery tray in the correct position ?

Attachments

• IMG_3445.JPG
    IMG_3445.JPG
    54.8 KB · Views: 0

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Thanks, I wasn't sure as I didn't see the corresponding strap holes in the foam battery tray part but I can of course easily cut them out. BTW love that battery hatch design.
The strap holes are in the plate so that you can glue in the strap with the plate (permanently attached). If you want to strap thru the foam you could add slots in the foam piece for that.

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
I have update the links on the first post to include all 5 plan sets on the Resources page. Over the next few weeks I plan on documenting a full build thread/guide. Have a WONDERful day. :cool:

First, Thanks everyone here for adding photos, it helped me get started build this plane. I've been working on a different way to add and remove wings. I thought this would be a great plane to try out this idea. I've used rubber bands on removable wings, but rubber bands stretch and rot so I'm always change the bands. Using Bamboo Skewers you don't have this problems. I'll let you know how she flies. Any other ideas would be helpful.
20221022_112414.jpg
20221022_112433.jpg
20221022_112439.jpg
20221022_112447.jpg
20221022_112523.jpg

Michael9865

Elite member
First, Thanks everyone here for adding photos, it helped me get started build this plane. I've been working on a different way to add and remove wings. I thought this would be a great plane to try out this idea. I've used rubber bands on removable wings, but rubber bands stretch and rot so I'm always change the bands. Using Bamboo Skewers you don't have this problems. I'll let you know how she flies. Any other ideas would be helpful.

Looks nice. Did you add any gift card or wooden reinforcements to prevent the skewer holes from ripping out or becoming loose?

Spitfire76

I built and maiden mine back in September/October and really love the design.
  • Symmetrical wing so great for aerobatics and combat.
  • Enclosed battery compartment.
  • Very robust construction.
  • Community available free plans.
More recently I took it to my club field yesterday and it flew just great although I must admit its a rather fast plane for my piloting skills. I did install the Aura 5 Lite which helps me get out of trouble but I didn't make the best belly landing on our runway and the firewall is now a little loose but nothing some fresh hot glue won't fix. I plan on configuring flapperons on the Aura to slow it down on landing.

IMG_3579.JPG