FTFC21 - Seaplane Design & Build by Test Fly RC,de Havilland Sea Vixen

Test Fly RC

Elite member
In this thread I will post pictures (and maybe videos) of my progress of designing and building a foam board de Havilland Sea Vixen!

Here's a picture of the full scale de Havilland Sea Vixen!
de Havilland Sea Vixen.jpg

I designed a one motor and a twin motor de Havilland Sea Vixen more than a year ago!
Here's the picture of the twin motor one!
dh sea vixen gideon pic..JPG

I'm going to redesign a one motor FB de Havilland Sea Vixen using these blueprints, Inkskape and maybe some of the old school way of designing without a computer!
de_havilland_dh_110_sea_vixen.jpg

Last edited:

Test Fly RC

Elite member
From Wikipedia,

The de Havilland DH.110 Sea Vixen is a British twin-engine, twin boom-tailed, two-seat, carrier-based fleet air-defence fighter flown by the Royal Navy's Fleet Air Arm during the 1950s through to the early 1970s.
The Sea Vixen was designed by the de Havilland Aircraft Company during the late 1940s at its Hatfield aircraft factory in Hertfordshire, developed from the company's earlier first generation jet fighters.[a] It was later called the Hawker Siddeley Sea Vixen after de Havilland was absorbed by the Hawker Siddeley Corporation in 1960.
The Sea Vixen had the distinction of being the first British two-seat combat aircraft to achieve supersonic speed, albeit not in level flight. Operating from British aircraft carriers, it was used in combat over Tanganyika and over Yemen during the Aden Emergency. In 1972, the Sea Vixen was phased out in favour of the American-made McDonnell Douglas Phantom FG.1 interceptor. There have been no flying Sea Vixens since 2017.

I wanna see how yours works.
I really don't understand what you're saying, but I normally just use a full-size plane for inspiration and change anything I feel the need to change, but that's just my personal preference. You know I'm joking about the crooked canopy! But that plane, I like the geometry. When I think it's time to build a single pusher prop twin boom plane, a Sea Vixen will be a good start.

quorneng

Master member
A Sea Vixen canopy is crooked, well it is off set to the left so the radar operator can be 'buried' to the right. Not a popular position with no visibility and unlike the pilot no ejection seat either!o_O
As you asked. Two 40 mm EDFs on 2s with 'printed' tail cones to give an 85% FSA nozzle.
CmpltEDFs.JPG

All made in just 2 & 3mm Depron. True monocoque construction so the skin takes all all the loads. There is no wing spar!
Makes a nice noise.
Still can't imagine it as a seaplane. ;)

A Sea Vixen canopy is crooked, well it is off set to the left so the radar operator can be 'buried' to the right. Not a popular position with no visibility and unlike the pilot no ejection seat either!o_O
As you asked. Two 40 mm EDFs on 2s with 'printed' tail cones to give an 85% FSA nozzle.
View attachment 202107
All made in just 2 & 3mm Depron. True monocoque construction so the skin takes all all the loads. There is no wing spar!
Makes a nice noise.
Wow. You really didn't get the joke. Of course the canopy is offset. Anyway, that's a really nice model.

cyclone3350

Master member
View attachment 202107
Makes a nice noise.

What 40's R U using? I think a set of streamlined pontoons mounted under the wings inline with the tail booms might be one way to do it. Post a vid if U can. I wanna hear that noise.

A bit of a stretch to turn a Sea Vixen into a seaplane.
I think a set of streamlined pontoons mounted under the wings inline with the tail booms might be one way to do it.
Yeah that was my first thought too. I think the only other option would be a single main float and two stubby outriggers each halfway out the length of the wing. :unsure: I keep wondering if a wider & shallower float might work and suit the plane better... ? Probably not I guess.

quorneng

Master member
cyclone3350
The word "noise" in my post is a link to the flight video. They are AEO 40 mm. Not powerful but they are really light which suits the all Depron lightweight construction. I have used 4 in an all Depron Concorde and even a single in a sub 250g DH Venom.

cyclone3350

Master member
cyclone3350
The word "noise" in my post is a link to the flight video. They are AEO 40 mm. Not powerful but they are really light which suits the all Depron lightweight construction. I have used 4 in an all Depron Concorde and even a single in a sub 250g DH Venom.

Thanks. I enjoyed the video. The landing sure does show solid aerodynamic qualities. I hope you continue further to adapting it for the sea. U R giving us a work out for the competition. That gets U the (y)(y)(y).(y)(y) x 10-10th. three point two like times ten to the tenth power award.

Test Fly RC

Elite member
I redid some of what you see in the picture above, I upsized the h-stab and v-stabs.
I'll post some pictures later on.
Here's the video of it flying:
(My brother videoed with his runcam 5 so the audio and video might not be the best)
(Sorry it took me so long to post this)