FTFC'18 WWII - Ushakov LPL Flying Submarine by FoamyDM

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
This looks cool, really cool. And I'm sure it'll continue to progress.

Looking at it though I'm also thinking of all the places for water to seep in.

Regarding the blast concerns, when you were doing the foam and weight tests, was it with just the pieces of foam stacked and the LiPo's on top or was it with the pieces formed?

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
JimCR120 - So, it's supposed to have water seep and fill the entire plane except a small WT container for the receiver everything else gets water proofed. The holes just need to be smaller than the bilge pump can pump out. thereby fill with air faster. As it does this is floats more. with a drain hole or two in the bottom of the wings, permitting low spots not draining to the pontoons to gravity drain.

I sit here now noticing I'm just now sitting to do a little work on the plane. I always keep thinking oh, I'll have plenty of time tonight/this weekend, and then it comes up and I realize the days just got sucked away through scout fundraising, a forgotten obligation or a pet appt. or a short notice game night were all four of us were laughing until 2:30. at points so hard we were wiping away tears and just had to sit down on the floor cause standing wasn't working...

I found a new fast friend, and I think I may have my partner in crime with the planes here. So well worth it.

I'm going to glue the pontoons without access holes for water or the bilge hose. the whole wing should be rebuild before the big sink.

FoamyDM

Side note - I really need to get a dedicated work area for this stuff. My dining room table turns into the gaming table, and D&D table.
This is the 3rd time I've spent over 10 mins looking for something that must be in one these here boxes...

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
I know your frustrations oh so well. Family, job, home maintenance, etc. There are so many things that come before the hobby. I try to save a day for just R&R but that doesn't always work either.

On the buoyancy issue, if you think you are too buoyant, could you substitute something for the regular foam in some places? With some thought, I'd bet another structurally sound, light, but not so buoyant material could be made to work. (gift card plastic, picnic plate foam, thermal laminate, plastic from 2 or 3 liter bottles)

We're all eager for this one but if we have to wait then we have to wait. Priorities are priorities and we all need to be responsible. If we need to wait on this build, it will be worth it.

FoamyDM

Invisible Jet

I know your frustrations oh so well. Family, job, home maintenance, etc. There are so many things that come before the hobby. I try to save a day for just R&R but that doesn't always work either.
Thanks Jim. I've noticed that I have about a 15min of wind in my sails once pulled out of a task to get into the next. *squirrel* and if spend 10min looking for something (not always finding it) It get's put asides for another day for something else which prolongs completion. *Squirrel* I know most of us have that to some degree.

Kinda like in Sharpening in Woodworking - you want is EASY to do. A dull tool is dangerous and there can't be any reason for the though,"eh, I have to dig out the sharper", or "I have to pull the sharpener out first before I even start." *squirrel* (I know I sounds like a teen) so I need a setup where getting what I need or pulling the tools out and back are simple. (soldering)

On the buoyancy issue, if you think you are too buoyant, could you substitute something for the regular foam in some places? With some thought, I'd bet another structurally sound, light, but not so buoyant material could be made to work. (gift card plastic, picnic plate foam, thermal laminate, plastic from 2 or 3 liter bottles)

LOL that gave me a vision of the Invisible Jet! XD ...Which would look totally awesome! I'll have to look into that...
Makes me wish I had a laser cutter.

I have been considering alternatives for sure. Plastic or aluminum sheeting is at the fore-front of that race.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
If you have been or still are contemplating the old AL from old cans etc there is yet another jointing method though it requires an internal structure. I have seen engine cowls and fuselage sheeting on WWI models that used the AL sheet and secured using PINS cut to length and pushed through holes in the sheeting into the cap strips on the wing ribs and fuselage longerons. Glue was applied to the holes and the shortened pins pushed home. The heads of the pins look like the old style raised head rivets. With a coat of clear to protect then from rusting the look is quite convincing.

Have fun!

FoamyDM

If I go that path Hai-Lee, I was thinking of using flat headed push pins just not sure how to rivet punch the back, but this method uses CA glue(?) and the wing structure to perform that function. Do have a link for an example/article/video? I'd like to see more.

If would like to do this on later revisions after I prove the concept and function. Thanks.

Didn't do much last night on this plane. But I did fit aileron servos in. Tonight will be hooking it up and testing it.
Maybe a maiden flight tomorrow. *crossed fingers*

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Sadly I am yet to perfect the computer interface between my memory and the internet. Best write up I saw was on an old construction article published back in the late 70's early 80's. Sadly at this time I am unable to remember/picture the publication details.

Next time I spend a day researching structures and techniques on the internet I will add it to the search.

Good luck with the maiden, (flight?), though I suspect the baptism will generate more interest!

Have fun!

FoamyDM

Thank you for the Link!

I am VERY interested.... I need pick up a small ball peen and snippers, and a roll of Pins. (and an anvil to make armor)... Even if I don't do it for this project I have to try this anyway.

My thoughts are running to 3D printed the ribs, CF wing struts, Foam in the tips. Skin with Aluminum can and form it up.

I just thought about this... I will be able to fly this in the rain! All day long! :D

FoamyDM

I recently setup my motors, I just need to put together a battery splitter to get a battery or two hooked to the three Motors.
Busy weekend, but I'm hoping to give it a whirl.

FoamyDM

Motor Test - check

I managed to put together a splitter to bring power to the outboard motors. I had to cut out a notch just in front of the fuselage spar cut-out to accommodate the wires. I also put in three 6x4 props.

I have channel 3 linked to 5 and 6. And a mix of the rudder (ch4) to 5 and 6.

Here's a link to the video test.

There props spinning is scary. When trying to figure out with my the center Motor spins up at 35%. Throttle is 100 and the outboard are 135, When at rest. g

Going to sleep now.

FoamyDM

Thanks, me too.

16th century Germanic Replica.

I can't find a good way to change the Gear and Flap Channel End points on my AT-10...

I will get this moving Saturday... I had 2-3S 2200mAh 30C batteries. One for the main motor, and one for the other two.
Based on the pull I'm getting, I think she'll fly well. even with all the batteries.

Spacewalker

Whoa! When you said flyin' sub I thought you were being sarcastic,… this thing is sweet dude!

Spacewalker pic.png :black_eyed:

FoamyDM

The Plan

Thanks Spacewalker!

I had Cub Scout fundraising take over this past weekend. With teaching STEM to Scout Leaders this weekend (during FFE:() means earliest is Sunday. It has been picture perfect for flying for 6 of the past 7 days. And has been KILL-ing me. Right now it sits on the Dining room table ready to go. Looks like sunday should be ripe for the Maiden
Weather 1105.JPG

All the pump components came in. and the sensor and motors switches to get the torpedoes started.

Once this flies, I will see how much weight it takes to sink. Then I will tighten up the designs and I will re-build using the polyurethane technique, and install the bilge pump and and work on the dual-shaft coupling system with sled and have it fly/water land/Sink.

FoamyDM

WWII Russian Pizza Pie

I hope those that went to FFE had a blast this weekend. Life went topsy-turvy this weekend. Got out on Monday as the sun went down.

Here's what happened:

Turns out a quick prop swap didn't help matters in the short run. I did get it up.... For about 30-40 ft... Inverted... I crashed it in the attempt to flip it over... Alas... I need wheels, or a better hand launch.

Enjoy!