Ft viggen group build!

L Edge

Master member
After finding in my "boneyard" a 70 mm 5 bladed EDF (4s) and doing some reading and looking at videos, decided I want to continue my research with TV, canards and my "thrusters" will work in a 70's condition.

I am not into very high speed (did Formula 1 at 180+mph) and want to evaluate:
1) canards(why 10 degrees)
2) acrobatic limits
3) ways to increase high alpha(yeah, fight the wing wobble)
4) slow down landings
5) does "thrusters" improve(higher pressure, more flow, higher angle, even hover)
6) landing gear

Since my F-22 has the same stuff, (64 5 bladed EDF, moving canards, "thrusters", thrust vectoring unit), what will act the same?, anything improve?. The biggest I am hoping for is that the internal pressure is higher , giving it more stability in roll,

This video shows my canards in action the elevator with the action of the thrust vectoring all working at the same time as well as the rudder being the TV. 3 surfaces to change the pitch axis!!! At 1:40, it is just able to hover quickly in both videos.

Can you turn your jet that sharp in that small area?

Why, would you ask I do this? Have you seen anybody do "the Cobra". Show me someone who can fly fast, yank the plane 110 degrees back and then move back to forward flight without losing altitude. Loss of Altitude is the killer.

So, will the Viggen and the 70 improve what I have?

All depends on the internal pressure and the canards and my modifications.

Last edited:

L Edge

Master member
Excellant. Think of the number of G's you are pulling.
Did you set the TV throw's as the same as the elevator. You should explore with less/more and see what happens?
Hope your battery is secure and velcro is secured to frame of plane. Add yaw and it did on mime the first time.

Last edited:

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Better late then never!
@Photo001 built it, I am flying with a camera on my head.

Nice! TV is awesome! I can’t wait to get mine in the air. Haven’t made much progress as I was waiting to decide wether I was going to do an edf or not, but now that I’ve got the TV unit built, the build should go pretty quick...

L Edge

Master member
Cut out plans for 70mm EDF. Have some problems laying out 2D TV unit with additional servos(2) within fuse.
For those who have done prop units, does the CG match, need to be moved forward or back?
Reason why, the extra weight of servos and TV unit.

Photo001

Cut out plans for 70mm EDF. Have some problems laying out 2D TV unit with additional servos(2) within fuse.
For those who have done prop units, does the CG match, need to be moved forward or back?
Reason why, the extra weight of servos and TV unit.

CG must stay in the same location. On mine, I made a place for the battery to move forward into the nose of the Viggen in order to offset the extra weight of the TV mount. I was also able to place the servo for the TV next to the battery and run a control wire to the rear of the plane.

Lane

L Edge

Master member
CG must stay in the same location. On mine, I made a place for the battery to move forward into the nose of the Viggen in order to offset the extra weight of the TV mount. I was also able to place the servo for the TV next to the battery and run a control wire to the rear of the plane.

Lane

Thanks!!! Get your video up yet?

Photo001

@The Hangar ,

Sorry for the delay, was out of town for a few days.

Here are some pics of my Viggen. I designed my own TV mount that incorporates some support for the entire rear section of the fuselage.

STL's attached

Attachments

• IMG_4884.JPG
    IMG_4884.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4885.JPG
    IMG_4885.JPG
  • IMG_4888.JPG
    IMG_4888.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4889.JPG
    IMG_4889.JPG
  • IMG_4891.JPG
    IMG_4891.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • TV Fuselage Mount.stl
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • TV Motor Mount-01.stl
    1.4 MB · Views: 0

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
@The Hangar ,

Sorry for the delay, was out of town for a few days.

Here are some pics of my Viggen. I designed my own TV mount that incorporates some support for the entire rear section of the fuselage.

STL's attached
Awesome! I think I’ll see if I can find someone to 3D print this for me... Aren't there companies you can pay to print things for you?

Photo001

Awesome! I think I’ll see if I can find someone to 3D print this for me... Aren't there companies you can pay to print things for you?

I believe there are, but can't think of anyone locally. I can always print these out for you if you would like, you're not too far away. I'm in Leduc.

Lane

L Edge

Master member
I am using the blue foam to build the viggen and it is very time consuming to cut and peel out the sections so it's the right angles.

IMG_0268.JPG

You will notice that the canard has a servo attached to it which will be glued in the inlet slot. Found the balance point of the canard and then glued a long servo to the canard. Purpose is to be able to adjust it by a tx knob so the best angle of flight can be found during level flight. Once that is found, I am going to use it to pitch the Viggen by incorporating the elevator and canard together.

