Ft viggen group build!

Matagami Designs

Master member
I learned to solder in Electronics class in High School. Super careful with the soldering iron, just enough heat to do the job. Very precise and pretty difficult. I was having a bear of a time soldering the connectors necessary for these birds, when my uncle, @sundown57 shared a bit of wisdom. Not a soldering iron. A soldering gun. High heat. As high as it will go. Use the flux. Not just the flux in the center of the solder, actually use a can of flux and liberally coat either end.

Coating either end in flux and just touching the hot tip of the soldering iron? Boom. Solid joins in almost no time at all. Not nearly enough time for the heat to damage anything. It's nearly instantaneous. It was a serious game changer for me. ;)

Yeah I watched a instructional video a few weeks back and realized that the heat wasnt transfering because my tip wasnt tinned properly. I eventually got the job done but the connectors were quite distorted. I picked up a can of flux today since I knew this was immenite. Hopefully I can tin it better now. Just need to pick up some bullet connectors. The edf motor has 3.5mm and the esc is 4mm... Sold this way as a kit. Jerks.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
I learned to solder in Electronics class in High School. Super careful with the soldering iron, just enough heat to do the job. Very precise and pretty difficult. I was having a bear of a time soldering the connectors necessary for these birds, when my uncle, @sundown57 shared a bit of wisdom. Not a soldering iron. A soldering gun. High heat. As high as it will go. Use the flux. Not just the flux in the center of the solder, actually use a can of flux and liberally coat either end.

Coating either end in flux and just touching the hot tip of the soldering iron? Boom. Solid joins in almost no time at all. Not nearly enough time for the heat to damage anything. It's nearly instantaneous. It was a serious game changer for me. ;)
I’ll need to try the extra flux thing! I use a soldering gun though. I didn’t know @sundown57 was your uncle...

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
So @BATTLEAXE what do you think about this for the kfm wing? I’m going to try to get the viggen done within the next week or two. I’m getting low on tractor style props cause this cold weather without snow to cushion the landings is brutal on them. I end up breaking them every time it seems which is a blow to my ego😆😂 so I need a pusher plane for this weather. I have an extra b pack so that will be put to use either as the swappable pod or a simple firewall.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
So you are going to do the Viggen as a pusher, with a swappable pod, B pack, with a KFm wing? Sorry I am confused, what's the question?
Wow - what a stupid mistake! I forgot to include the picture 🙄. I was wondering if this is a good size for the top layer of the kfm wing. And you ironed the le on both the top and bottom the wing to get a sharp le, right? Sorry for the confusion.

Attachments

• E9E64AF2-AA09-427A-B269-03975BEAACA1.jpeg
    E9E64AF2-AA09-427A-B269-03975BEAACA1.jpeg
    832.7 KB · Views: 0

sundown57

Legendary member
Another simple way to solder the bullet connectors is to put the bullet in a small clamp and just heat it up with a Bic lighter, dip your solder into the can of flux and fill the hole in the connector with solder, while keeping the connector hot dip the wire in the flux and stick it into the molting solder and stop the heat . it will cool instantly and stick the wire. it does it so fast you can hole the wire with your fingers. The heat won't travel at all. You can also use the same technique to unsolder old connecters and reuse them, if the old wire is broke off inside just solder a new wire in beside the old one, let it cool. the heat it up again while pulling on the wire and it will pull all the solder and old wire out of the hole.

Last edited:

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Another simple way to solder the bullet connectors is to put the bullet in a small clamp and just heat it up with a Bic lighter, dip your solder into the can of flux and fill the hole in the connector with solder, while keeping the connector hot dip the wire in the flux and stick it into the molting solder and stop the heat . it will cool instantly and stick the wire. it does it so fast you can hole the wire with your fingers. The heat won't travel at all. You can also use the same technique to unsolder old connecters and reuse them, if the old wire is broke off inside just solder a new wire in beside the old one, let it cool. the heat it up again while pulling on the wire and it will pull all the solder and old wire out of the hole.

I might copy and paste this vid to the Quick Tips thread if you don't mind my friend. It's a good vid