IMG_0270.JPG

Explored this method with a F-22 and it really sharpened up the pitch doing acrobatics as well as high alpha.

Now the problem is to work the 5 bladed 70 mmEDF and the thrust vectoring control in the back end. It requires 2 servos within the plane so got to figure out how to arrange the setuo so if I need to adjust the trims, I can.

This is my rig.

IMG_0269.JPG

The 2 vertical arms I will hacksaw off the TV unit and somehow get the servos inside the plane. That's what it is all about.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
I am using the blue foam to build the viggen and it is very time consuming to cut and peel out the sections so it's the right angles.

View attachment 145005

You will notice that the canard has a servo attached to it which will be glued in the inlet slot. Found the balance point of the canard and then glued a long servo to the canard. Purpose is to be able to adjust it by a tx knob so the best angle of flight can be found during level flight. Once that is found, I am going to use it to pitch the Viggen by incorporating the elevator and canard together.

View attachment 145006

Explored this method with a F-22 and it really sharpened up the pitch doing acrobatics as well as high alpha.

Now the problem is to work the 5 bladed 70 mmEDF and the thrust vectoring control in the back end. It requires 2 servos within the plane so got to figure out how to arrange the setuo so if I need to adjust the trims, I can.

This is my rig.

View attachment 145007

The 2 vertical arms I will hacksaw off the TV unit and somehow get the servos inside the plane. That's what it is all about.
Great idea with the canards! I’m eager to see a thrust vectoring edf setup - @Photo001 built a prop thrust vectoring system and that’s my plan as well.

L Edge

Master member
I am adapting the EDF to add the TV nozzle. Today I adjusted(guesswork) the EDF by moving it forward and built in the TV unit. Now I have to solve the servo problem because it is larger than the exhaust area. Now, youcan ee why I am using movable canards so I can straight and level flight? Did the same for a F-22 I designed.

IMG_0276.JPG

I can't glue or button this plane up until I solve all of the internal problems. So it is piecemeal every day.

L Edge

Master member
Have given a lot of thought over the weekend and decided to move forward.

Since I am adding the ball TV nozzle, and 4 servos(movable canards) it adds weight and the key to any airplane is to keep it light. So, I decided to add additional area to the wing and ended up with an approximately 32.5 sq in of additional area. I moved the elevons back(same width), went wide on the upper wing junction and went out with the wing and faired everything so it looks the same. Left the orginal pattern on so you can see the additional area.

IMG_0282(1).JPG

To keep the wing rigid, I use carbon rods (lighter, straighter, stronger than wood dowels) and not as thick as the wood. I am using for the rear one that is 2/3 thickness of the material and for the upper, 1/3 the thickness of the material.

Lokk at the rod compared to the pin for the front.
IMG_0283(1).JPG

Here is a tip that I found. The speed is going to be on the quick side, so elevon flutter could be a problem. So I am mounting the carbon rod very close to the pivot point of the control surface to prevent this problem and any bending of the control surface..

NOTE: IF YOU ARE GOING TO BUILD THIS MODEL USING A 70MM EDF, I WOULD SCALE IT UP TO 110 % TO ALLOW FOR SOME ROOM FOR THE SERVOS INSIDE THE FUSE.

Since the servos have to be 90 degrees apart(for 2 axis), the fuse is not wide enough and I am ending up having to install the elevator thrust on top and having to cut a slot for the wire. The TV yaw servo is going to fit inside the fuse if everything works out. I have to get the wing elevon servos located before I can start to buttoning it up.

IMG_0284.JPG

Next problem will be with the movable canards to trim it, movable for pitch axis and the third I am going to add is aileron and pitch together. Yes, I already had a model that allowed a second pair of elevons in the nose. Improved the acrobatic as well as increasing high alpha angle without wing wobble.

Last edited:

L Edge

Master member
Finally glue the EDF and TV nozzle in and that caused a number of problems. Point to mentioned is that the servos must be aligned in the 2 axis or they produce side forces in the other axis.
IMG_0286.JPG

I ended up from front of fan to end of TV nozzle, 10.25 inches. Because of fixed width, had to gouge out servo, so arm is past the outside. No choice.

IMG_0288(1).JPG

IMG_0287.JPG

IMG_0289.JPG

Had to cut slot on top so wire clears fuse and good point, I used the slot to properly line up tube and glue it in.
Did wiring for ESC and will mount so it has airflow to keep it cool.

Slow but sure, problems are still present until it is ready to fly.